Alcoholism- a Self Diagnosed Condition?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism- a Self Diagnosed Condition?

I know the AA literature says so. The odd thing is, others in the alcoholic's life often have it figured out a LONG time before they do.

I have a new position in my company and it is going very well. There is a regional manager up the line who reminds me of my ex. Slurred speech in the morning, inconsistent directives, and a nasty disposition. Luckily, I will have very limited contact with this person. My immediate supervisors at my location will trump anything this guy wants.

After brief talk with him yesterday, I realized that I was listening to my gut and not ignoring red flags any more. A couple of years ago, a brush with this guy would have had me obsessing about my ex. Now I realize that I am repelled by this type of personality that I used to be drawn to.

My immediate supervisor and I had a candid conversation about the drunk one the other day, where everything was upbeat. Basically we compared notes and agreed to just move on and conduct business.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's interesting isn't it. There is an employee here who you would think is straight as an arrow, single, never goes out and does anything, by the book on everything at work. A good employee overall. However....she is a complete hypochondriac and is on pills on a regular basis. She does not get a headache, she has a migraine. Her shoulder cannot hurt, it must be dislocated. You get the type. She slurs around and I can completely tell when she is pilled up. It's Rx pills so she thinks it's just fine to pop as many as she wants. Her whole family is like this, and the exchange pills all the time.

No one really notices, and I don't say anything b/c it's not really my place here to do so. However, there is a girl who recently started who is a recovered addict herself from her teen days, and she recognized it right off the bat. We've become really good friends, and she said to me almost immediately, "That girl is addicted to Rx drugs, how scary." I was shocked she could see it so clearly.

I avoid this person b/c that sort of behavior just makes me want to be as far away as possible from a person as I can. Luckily, we email a lot at my job, LOL.

Very interesting stuff.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At various times my AW has called herself an alcoholic - then turned around and blamed me for her becoming that way. Then at other times she denies being one.

She never has been good about keeping the lies straight! Of course, she's always 'strong enough' to fix whatever issues she has - yet they never seem to get fixed.

What twisted minds they have.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a great feeling that we can take something that we have learned ad apply it to our lives, and worked it.!!!

I am also like everyone else, I do not like dealing with addicts in any way shape or form.. Yuck!! Yuck !! Yuck!!

E- you are staying on the right path my friend!!!