Notices

What am I doing to myself

Old 07-22-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What am I doing to myself

High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Pre Diabetic and Liver enzymes elevated and over weight. I mean really now....what am I doing to myself. We all know what the cause is. I am literally destroying myself over a bottle a wine.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did all the above systems go away after you sobered up?

I know I need to quit like, today!! Why am I afraid of quitting? Sounds crazy doesn't it.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

I had crazy high blood pressure from drinking, like 220 over 140 seriously. After I quit drinking it took 2-3 months of better eating, daily exercise, and losing significant weight to get it under control but I finally did. Don't even need medicine now.

Quitting alcohol was a necessary but not sufficient condition to lowering my BP, as a mathematician might say.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had several of those as well ( high BP, high cholesterol, eleveated enzymes ). It's very, very common actually. And it does sound crazy - why would one willingly and knowingly poison themselves?

The answer is that it's addiction. And it simply doesn't make sense. That's why the only way out is to simply accept that it IS and that the only solution is to simply stop drinking. Have you attempted to quit before?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Michelle644 View Post
Why am I afraid of quitting? Sounds crazy doesn't it.
Not crazy at all.

So why are you afraid of quitting? This is not a rhetorical question. You need to really dig down and look at your fears.

Let me give you the perspective from someone who has not drank since 2010. All my fears about quitting were unfounded. So what ever your answer is for why you are afraid of quitting, it shouldn't be enough to stop you.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have known many in bad shape who have greatly extended their years by following doctors orders and stopped drinking. I have also known many who died at around 50 years of age that did not take heed of the good advice offered.

I am in A-Fib due to my hard living. Sober for 8 years and hanging in at 65 years old.

Sobriety seems to be the key ?

Mountainman
Old 07-22-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It doesn't sound crazy, or at least to a fellow addict or alcoholic it doesn't. Addiction doesn't follow reason, if negative consequences were enough to make an addict want to get sober and find a solid recovery then addiction wouldn't exist because everyone would stop.

Changing your entire life style under the care of a doctor should slowly but surely get things back into order. If you stop drinking, start eating a healthy balanced diet, start exercising and following the directions of your doctor along with any medicine the doctor might prescribe is your best bet. Do you have a doctor you trust?

Stopping now instead of when things continue to get worse and you get to a point where you can't undue the damage is your best bet. You can do this!
Old 07-22-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had the majority of those, still overweight since quitting booze but it is coming off slowly, I just eat too much now!
Old 07-22-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been sober 15 days. I gained 30 pounds and my liver enzymes were extremely high. With only 2 weeks, I've lost most of the weight and my blood test on Wed my liver enzymes were still elevated but dropped signifantly. Most of these things can go back to normal if you quit today and there is no permanent liver damage.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I had crazy high blood pressure from drinking, like 220 over 140 seriously. After I quit drinking it took 2-3 months of better eating, daily exercise, and losing significant weight to get it under control but I finally did. Don't even need medicine now.

Quitting alcohol was a necessary but not sufficient condition to lowering my BP, as a mathematician might say.
My BP is 150/100 my nose even bled this morning because of it. Your BP was extremely high. I can deal with 2-3 months. I will eat better and get back to exercising. Your right quitting alcohol is a necessity. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I had several of those as well ( high BP, high cholesterol, eleveated enzymes ). It's very, very common actually. And it does sound crazy - why would one willingly and knowingly poison themselves?

The answer is that it's addiction. And it simply doesn't make sense. That's why the only way out is to simply accept that it IS and that the only solution is to simply stop drinking. Have you attempted to quit before?
Thanks glad to hear this is common and hopefully with time will get back to somewhat normal. I would like to give addiction a kick in the pants.

Yes, I have attempted to quit within the last 5 years a bunch of times. I used to be a Cocaine addict didn't really drink much then this is 20+ years ago I kicked it when I was young. Then, cigarette's became my addiction. 5 1/2 years ago I quit smoking and you guessed it...I started drinking one addiction leads to another. At first it was just two glasses of wine on the weekends and slowly it became more and more. Since last April I've drank every night.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Not crazy at all.

So why are you afraid of quitting? This is not a rhetorical question. You need to really dig down and look at your fears.

Let me give you the perspective from someone who has not drank since 2010. All my fears about quitting were unfounded. So what ever your answer is for why you are afraid of quitting, it shouldn't be enough to stop you.
I don't why I'm afraid of quitting. I shouldn't be after all the misery and embarrassment it has caused me. Maybe, I'm afraid of failing? Afraid of missing it?
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I have known many in bad shape who have greatly extended their years by following doctors orders and stopped drinking. I have also known many who died at around 50 years of age that did not take heed of the good advice offered.

I am in A-Fib due to my hard living. Sober for 8 years and hanging in at 65 years old.

Sobriety seems to be the key ?

Mountainman
Congratulations on 8 years sober!! Sobriety is the key. I have a long road ahead of me.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AdelineRose View Post
It doesn't sound crazy, or at least to a fellow addict or alcoholic it doesn't. Addiction doesn't follow reason, if negative consequences were enough to make an addict want to get sober and find a solid recovery then addiction wouldn't exist because everyone would stop.

Changing your entire life style under the care of a doctor should slowly but surely get things back into order. If you stop drinking, start eating a healthy balanced diet, start exercising and following the directions of your doctor along with any medicine the doctor might prescribe is your best bet. Do you have a doctor you trust?

Stopping now instead of when things continue to get worse and you get to a point where you can't undue the damage is your best bet. You can do this!
Thank you for the inspiration .... I can and will do this.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Determined1977 View Post
I have been sober 15 days. I gained 30 pounds and my liver enzymes were extremely high. With only 2 weeks, I've lost most of the weight and my blood test on Wed my liver enzymes were still elevated but dropped signifantly. Most of these things can go back to normal if you quit today and there is no permanent liver damage.
Great job and Congratulations on 15 days. Glad to hear the weight comes off.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
I had the majority of those, still overweight since quitting booze but it is coming off slowly, I just eat too much now!
One thing at time, right?
Old 07-23-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mr

Day by day...
John the 24 hour connection thread. Check in every morning.