Notices

When do you feel better? What does this mean?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When do you feel better? What does this mean?

This is my third day sober after a 4-day bender... on my last night I drank enough to probably kill myself but due to the love of God and a LOT of luck I woke up committed to NEVER LETTING IT HAPPEN AGAIN.

I know it's only the third day, but I'm so afraid that I have ruined my liver for good this time. The reason I quit the first time over a year ago is because my doctor gave me an ultrasound and then put the fear of God in me (I was then able to diet and exercise my liver back into a normal size). I am in so much pain in my liver right now and I'm so exhausted. I can hardly stay awake at work and today I invited a story about food poisoning to explain why I'm falling asleep. I can't believe I did this.

How long does it take for sobriety to feel like sobriety again? I know I did this once but it feels different this time....
Old 07-22-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Madz ,

Fear was useful motivation but so was building a good and sound sober life with other decent sober people in it .

We are all different so i don't know when sobriety will feel like itself again ..

It would be wise to go get checked by the Dr or ER if your feeling peculiar.

Adding to the plan we have to maintain sobriety is worthwhile in my experience , sober people , sober things to do .

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-22-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You are still most likely in "acute" withdrawal, which is the phase that your body goes through in the physical absence of alcohol. It's a shock to the system and your body reacts as such. If you are truly in severe physical pain, please see a doctor. It's most likely not what your worst fears are, but always better to be safe than sorry, right? Remember your mind is going through withdrawals too, and anxiety is usually high - which can make you think all kinds of bad things.

Regarding a timeline, there really is no way to say when you will fell "sober". Partly because there's no definition of what feeling "normal" or "sober" actuallly is. Generally acute withdrawals can last any where from a few days to a week or two. But again, only a doctor can let you know if the physical pain you are having is related to WD's or something else ( or both ).

The silver lining of course is that withdrawals are always temporary - they will end and it WILL get better. And the even better news is that they are 100% preventable - you get to choose if you ever go through this again or not.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Madz,

Like Scott said, it sounds like you are in the 'acute' stage. I started to feel better in a week. Hope you start feeling better soon too.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are struggling right now but happy that you are back on track and working on sobriety and hopefully once you are feeling better working on a solid recovery.

I think it would be wise to go see your doctor. If you have already had a problem with your liver it would prob be a good idea to get evaluated by your doctor and he or she can take it from there. Also you will know your starting point and will be able to track progress with your liver and overall health.

Unfortunately we don't immediately feel great when we first get sober. Time is the only thing that will truly cure that but eating well, staying active even if it is just taking a short walk, having a night time routine for before you go to bed, yoga, meditation, and staying connected with your support system. Have you considered keeping a detailed journal so if you start to have a weak moment you can look back and remind yourself of how bad it got so you can get a reality check if you are ever thinking about drinking again. It has also helped me see my progress and identify any weak spots in my recovery plan.

You can do this! Keep moving forward and keep your head up- things will start to look up.