Notices

Alcohol, Nicotene, Caffine...linked???

Old 07-24-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol, Nicotene, Caffine...linked???

Just curious if there is any mental/chemical link with alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine in the recovery process. I was thinking about this today...people use all three substances to stimulate/change there physical/mental state.

I don't even really know what I'm trying to ask, but basically IF the part of your brain that reacts to alcohol is the same part that is effected and causes you to crave other chemicals, wouldn't the recovery process be easier by eliminating all of these substances at the same time?
I've noticed that in early sobriety I drink waaaay more coffee and sugary stuff, as well as smoke a lot more (I'm not a heavy smoker...1 or 2 a day maybe, but when going through withdrawal it's more like 4 or 5 which I hate...disgusting habit).

Clear as mud? I'm only asking, because if there is any link, I would like to cut out all three at the same time.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

All 3 can be addictive so if you have an additive personality there's certainly a relationship. The exact chemical/neurological reason "why" we become addicted is not known, however.

Some people do quit 2 or 3 substances at once, it really depends on how you feel about it.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I believe sugar links in there too. But I suppose almost anything could if you have an addictive personality like Scott says. I felt I had to concentrate all my energy on the drinking. I did give up the caffeine at the same time to help with the anxiety. However, I wasn't even going to try to give up the smokes at the same time. That will be my next adventure. Wishing you the best on your journey.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I stopped smoking a couple of weeks after I finally got sober and I am so glad I did - I had done both (smoking and drinking alcohol) for 23 years. I also cut my caffeine intake down dramatically I have been sober now for 3.5 years.

As for sugar....well, that's something I am trying to cut down, but all in good time

All of these things are addictive so, as far as I am concerned, there is definitely some kind of link.

Best wishes to you!
Old 07-24-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Lots of people on SR have said that they craved sweet, sugary foods in early recovery, myself included. The concensus seems to be that it is to replace the sugar intake we had drinking alcohol.

As regards the coffee, cigarettes and sugar my opinion, not based on any kind of scientific data, is that a short term increase in these things is worthwhile if it results in your quitting alcohol

I should say I don't smoke so that did not come into my personal equation but as you are only smoking a few cigarettes a temporary increase seems acceptable.

Once you have some solid sober time behind you then maybe you could deal with the other things
Old 07-24-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think they are connected per say, as there are plenty of alcoholics that aren't smokers, heavy smokers that don't drink, etc, Though stopping drinking is the biggest step for sure and should be the main focus in early recovery, and everything else can then be worked on later down the line.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't know if there's a link, but just a story to share. After I detoxed, I gave AA a try, lasted just three meetings. I'd say at least 3/4 of them smoked like a chimney, and drunk gob's of coffee. The smoke at the entrance, well you could cut with a knife. So bad I would actual get physically ill. (I don't smoke or drink coffee) so I never returned. Not saying AA is bad, just an observation.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The 3 are linked for me- one seems to feed off the other. It's very daunting to me to quit all three at once so for now I'm focused on no alcohol and reducing nicotine and caffeine. I'm using the Craving to Quit app for smoking and limiting iced coffee to just two times this week.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its a very interesting subject. I had an experience which prompted me to ponder the same type of question: A couple of months ago, I decided to stop all caffiene with the exception on one cup of half-caf coffee in the morning. I got through the withdraws (headaches) and did OK for a couple of weeks. Then I decided to have a soda one afternoon. Then another the next day. Before I knew it I was consuming MORE than I was before I quit. It made me think that the same scenario would probably play out if I ever tried to drink alcohol again. Is there any correlation? Maybe not, but it raises some interesting questions.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If I quit one substance, I just hike up all the other substances. I have to just be completely sober and deal with my sober brain.... because hiking up one leads me back to the other's check out my signature. We'll see how long this lasts, since it's early, but I feel for me this is the only way
Old 07-24-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ironhorse1 View Post
Just curious if there is any mental/chemical link with alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine in the recovery process. I was thinking about this today...people use all three substances to stimulate/change there physical/mental state.

I don't even really know what I'm trying to ask, but basically IF the part of your brain that reacts to alcohol is the same part that is effected and causes you to crave other chemicals, wouldn't the recovery process be easier by eliminating all of these substances at the same time?
I've noticed that in early sobriety I drink waaaay more coffee and sugary stuff, as well as smoke a lot more (I'm not a heavy smoker...1 or 2 a day maybe, but when going through withdrawal it's more like 4 or 5 which I hate...disgusting habit).

