He's relapsed and I'm so sad/terrified

Old 07-27-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy He's relapsed and I'm so sad/terrified

Hi everyone..my husband has relapsed. This could be long but I'm not going to let it be. I'm out of energy and feel weak. I need to know where to start on MY recovery. I've kind of done it before when he was actively using...but I've literally forgotten most if not all of what I have learned. I'm so afraid. I have anxiety issues and I am agoraphobic so I can not drive or stay at home alone or do much of anything for myself. I know I need to try but I do not know how or where to start. I'm a basket case and I feel defeated quite honestly.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello. Abp280 firstly let me say how sorry I am that you're going through this. Also its not your fault that he relapsed. I understand you may feel obligated but you're not. its HIS addiction and only HE can help himself. Have you contacted your doctor about your anxiety? possibly some cognitive behaviour therapy? I know it available online and it is amazing for anxiety (its main purpose). If you google CBT you will find tons of online courses that I'm sure you will benefit from. I wish you the best of luck (hugs)
Old 07-28-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sickandtierd16 View Post
Hello. Abp280 firstly let me say how sorry I am that you're going through this. Also its not your fault that he relapsed. I understand you may feel obligated but you're not. its HIS addiction and only HE can help himself. Have you contacted your doctor about your anxiety? possibly some cognitive behaviour therapy? I know it available online and it is amazing for anxiety (its main purpose). If you google CBT you will find tons of online courses that I'm sure you will benefit from. I wish you the best of luck (hugs)
Hello and thank you so much. I actually attending my first Al Anon meeting online (unfortunately I can't make it to physical ones at this time) and I feel much more positive today. I am going to look into the CBT online courses. I am on medication for the anxiety/depression but I want to work on getting well.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think when we feel defeated its because we feel we have lost when the fact is someone else's alcoholism was never OUR battle to win.

You reaching out here and for support is a great big win!!

I hope you stick around, so much support here to offer.