Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Can you get government security clearance if you have a DWAI charge?

Old 07-24-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A member of my family received a job offer and on the first day of work they will do a government security clearance. He is concerned that he won't pass due to the DWAI charge. He doesn't want to quit his other job and then have this one fall through. Does anyone know the answer? His probation assessment is not until the end of August so he is not on probation at this time. He was charged with the DWAI.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hummingbird1094 View Post
A member of my family received a job offer and on the first day of work they will do a government security clearance. He is concerned that he won't pass due to the DWAI charge. He doesn't want to quit his other job and then have this one fall through. Does anyone know the answer? His probation assessment is not until the end of August so he is not on probation at this time. He was charged with the DWAI.
Felony conviction usually in the past 7 years is the usual standard. Some go back 10 years.

The DWAI I'm not sure if that's a felony or not. Driving WhIle ? ?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DWAI- stands for Driving While Ability Impaired. It is a lesser charge than a DUI and I think it is a misdemeanor.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hummingbird1094 View Post
Hello everybody, please do not give legal advice on a thread. SoberRecovery is not licensed to provide advice of any kind. If you are personally licensed to give legal advice in the relevant jurisdiction please contact hummingbird via PM and email.

Hummingbird? There are lawyers who specialize in matters affecting government clearance. Only a lawyer with that specialty can answer your question.

Mike
Moderator, SR