Notices

Almost 7 months and in need of encouragement

Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 7 months and in need of encouragement

I am almost 7 months sober and I am wondering when this all ends. I have seen a doctor, can't take MAOI's or SSRI's. I do have something for anxiety Thank God! I was starting to feel better and was hoping I would be able to start weaning off the meds, then right at 6 months anxiety and depression increased, a LOT! I thought i was pass this. When did you notice the depression and anxiety was gone, for good? I really need encouraging responses!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

First off, congrats on 7 months stillpooh19! Regarding your anxiety and depression, have you seen a therapist or counselor, or are you just seeing your GP/medical doctor? I personally found that my anxiety was something that needed professional treatment, and that meant therapy and self-work on coping strategies. Most anxiety/depression drugs are designed to help with the symptoms, but they don't solve the underlying problem...that has to happen through one of the many forms of therapy out there.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 months. That in itself is a huge accomplishment, but be sure not to stop there. Anxiety can be overwhelming and challenging, especially in sobriety. We are just starting to learn how to deal with emotions and thoughts, and anxiety (stemmed from fear) can run our lives if we let it. So ask yourself this: what is it that you're fearful of? It could be a wide array of things, but it is important to be honest with yourself.

Once we figure out what it is that is truly bothering us, we can start to make a change.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

7 months is great! I'm right there with you. For some reason, this month has been a struggle for me, too. Hang in there. I have faith it'll get better

R&H
Old 07-26-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Firstly congratulation on your 7 months sober. I can't really give you any brilliant advice because at present I am both drinking and using. I can tell you one thing though. You don't wanna be doing either.

I went to meetings during my patches of clean time. This may not be something you do and that's cool. If you don't maybe see if you can get involved in some group talking therapies. I always found it theraputic to just talk stuff out there.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 7 months of recovery!

My anxiety and depression were with me long, long before I began drinking. I had to get the depression treated properly with medication before I was able to begin recovery. I still struggle with anxiety but have found coping skills such as Scott mentioned and it's usually manageable. The medication for depression has levelled the playing field for me so I have a fighting chance each day. I have to work on the anxiety each day and on staying positive each day in order to support my recovery.

I hope you find something that works for you.

If you check out our Book List, you will find lots of books that will help you with anxiety and depression:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 07-28-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stillpooh...Right there with ya...I am on some meds to help too , and they don't help a whole lot...SSRI's make the whole thing worse...I guess we just need to hand in there and hope things improve...
Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Stillpooh,

So proud of your seven months! Our Jannies are awesome!! I would definitely try to make an appointment with a psychiatrist/counselor. There may be medication that can help, or strategies to help deal with the anxiety. I have medication or when I am feeling really anxious, and also to calm my mind at night.

Try to find some time to call today.

Sending lots of hugs your way!

❤️ Delilah
Old 07-28-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a couple weeks from 7 months as well. Holistic approaches have been the biggest amount of relief. I'm a very high strung person naturally, so if I am not doing some form of physical activity like exercise or yoga every other day, my symptoms of depression and anxiety return. Additionally, I've been including meditation as needed to quiet myself and mind. It's awkward early on, but learning to take periods to shut my mind down has been remarkable.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Catch 22

I am with you in this struggle. Only 72 days sober and today it really hit me hard. I had a huge positive result at work and all I felt like was phoning friends for a celebratory booze up. Instead I am at home and feeling tired and depressed. I have no answers. I do know that to drink and have a shirt term rush is stupid. So suffer in silence I guess.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is where AA and the 12-step recovery program has been invaluable to me. Those steps have helped me relearn how to deal with anger, fear, anxiety, resentments, and find acceptance for life on life's terms, as well as help me get to understand myself. What my character defects are so that I can learn to be vigilant of these, but also, what my strengths are, so that I can learn to like myself, and stand being in my own company (something that was very tough before).

That 6 or 7 month landmark seems to be one where, if we have not managed to get a good strong recovery plan in place, and work on it as part of our daily routine, things start to build up and become pretty unbearable. I know that I was one of those people, and at around this stage my boss sent me for counselling because she was worried for me (on a personal emotional and mental health level, although my work performance was also presumably suffering as well). This had little impact due to my own inability to be completely honest with my counsellor - I couldn't bring myself to tell her the bleaker parts of my experiences, so told her a succession of half truths. The turning point for me was when I reached a special stage of desperate, which brought with it the willingness to do this things that had been suggested to me in AA meetings (where I'd been going for the 5 month leading up to this breakdown, but not engaging in any of the recovery program or reading that was suggested), and started to read the literature, got a sponsor, worked the steps and started trying to be a bit more useful and committed in my home group.

I hope that you find something to alleviate your pain soon. It's a dark dark place, but people do manage to keep going and come out at the other end. Whatever you do, taking a drink will not help. Remember that much, please. You have come so far.

If you haven't read the link on PAWS, this might be useful...
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

If you haven't got a solid plan in place, or you want to add to it, maybe have a read (or reread) of Dee's links on this thread... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-2.html

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 07-28-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
This is where AA and the 12-step recovery program has been invaluable to me. Those steps have helped me relearn how to deal with anger, fear, anxiety, resentments, and find acceptance for life on life's terms, as well as help me get to understand myself. What my character defects are so that I can learn to be vigilant of these, but also, what my strengths are, so that I can learn to like myself, and stand being in my own company (something that was very tough before).

BB
I have noticed that when I go to a meeting, I feel much better. I have found a sponsor. Now I have to dig into the steps. I guess I should be grateful that I have not had one craving for alcohol since my last drink! Thanks BerryBean
Old 07-28-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think you will start to feel better in the coming months... It seems to be a little different for all of us. I noticed a very big difference from each month after 8-9 months sober. I felt like I dealt with it longer than some of the other members here, and it's by no means perfect but it's much better now and easier to manage when it does show up. I'm just past 11 months. Hang in there and try not to get too frustrated.... It can take us up to a couple years for our brains to heal. You're doing Great at 7 months! Best wishes tonight and on the rest of your journey.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillpooh19 View Post
I have noticed that when I go to a meeting, I feel much better. I have found a sponsor. Now I have to dig into the steps. I guess I should be grateful that I have not had one craving for alcohol since my last drink! Thanks BerryBean
The relief that those steps brought me has been nothing short of miraculous. My gratitude is immense. I found a lot of the speaker recordings really helpful when starting (and continuing haha) my step work. It was good to hear people talking specifically about what I was working on and helped me understand the things. I put the recordings on a cheap little mp3 player and listened to them in the car, or when doing housework, or whatever. This site is all completely free... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly! Youtube is pretty handy as well, as you can search more by theme or topic.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery and step work. I'd suggest cracking on with it sooner rather than later, as I'm sure it will bring you relief.

BB