Notices

finally joined something

Old 07-25-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finally joined something

after spending the last yr. visiting many sites and probably spending hundreds of hours reading other peoples posts I thought it is maybe time to get involved personally.

sorry for the sloppy (lazy) format to my post as I am really not an internet/computer person.takes me forever to type.

obviously I am here because I have a bad drinking problem and have since before I was even legally old enough to drink which was 18 at the time in N.Y. I am now 58. I have drank long and hard and as you all know quitting isn't easy. I recently found the pattern to be I can go 2 days and back at it I go. just like most it's the withdrawals that get me. not so much physical as mental. anxiety/depression/insomnia. people say it gets better over time. I hope so. just have to get the time in. not easy. everyone I know and everything I do involves drinking. and I really have no support. kind of a go it alone thing. maybe I will try to get up the courage and take the big plunge and attend an AA meeting. I just read on here that another member had a positive experience with it.

anyhow I just got to kill an hour not drinking..lol.. and thanks for listening. good luck to all.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Hi, markinny.
Thanks for becoming active member of SoberRecovey.
Hope to hear more from you.

I was like you when I tried to quit on my own,
Could only go for two days maximum, even though I'd promised my wife a week.

Originally Posted by markinny View Post
maybe I will try to get up the courage and take the big plunge and attend an AA meeting. I just read on here that another member had a positive experience with it.
I, too, was worried about walking into an AA meeting.
Why?
Because I knew that this was it -- the end of the line.
It was time to say goodbye to my love/hate relationship with booze.

We are close in age: I'm 59.
And I'm 11 years sober thanks to AA.
It is well worth it.
And so are you,
Old 07-25-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome aboard. I'm also 58 and had a similar drinking history. I'm almost 11 months without a drink. So you can do this. I got tired of drinking and didn't want to spend what's left of my life drinking. You'll want to get a plan together on how to get and more importantly, how to stay sober.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Markinny nice to meet you
Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi - I am 60 and 6 months sober. If I can do this, you can! Life is so much better without the booze ruling every move. My family is just recently trusting in me again. The book, Peace in Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh has been my main inspiration, along with eating well, working out and constantly reminding myself of the quote, "don't look back, you're not going there." Best wishes for you!