Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Feeling Lost/Emotional/Anxious and I think this is only the beginning

Notices

Feeling Lost/Emotional/Anxious and I think this is only the beginning

Old 07-24-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Feeling Lost/Emotional/Anxious and I think this is only the beginning

Hi. I'm new here. I had posted in another area on the site, but because I am new, I will post here also. I have struggled with anxiety and panic off and on for 20 years. I take 100mg Zoloft per day. About 10 years ago I went through a divorce. I started having 1 or two drinks a night to help get to sleep. This increased to about 8 stubbie beers a night at its worst. I never skipped a night and only drank when I got home from work. It never really occurred to me that I was an alcoholic until the panic started. At first it was at night waking we rapid heart rate, sweats. Then it was at night and in the morning. Waking with rapid heart rate, curled in feotal position and mind racing so fast I couldn't remember what I was just thinking about. I went to the hospital and was put on a Valium taper over 6days starting and 5mg three times a day a weaning off from there. It was bearable. Then 5 days after taking the last Valium. Boom. Massive racing heart, feeling unstable on my feet and like I was going to faint. It lasted at least an hour and I was at school picking up kids. I took a 1/4 or 1.25mg to calm me down. It calmed me enough to get home. The thing is it has continued the last two days and I have been slowly taking more Valium to deal with it. I'm petrified of having a seizure and can't get to psychiatrist for another week. Has anyone else felt this and is there any suggestions on how to deal with it. I feel like I'm falling apart. Thank you

Hi! Thank you for the welcomes. I had been suffering with the severe anxiety after cutting down alcohol. That is when I went to the hospital. They put me on a 6 day taper with Valium. I started at 5mg three times a day. I haven't had a drink since 11th of July. Started my taper on 12 of July and finished on 16th of July 2016. I did fine for the next few days, bearable anxiety and a little insomnia. Then on the 22nd almost a week later, the exact symptoms returned with a vengance. I took 1.25mg to calm the extreme anxiety, was picking kids up from school, hands shaking, unable to concentrate, felt like my legs were going to give way. This got me through the day. The next day severe anxiety on waking, heart palpitations, curled up in feotal position, diarhoea. Took another 1.25 to help with anxiety. Next day really bad anxiety again took 1.25 in morning, then late arvo took 2.5mg. Insomnia till 11pm by which time I was very irritable and cranky and frustrated. I felt like punching the wall. I am definately not a violent person and wouldn't hurt a fly, so was scared that I even felt so aggressive. So took another 2.5mg Through all this I am waking 3 or 4 times in the middle of the nights, sweaty, heart racing and thoughts racing. I have even bought a heart monitor thing so I know I don't have high/low blood pressure when this happens. Took 1.25mg this morning so I could get up and get to work. Coping so far, but distracted and anxious although no panic attacks. I know no one can give me medical advice, but has anyone experienced anything like this? Just needing to share experiences with people who may have some understanding of what is happening. Absolutely terrified of a seizure. Thankyou. Have a psychiatrist appointment tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Did you completely stop drinking alcohol yet?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hi and Welcome Mermaid,

When I quit drinking I thought I was losing my mind.

I didn't take any rx drugs since that meant I would lose a great job.

I came here to SR and learned all about the damage booze does to our brains etc.

Booze messes w the CNS. Also our dopemine functions.

If you need meds, stay on them. The booze makes everything worse. Get away from that. You are addicted to booze for ever. Me too.

It took months for the anxiety, fear, Paranoia etc to quell...it got better every day.

I got used to normal.....almost.

I believe the extended time it took for me to get to this stage of sobriety is motivation to never get drunk again.

If I got well in a month, I probably would still be drunk. So the pain has been a blessing...in a way.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sugarbear1. Yes. Last drink was 12th of July. Valium taper from 12th of July until 16th of July.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Mermaid, rootin for ya.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi D122y. Thanks for your reply. It has given me hope and also let me know that I am not alone. When I did the taper, I figured that would be it, back to normal, no withdrawal symptoms. I really wasn't aware that you can still suffer from symptoms after the valium detox. I try to be as strong as I can and have a very supportive family, but sometimes I just have enough. I am extremely emotional at the moment (crying as I type). I just have to be patient I think and think if I can get through today, then I am one step closer to 'normal'. Would you mind if I asked how often, how much and how long you drank for? Thank you again. Your post has helped me immensely.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like you need a medical taper off valium.

I have been where you are. That's what I did.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you neferkamichael. Love the quote. Have printed it off and will look at it when I struggle. You have not idea how much this forum has given me a boost of confidence to beat this instead of letting it beat me. Thank you again
Old 07-24-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Hugs sent to you, Mermaid16!

You will go through lots of changes while you stay stopped. We think it will be like a hangover, lasting a few days, but it's a long-term process. We have done a lot of stuff to our bodies. There's a breathing technique called the 4-7-8 Breathing Technique that can help to calm our body down.

Emotions will be like a roller coaster, ride them out and accept them, they don't last long. You may experience other things, too. Talk with your doctor about anything you may worry about, but honestly, just don't drink or drug (except by prescription and as prescribed) and you will be ok!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Sleepie! I have done the taper from alcohol from the 12 to the 16th using valium and have only taken 1.25mg the last four days 22nd to 25th. Except yesterday as I was really struggling and took 6.25mg. Could I be addicted to it already? I only took it for 5days, didn't take any for four days and then have taken small doses 1.25 except for yesterday? I thought you needed to take it for longer than two weeks to become use to it? Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mermaid. Well all I can tell you is what I learned when I was tapering. There was a guy who had a very small does, I think at the hospital, and then started having withdrawals. It isn't that common but from what I gather it can happen (?)

Did you ask your dr?
Old 07-25-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

dear mermaid....when was the last you have a full check up and full panel blood work done? a lot of your symptoms sound like symptoms i have experienced over the years that are hormone-based - night sweats, hot flashes, heart palpitations, racing thoughts. speaking only for myself, but all those things were much better and more fully addressed in a (bona fide, well-respected) naturopath office. i only offer it as a suggestion.

i sure hope you get some relief. please don't drink, no matter what!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Mermaid16 View Post
Hi D122y. Thanks for your reply. It has given me hope and also let me know that I am not alone. When I did the taper, I figured that would be it, back to normal, no withdrawal symptoms. I really wasn't aware that you can still suffer from symptoms after the valium detox. I try to be as strong as I can and have a very supportive family, but sometimes I just have enough. I am extremely emotional at the moment (crying as I type). I just have to be patient I think and think if I can get through today, then I am one step closer to 'normal'. Would you mind if I asked how often, how much and how long you drank for? Thank you again. Your post has helped me immensely.
Before I quit I was binge drinking about 2 times a week. I drank my whole life, since I was about 5 yo.

Not every day though. I have drank everyday before for weeks at a time. I have drank all day, when on vacation.

I deal with PAWS, kindling, and PTSD (from a scare while driving).

I am learning how to live w out alcohol. I am going to start attending more AA meetings since I have embraced the fact I am an alcoholic. I can never drink again.

This lady from my AA group just killed herself during a black out relapse. Like MBOB said, this booze thing is no joke. It is nothing to be toyed w.

Thanks for the post.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Had to see the GP yesterday for a referral to the psychiatrist. I saw the same psych about 12 months ago for the same problem. At that stage with him we tried to cut down the alcohol, but the anxiety stopped so I continued to drink. This time though I have already stopped, now just have to learn or work out how to deal with the severe anxiety and insomnia. x