Notices

Day 23..stressed but learning new coping skills

Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 23..stressed but learning new coping skills

Sorry in advance for this long post, but just wanted to share. To start, I started 2 jobs last week. One is counseling vets, which I love, the second waitressing..which my first non-training shift is tonight. When I was going through college, I was a waitress for ten years, and loved it. Now for some reason, psychologically it is bothering me. O yea, started therapy last week and we are working on that. Well this a.m. took train home from my best friends, got caught in a down pour (didn't bother me when I'd walk 3 miles in the rain for a 3 dollars shot of wine). Then went to the gym, had either a blonde moment or paws, locked my phone in locker which has my combination lock in it (got it clipped). I get home, my maintenance bill arrived, I am being charged still for legal fees from 6 months ago. Panick mode sets in. I show my dad the bill, he is helping till I get back on my feet..and I see the stress. Self-pity starts, only for a short period. I make a cup of tea and realize, lock is replaceable, I will dry, and how lucky am I that my dad can still help!!! I just hope my shift tonight isn't like my morning
Old 07-29-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll figure all this out.

Waitressing - I did it for 15 years on and off. It's the best and the worst, depending on all sorts of uncontrollable factors.

My thinking back on it:
  • People who sit down in a restaurant are hungry. They become much nicer when they have food.
  • Some people don't tip - for no reason.
  • Some people over tip - for no reason. It balances out.
  • The kitchen guys and gals get overwhelmed and make mistakes. Roll with it.
  • Let it go. The best part is you can walk away from any annoyance and it will be gone soon. Just quietly walk away, and be glad you aren't a cashier in a grocery store, tied to your checkstand.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck with your shift tonight Determined. You'll do great.
While things are stressful, it does sound like they're also sorting themselves out.
Very well done on Day 23!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ty so much. I hate starting any new job lol.. I like to be the one everyone comes to with there problems
Old 07-29-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Determined1977 View Post
Ty so much. I hate starting any new job lol.. I like to be the one everyone comes to with there problems
Good luck with the job.
Um...... I'm mostly the one folk come to with problems in the work place and I've been giving this some thought just lately. It can be pretty stressful sometimes, also it doesn't always work the other way with some folk, like you're not supposed to have needs of your own if your always there for them..................
Just thoughts, hope you're happy in your new job(s).
xx
Old 07-29-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ty fair2go.. will update tonight
Old 07-29-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You'll figure all this out.

Waitressing - I did it for 15 years on and off. It's the best and the worst, depending on all sorts of uncontrollable factors.

My thinking back on it:
  • People who sit down in a restaurant are hungry. They become much nicer when they have food.
  • Some people don't tip - for no reason.
  • Some people over tip - for no reason. It balances out.
  • The kitchen guys and gals get overwhelmed and make mistakes. Roll with it.
  • Let it go. The best part is you can walk away from any annoyance and it will be gone soon. Just quietly walk away, and be glad you aren't a cashier in a grocery store, tied to your checkstand.
I worked in bars/restaurants for years. For the most part I enjoyed it (every job has a down side ) but this synopsis is right on the money!

Congrats on day 23
Old 07-29-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ty... in the past 3 years I have screwed up amazing careers and so-so job (ironically last one was a detox counselor), due to only MY DRINKING. Now that I am sober, I'm nervous that there is a chance of failure, even at waitressing. That scares me...my other job, counseling veterans no anxiety at all. Ugh...hope it goes well tonight. Thank you for letting me share, it's lessening my anxiety.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes tonight determined
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 23 days btw.... Awesome job!
Old 07-29-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ty resoberality