Clear as mud? I'm only asking, because if there is any link, I would like to cut out all three at the same time.
Ha, well, I had a thread about the coffee thing a few weeks ago. Apparently it's recommended to back off of caffeine early in recovery b/c of the anxiety that comes with withdrawal. Otherwise, meh, I love coffee, it's good for me, I'm friendlier, in a better mood, more productive and (truthfully) a better person because of it. It gives me something to look forward to when I arrive at work. It's different for everyone I guess, but for me, I am absolutely 100% addicted to coffee and I'm totally fine with that for those reasons.

So, to answer your question, I see no reason to quit coffee. Unless you have early-recovery anxiety, or just want to.

Smoking sucks though. Yuck. Yeah man, quit that ****.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Weekend, I agree with you. I look forward to my morning coffee!!
Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies.

Coffee is what gets me up in the AM! My original post was probably a bit unclear. I was thinking about it and was wondering if I was possibly harming my recovery by continuing to stimulate the addictive part of my brain with other substances (caffeine and nicotine)...and increasing the dose of those substances to help deal with withdrawal from alcohol.

I get kind of nerdy and scientific with almost anything I do which is why I posed the question. Heck...I even researched how to make the perfect hard boiled egg this morning!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

And this is why when I started my no carb diet I switched from sugar to candarel sweetner
Old 07-25-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ironhorse1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Coffee is what gets me up in the AM! My original post was probably a bit unclear. I was thinking about it and was wondering if I was possibly harming my recovery by continuing to stimulate the addictive part of my brain with other substances (caffeine and nicotine)...and increasing the dose of those substances to help deal with withdrawal from alcohol.

I get kind of nerdy and scientific with almost anything I do which is why I posed the question. Heck...I even researched how to make the perfect hard boiled egg this morning!
Meh. If you want coffee, have one. Whatever make it easier to get through your day. Coffee is one of life's pure, simple pleasures and I see no reason to abstain from it personally.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
And this is why when I started my no carb diet I switched from sugar to candarel sweetner
No carb? As in literally, none? Man, that's tough. You will lose weight though. The body doesn't store surplus calories from protein like it does with calories from sugar/carbs (which is why the Atkins Diet works so well).
Old 07-25-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

All the neurochemists on the forum should be answering any minute now....

My experience has been that we tend to use anything that feels good in the moment addcitively. I don't think you're harming your recovery in the short term by drinking coffee and smoking camels, but later on down the line it's stuff to look at.

In Narcotics Anonymous we lump all drugs together and count clean time if we're abstinent from all of them (including alcohol). Caffeine and Nicotine get a free pass, and so do medications that aren't controlled as long as we're not abusing them.

My own personal experience is that I quit using alcohol and other drugs. Then with about 8 months clean I quit smoking. I tried energy drinks for a hot minute around that time and found that they felt too much like using (to me), so I won't drink them. A little after two years clean I changed my approach to romantic relationships as that was making my life unmanageable, causing harm, and definitely fell into the category of "using". Caffeine hasn't made my life unmanageable, but over-eating has, so I'm addressing that one now.

My sponsor told me a long time ago that we address our addictions in the order that they are killing us. In terms of counting clean/sober time, I don't have to start at day one again as long as I abstain from alcohol and other drugs that would get me loaded. However, I don't want to cause any more damage to myself or others, so it's important for me to not smoke and maintain integrity in my relationships.

Not saying that one can't go for broke and quit smoking and drinking coffee while getting clean and sober, but for a lot of people it is tough enough to quit getting loaded, and that's what's killing them the quickest.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanMike View Post
. I tried energy drinks for a hot minute around that time and found that they felt too much like using (to me), so I won't drink them.
I like energy drinks once in a while (maybe 1 every 2 weeks), like on a hot day when I'm thirsty and wanting a pick-me-up. But they just don't feel....right. So loaded with chemicals. The zero carlorie stuff, Monster Zero, Rock Star Pure Zero, etc......I can almost taste cancer as I'm drinking it, ha. I never feel like I'm "using" when I drink these, but I sure don't feel like I'm doing something very healthy. I could be wrong, but man, that's a long list of chemicals on the can.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
I like energy drinks once in a while (maybe 1 every 2 weeks), like on a hot day when I'm thirsty and wanting a pick-me-up. But they just don't feel....right. So loaded with chemicals. The zero carlorie stuff, Monster Zero, Rock Star Pure Zero, etc......I can almost taste cancer as I'm drinking it, ha. I never feel like I'm "using" when I drink these, but I sure don't feel like I'm doing something very healthy. I could be wrong, but man, that's a long list of chemicals on the can.
For me it was the instant "zap - I feel different" that did it. It reminded me too much of using. Not for me.

YMMV
Old 07-25-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Clearly, I have more caffeine tolerance than you/most. But, I'm fine with that. haha.

In all seriousness those things taste like a chemistry set.