Notices

Day 2! New to here..

Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2! New to here..

Hello all! So little on me - I'm 27. Loved to drink from the time I turned 21. I went from a drink on weekends, to a drink every night, to drinking from morning to night. I'd say about 1.75 L to 2L of Vodka a week. It was tough for me. I knew I was wrong and hurting myself. But I never had hangovers so I kept going. A High Functioning Alcoholic I suppose they'd call it.

I decided finally to stop because I cannot even remember conversations with my wife. I tell her things and she will tell me how we discussed all of this just the night before. I hated that feeling and am ready for a change.

So here I am Day 2! I was going to taper off, but decided to go Cold Turkey, which I know isn't the right thing to do. But here I am. 37 hours in and so far no withdrawals at all yet. Not even a craving. It is strange... but hey I am not going to question it! I hope I stay this way and nothing bad happens. I just wanted to thank everyone. I got a lot of confidence and determination reading these posts. Thank you. I'll keep updates!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR, Revan! You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sure the monitors will help you with this but you need a plan. Your AV will come at some point and you need to figure out how to shut it down, turn it off and ride it out. I think with such an "easy" detox your having it will be very easy for you to tell yourself in a few days that your not an alcoholic and that you can control your drinking. I'm only speaking from experience here. Set up your plan so your ready if you do have cravings. Keep posting and updating all of us on your journey to sobriety.... and WELCOME!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Great job on not drinking. Quitting drinking is relatively easy staying quit is a whole other story. I highly recommend a sobriety plan.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Reven
Old 07-28-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For sure guys. Yeah, I am definitely looking into my options. My church has stepped in and offered help to me so that is fabulous and I'm super thankful for that.

And hey! I'm at 45 hours sober! Only 3 more hours to hit that 48 marker. My wife left for work and there is alcohol in the house. I really don't have a urge at the moment to drink, but I gotta get rid of this stuff because I know that urge will come soon enough.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. Congrats on 2 days!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Revan

I hope I stay this way and nothing bad happens.
I hope so too...but a good plan will be a back up just in case

this is a great link to get you started with some ideas
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
D
Old 07-28-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Revan; so glad that you found and joined us.

Dee's link is fantastic!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Revan
Old 07-28-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome Revan Sr has experience strength and hope you can draw upon
Old 07-28-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to all of you. Just knowing there are people out there I can talk to and are hoping for my success is just awesome!

I'm now at 50 hours sober! I went out with my wife to eat tonight and did get Anxiety, felt like a attack was coming on. Not sure if it was a withdraw symptom or just me being anxious which is fairly normal for me. But I held out and am feeling better now.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Revan! I'm so glad you've decided to make this big change in your life.

I started out the same as you, & ended up drinking 'round the clock. It feels so good to be free of it. Your anxiety will lessen - lean on us any time. Welcome.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you!

So today is beginning of Day 3 and I slept like a baby finally. Hadn't been able to sleep the other nights. And I woke up feeling good, just been feeling really tired so far. But besides that all is well.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was exhausted in the early days, Revan. I'm glad you got some sleep - that's often a problem. Congrats on Day 3.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welp, it's been 72 hours officially. Still feeling good, but I am definitely starting to think about drinking again.

I have this voice in my head saying 1 shot isn't bad. I know where that leads. Fortunately there is no alcohol in the house anymore so that is good.

My headache/anxiety has also passed from last night. I'm about to help my wife make dinner. I'm excited to wake up tomorrow and remember it ha. Have a good one guys/gals.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

One is too many a thousand is never enough - truest words ever spoke about ppl like us
Old 07-30-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Rev,

Hi and welcome.

I was drinking less than you when I quit, but drank more than that at various points in my drunken days.

So from me..... next thing.......sorry but.......you are addicted. Alcohol addict to me equals alcoholic.

The switch has flipped, you will alway crave the buzz. It is a chronic condition. We all have it now.

Putting that out there from the beginning will help in your struggle.

Remember that you are a drug addict. It never goes away. Ever. Ever.

Now it depends on your human nature. Are you able to stay quit. Some folks need rx drugs to help them w the anxiety. The anxiety is what wears you down.

The booze initially quells it, but then it comes back...stronger. It drives some folks mad. It drives them to suicide.

Scary stuff.

I quit for 8 months at around 27. It was easy. But, because it was so easy, I started drinking again for the next 23 years. Around 40 I began to notice mental and physical problems. I chalked it up to my job. It was 100% booze. I quit, for good, after a few hypoglycemia attacks over a 2 day period. I have some ptsd from them.

Thinking back, I was lucky I didn't get destroyed a hundred times over. I did some insane stuff while drunk. I was very lucky.

Now, part of my plan is exercise. I do it around the times I used to drink. Another thing I was fortunate enough to have was a non drinking wife and a 12 year old son. I copied them during my crave periods. What were they doing.

Sorry if my words come on pretty strong. I want you to hear going into this thing that the amount of booze we all drank has forever changed us. Knowing is half the battle.

Posting this helps me w my sobriety. Sort of like going to an AA meeting, minus the f2f.

Thanks for the post.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Awesome job . With every day of sobriety there is such a great feeling of success. It is great that u didn't suffer that much with the severe withdrawals, but it is a great idea to have a plan. The few times (which were very few), that I escaped the physical aspect, the addict voice starts talking. It's easy to think, we'll this time I stopped so easy I'll just do it again. Unfortunately, if there is a next time..it most likely will be much worse. Welcome to your new sober life