Notices

Worried

Old 07-23-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried

Tomorrow will be my one week mark . Today I decided to stay away from my friends because it's too early in my sobriety for social events. However, I had a family birthday party that was non negotiable. It was pretty easy not to drink there because my family does not drink, it's actually looked down at by most. But I do have a relative that I typically have a few with and I could tell she had already had hers and was feeling pretty good. It made me want to have a drink, it made me think about responding to my friends offers to go out or just hang so that I could sneak away and have a drink. I actually ended up deciding to visit a friend after I left the party, but I ended up cancelling because I felt like I couldn't promise myself that I would walk out of there with my sobriety. Is knowing that I'm not yet strong enough to guarantee that I will not have a drink a sign of weakness? I'm worried.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't see weakness in knowing our limits and goals. You're not weak, just not yet comfortable with drinkers. Give yourself time. It gets better.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't see weakness either. I couldn't be around alcohol my first week, I needed time.

Nothing weak about protecting your sobriety.

Like Least said, it does get better.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not at all. In fact, it's more of a sign of strength my friend. The weaker you would have gone and had that drink! Keep getting stronger. You're on your way.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To me, it's a sign of self-awareness, FaithfulAndFree - a good thing, I think. It's good that you are thinking about your sobriety and the situations and people that may compromise it.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're doing great. It took me many months before I felt comfortable being around people who were drinking and I was so glad I had taken the time. Alcoholism is a very sneaky disease so by being cautious, you are taking care of yourself.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm with everyone else...knowing the reality is not weakness..it's a strength.

I thought about drinking a lot in the first few weeks - it was all I knew. I stayed sober tho, and eventually I learned a whole bunch of other stuff

You're gonna grow more & more 'sober muscles' in time...for now it's good, and wise, to be cautious

D
Old 07-24-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep up the good work
Old 07-24-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I needed the encouragement.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 week! Have a wonderful day.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FaithfulAndFree View Post
Is knowing that I'm not yet strong enough to guarantee that I will not have a drink a sign of weakness? I'm worried.
Nope, nope, NOPE! I think it is strong.

I still go with any hunch I get- intuition- that I shouldn't go somewhere or be around something. I am ok in social situations, have been to lunches or dinners where other people were drinking, but this came much more recently than a week in!! It is perfectly ok to make polite declination to anything, pretty much (I do understand certain obligations like with family) and IMO better to not go to do x or see so-and-so, and just decide you can do it another time, than to put yourself in an uncomfortable or possibly dangerous situation for your sobriety.

A week is awesome- and cut yourself slack. Little steps, little steps. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Knowing your weakness is a strength, especially in early recovery. What you should take away from this is how strong the addiction is. One week ago you vowed never to drink again. Today the thought of drinking crossed your mind. And it will again. The addiction is relentless. Add the support you need, do anything you need to do to support your promise to never drink.