Notices

Naltrexone to treat alcoholism?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone to treat alcoholism?

Has anyone tried this drug? It is supposed to block the receptors in your brain so you can't get drunk. I don't know... sounds fishy. I tend not to trust any magical cures for addiction but just curious if anybody knows anything about it. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best to check with your doctor regarding prescription drugs. There are some like naltrexone that are prescribed to help with cravings, but all of them are designed to be used in conjunction with a recovery plan. There is no "magic" pill that just makes it all better.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've taken it before. It does work to a degree. It can make you sick if you drink, but the main thing is to allow you not to crave a drink.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
...It can make you sick if you drink...
This is NOT true. It's mainly used while a person may still be drinking; you're thinking of Antabuse, which does make a person ill if they take in alcohol while on it.

(o:
Old 07-24-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've taken it personally and drank on it. It came right up almost immediately.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Rupert I have taken Naltrexone, I fought hard to get it my GP refused to prescribe it, I eventually got it from a drug and alcohol help centre.
Anyway at first it helped a lot I would have a couple of drinks then just not want anymore, I thought it was brilliant but over time I learn't I could override it when my av came calling.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did, and it helps a little, and yes, it did make me sick a couple of times. Hangovers are worse when you take it. On the long run it didn't really help me though.

I do know success stories with it, just not mine.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

It did make me sick if I drank on it as well, and seemed to not work after a couple of weeks. I am now on Campral, which is a similar type drug, and have had success with that. The thing is, you have to use any medication like that as a tool and still have other tools in your recovery. These meds sit on the receptors that make you want a craving, but it's not a perfect science and you will still have cravings. You also can't stay on it forever, so you have to work a plan as well to keep your momentum in recovery. I looked at it as something that medically stabilized me to better help my recovery but it wasn't the thing that would change my life....I had to use my recovery plan for that part. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I took Naltrexone as well. Didn't help me unfortunately.

I fought harder to get drunk.

I ended up on Antabuse. Haven't had a drink since starting on that.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take Naltrexone or rather I should and will start taking it more consistently in high risk situations or when urge surfing isn't enough. It works for me - no interest in drinking after the first drink (I'm a binge drinker). However it makes me flat emotionally and the next day I feel wiped out. I read it can deplete your adrenal grands. But now that I want to be sober I'll make the trade off if I feel I'm slipping. Pretty amazing how it blocks the receptors that are triggered by alcohol (and drugs too)- you immediately feel the difference.