Notices

Lepidolite healing crystal for alcoholism

Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lepidolite healing crystal for alcoholism

Does anyone use healing crystals?

I've just received some Lepidolite and apparently it is very good for alcohol recovery, if you believe in that kind of thing.

I'm in a good place at the moment in sobriety but I'm still willing to give it a go,

Bruno.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know what? If you believe in it strongly enough, it'll probably help. If a doorknob can serve as a "higher power," then why not a crystal?

That said, although I'm all for open-mindedness, I have to draw the line at pseudo-science. Pseudo-science is an "easier softer way" for people too lazy, fuzzy-minded, unprincipled, and/or undisciplined to practice real science, or to accept that there's a difference between the two. In pseudo-science, there's no systematic, rigorous research process for testing a theory -- you just believe in whatever theory makes you feel good emotionally, make up evidence to support it, and then call it science. There's a lot of it about these days.

I'm afraid the use of Lepidolite crystals for alcoholism recovery has to fall into that category, but as long as you approach it as a mystical phenomenon rather than as sound scientific treatment, you'll be fine.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol, that is a quality reply Andante. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But half of the theories in "real" science haven't been proven!
Infact things taken as proven, are being unproven all the time! The materialist approach that most of the theories of the universe and reality have been based on, is even being challenged by quantum physics.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When my kids were just babies my wife bought them Amber necklaces to "help" with teething pain and stuff. To me it was just a placebo but my wife found some comfort in it. If she believed it worked, great. I wouldn't spend my money on it.

IMO, these natural medicine businesses prey on people who are vulnerable and willing to try anything.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please keep in mind our Mandate for this Forum:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used crystals a lot in my twenties for a variety of things.

I can't say I had any discernible results or changes myself ... but my motto with methods is always...if it's positive and it works for you, then great

D
Old 07-28-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

Here's what Hüsker Dü thought:

Old 07-28-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I do not believe that sobriety has any single magically cure. Sobriety is about changing who we are, what we do, and the people we associate with. To change on a systemic level requires will power, perseverance , and dedication. There is no easier softer way or than hard work and the hard work never stops. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crystals but they should be one small piece of your recovery plan.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Personally, I have a hard time understanding how a crystal could help. Most people would say that if it works it's a placebo effect.

But when you ask them how, exactly, does this placebo effect work, they can't tell you much. They might tell you that it has something to do with a persons expectations. But when it's pointed out that this is making the claim that the mind, (thought itself) can have a direct effect on the physical/material world, they start to become somewhat uncomfortable. This does not fit with a materialistic - reductionistic view of how things work, yet a placebo effect was their explanation.

Personally I think it involves basic math

Old 07-28-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't understand how it can work either to be honest. I've mainly bought it because I've now got a hell of a lot of spare time on my hands now that I don't drink anymore and I've done a lot of reading on different subjects, so I thought what the hell, I'll buy it. It only cost £7.99.

On a similar note, I don't understand how a child can get to sleep better when it's with its favourite doll or teddy bear. Maybe it's for the same reason that the crystals may work?