Notices

Another newbie

Old 07-24-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another newbie

Happy sober Sunday! This is the first weekend in over ten years that I have not drank. It's a little daunting which I why I'm here and hoping the kindness of strangers will help me through.

I'm 51 years old and the mother of two great teenagers. My husband and I have been married for 21 years and together for 25 years. He's spent the past several years in and out of jobs which has caused considerable stress on the family and our finances. I've been drinking -- a lot -- to cope and it's been a downward spiral.

What started as a couple glasses of wine turned into at least a bottle before falling asleep on the couch several nights a week. Not necessarily a great role model for my kids. I've gained a ton of weight and just feel pretty lousy about myself, our bleak financial situation and my drinking. I've known for a while I needed to stop and the other night cinched it for me.

I'd worked a long event, had a few glasses of wine and stopped with colleagues for a nightcap. One beer. I was pretty exhausted and said goodbye fairly soon thereafter. On the way home I hit a mailbox and am now facing huge repair bills to fix my car. Was I drunk that night? Not trashed but impaired and exhausted. Now I need to pay the consequences, replace the mailbox and go further into debt. (Ironically the mailbox belonged to a church...)

I am embarrassed, disappointed in myself and thoroughly humiliated. I put away my favorite wineglasses last night and all my corks and pledged I'd do a 30 day challenge to determine this is something I need to do for good. I told my husband and as much as I love him -- his response was "here we go again." I know the 30 day time limit seems like a cop out but it's a goal at this point and one that's reasonable.

Anyway, I hope to hear from many of you as I really need support and perhaps a little tough love right now. It's hard to think of telling my friends and colleagues that I'm serious this time and admit I've lost a battle with alcohol. I'd also appreciate any pointers to help me through this journey.

Look forward to meeting and supporting you!

GretCarchase
Day 3
Old 07-24-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Read around. Your problem will be found in many posts...as well as advice and solutions.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good. Living sober really is a better way of life.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome to the family. Your husbands comment about here we go again sounds like you've tried to quit in the past? Have you ever made a plan to get sober, and more importantly stay sober? That's really important. The stickies have some good information in them. This also should help, http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 07-24-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Gretcarchase
Old 07-24-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great decision to quit drinking. We often forget that we hold the key to our prison cell and tricking your AV with 30 day goals always helps. I used 1 day goals to trick my AV until it wasn't talking so loud.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Welcome!
Old 07-24-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gretcarchase

Welcome.

Passing out on the sofa in front of the wife and kids. Check.

Hangovers and feeling guilty and anxious. Check.

Bad health and weight gain. Check.

Disappointed spouse. Double check.

And I could go on and on. . .

I think your 30 day challenge is a wise choice.

I'll challenge you one further: when you make it to day 31, as a reward to yourself, go get one of the wine glasses, and throw it in the trash.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 07-24-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Gretcarchase - that sounds like a sound idea and I hope your finances improve to ease the stress
Old 07-24-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome on board!
Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. This is a great place for you to spend your time on your new journey. This CAN be done and You Can Do it. Keep posting, we're all pulling for you.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi GretCarchase and welcome!

Some great help and experience on this forum. Got a lot of us through and kept us sober.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome GretCarchase

reading your post I can't help but hope this might be the start of something permanent

D