Notices

what to do at first heavy lager drinker

Old 07-22-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what to do at first heavy lager drinker

hello everyone new here im trying to stop drinking ive been drinking larger everyday for 6 years now from 4-15 bottles a day, although i started drinking when i was 15 at weekends ect im 26 now, ive tried to stop last year but i only made it 2 months as i felt like life was boring until i had a beer and i felt alive and could breathe again, what can i do i just feel down and not interested in anything until i have a beer, im getting scared il die im getting pains in my sides, muscle aches ect what can i do
Old 07-22-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A good first step would be to choose which recovery program clicks with you- whether is AA, Smart Recovery, Rational Recovery, Life Ring, etc. or a combination of one, two, or all of them. Second step would be to make a recovery plan- recovery isn't something you can just "wing". You need to think it through, you need to plan, you need to put the work in, and you need to make life changes in order to create a strong lasting recovery.

Finding a doctor that specializes in addiction, going to weekly counseling with a substance abuse counselor, and getting a full psychological evaluation by a psychiatrist that specializes in addiction really helped me get going in moving forward in my recovery and helped me stay strong as my weeks went by in early recovery. Journaling has also been a HUGE tool for me in recovery. Being able to look back and read how bad it truly was when I first got sober and being able to see my progress and how much better my quality of life is sober has gotten me through many weak moments. I also wrote where I want my life to be in a year and then wrote down where my life will be in a year if I continue to use. That is always a huge motivator for me.

"Life is boring" is a common feeling in early recovery. How about keeping yourself busy? Throw yourself into making a better life for yourself and start eating healthy, exercising, volunteering, creating a strong sober support system, finding new hobbies, getting involved in church if you are religious, etc. Creating a strong solid recovery is a lot of hard work, but it is worth every ounce of effort that it takes to create and maintain it I promise you that.

You can do it! We are all here for you, continue to read and post here we have all been through it or are still going through it.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks ive been to the doctors with pains he says its muscle pains and told me to stop drinking but i tried and failed as i couldnt cope feeling like i was, i got sent to this place called clearways for alcohol and drug addiction but it didnt really help me much, im trying the becks blue alcohol free lager now but i know im gunna feel pooly in a day or 2 from no real beer. thanks.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by inashoebox View Post
...i felt like life was boring until i had a beer and i felt alive and could breathe again, what can i do i just feel down and not interested in anything until i have a beer
I drank for 35 years, mostly beer. There is life after lager. It might take more than 2 months.

The last time you quit, did you do anything different? Or did you just stop drinking?

You only have to quit drinking to be sober, but you have to do a lot more to recover from alcoholism.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks when i stopped for the 2 months i was drinking alcohol free lagers every few days to try and get the cravings away, it worked for a while but i was just feeling crap and nothing interested me so i had a beer and felt great again could talk to people again as im really shy with no beer, i thought i could just drink on a friday after that and then it got worse were im back to getting hammered to feel good, its day 2 now but had a craving today so bought some becks blue alcohol free to take the crave away and it seems to be working for today. thanks.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by inashoebox View Post
...had a craving today so bought some becks blue alcohol free to take the crave away and it seems to be working for today.
I can see how you might want to "trick" your cravings by drinking non-alcoholic beer. But for me, drinking fake beer only made me want the real thing... "Quit teasing me," said my addiction.

There's a lot of stuff to drink, but no replacing alcohol for the alcoholic.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here already inashoebox

The good news is - you can live without lager - you can even be happier than you ever imagined you might be.

The bad news is it's probably going to take some time and some work.

Drinking NA stuff was like pretend quitting for me - I missed the buzz and it led me right back.

Change needs changes - real changes - to be made...and finding support to make those changes work.

Coming here is a good first step

D
Old 07-22-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Inash,

The bored feeling is the addiction. That feeling plus anxiety cause the chronic nature of our addiction to alcohol.

Remember, we here are all chronically, that means forever, addicted to alcohol.

That is why some relapse after 10 plus years etc.

Something to do w brain damage from the booze.

Lack of dopamine or some other natural happiness chemical in the brain.

It might eventually return, but it takes time and action. Some people need anti depression meds for ever. Others do it w lifestyle changes.

When you drink, the euphoria is fairly immediate. Hence, the relapses.

I learned all this here at SR. That is why I say this place saved my life.

Thanks for the post.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What has healed for you, physically, mentality, etc?

Curious about some good stories from those who have reparative things happen when they quit. Might be uplifting for some.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Shoebox