Notices

Advice for getting back on the sober train

Old 07-27-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for getting back on the sober train

Hello, so after a 7 month hiatus I want to get
Back to sobriety. I went a year and six months last time and now I'd like to make it way longer then that.
I am back at square one which is fine but I want to fine a healthy way about doing this. I already feel like I'm obsessing about it, I keep looking up the same websites like I'm looking for the right words that will help me.
So I guess I'm wondering if obsessing is a bad thing and what should I do if it is?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I said to someone yesterday - I obsessed about drinking, so for a while I obsessed about not drinking...

It's not so bad to have a positive obsession for a little while I think...and things will even out...it won't always be like this

I recommend making a plan. The link contains a lot of great ideas and suggestions:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

and...join a group thread - whether it's the July thread or the Under On Year thread or whatever, having that support - and posting regularly really helps. I seem to remember it helped you a lot last time?

It may not be easy but at it's most basic it's pretty simple. Do everything possible to avoid raising that glass to your lips.

You'll find support here. You're not alone.
You can do this

D
Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, as Dee said, I was so used to obsessing about drinking, it took awhile to stop obsessing about not drinking. For me, balance is the key to my recovery. Obsessing about recovery wasn't going to work for me, so I had to find things in my life that brought me peace and joy.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna and Dee about being obsessed, I felt like I spent most of the day thinking about not drinking.

What worked for you when you had over a year? I have had periods of sobriety in the past, but I always found myself going back to drinking. This time I have been checking in on SR daily, especially the January class.

I'm really glad you are back, and look forward to seeing you on here!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I obsessed about quitting every day I came to with the horrors of the late stage alcoholics' hangover.
Looking back, and it's been five years seven months sober for me, I think it was a good thing. I also obsessed about drinking, which, of course, was not so good.
But this mental obsession about getting sober made me realize not everyone thinks like that. And I obsessed over getting sober a lot.
It made m realize I had a problem. One I could not solve by myself any more than my obsession with drinking.
This is what my life devolved to in the latter stages. It was a horrible way to live and by then, I was no longer living in the sentient sense. I was either thinking about drinking, actually drinking or obsessing about how to stop.

All by myself. Those wasted days laying in bed mind racing, sweating and every thing that goes along with it. So alone.
After some failed attempts, I finally got up the nerve to go to an AA meeting.
I found people like me. I listened to their stories. They paralleled mine.
I couldn't believe it. Here were people solving their problem with drink. I felt one with them. No one judged me. We were all there for the same reason.

I would drink again, but it was never the same. A bug had been planted in my alcoholic mind. I might be able to quit.
I did. The obsessive thoughts stopped and I gradually took back my mind.
This is just what happened to me. I wanted to reply to your post because I understand.
It took action for me, and it may or may not for you. But, I wish you the best. And you're not alone.