Notices

Most People Hardly Drink

Old 07-20-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Most People Hardly Drink

Since I've quit drinking I made a huge discovery. Hardly anyone drinks to excess. I've been to many social events that serve liquor and most people only have a couple of drinks. They will bring 1 bottle of wine to share between 2 people, often leaving the bottle unfinished. They will bring 6 beers for 2 people. Not many people drink to excess.

When I was actively drinking, I knew I drank more but I didn't realize just how much more I drank. Sure I had a few friends who drank like me, but when I think back to the social parties I went to, I'll bet I was one of the few people wandering around those places drunk. I know I got a reputation in those social circles. I remember one painful moment when someone I hardly knew said to me "oh yeah, you're the one who likes her wine". OUCH. And yet - I drank to excess for years afterward.

I would always worry whether there would be enough booze for me. Should I bring a big bottle of wine? Two bottles?

If I hosted something at my own home, I would have extra for me. I could top up my glass, or I would steal sips from my ex-husbands glass.

I don't know exactly when it happened that I started hiding booze. I'd buy that extra bottle and when my ex would come home I'd open up one for us to share and of course I had my extra one. Getting rid of the empties when he was at work. Trying to act sober when he came home. Make sure I had enough wine in the house (we lived in the country) so that I would not be drinking and driving.

Now that I'm sober I am amazed that most people hardly drink. I can spot the drinkers (takes one to know one). I don't like talking to drunk people - they make no sense, repeat themselves and are just not pleasant to be around. It's embarrassing to remember that I was once "one of those people".

People don't care if you don't drink, but they do care if you drink too much because you might be the one who will break something, punch someone, start an argument, drive somewhere and kill someone, or you might be that person who starts crying and feeling sorry for themselves, or the one who hangs all over people telling them how much you love them....a slobbering mess.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Our awareness certainly does turn on once we stop drinking. Great message!
Old 07-20-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

so true! I recently attended a wedding with about 100 guests. There was only 1 obvious over drinker in that large crowd.

I thought to myself, in the past, that would have been me. I had no idea I was generally one of the few obvious drunks in a crowd.

I know now.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So true.

A friend and I just had this conversation on Sun. We had been at a small local restaurant listening to a high school friend play and sing - he is so talented and it was such a fun night. Neither of us drink, and afterwords he asked me what I thought about being there, where our friend's wife and his parents had a couple of drinks, relaxing with their BBQ. Both of us agreed it was no big deal (for us) and one of the things I said I liked about it was how my attention was focused on my friend's parents who were hilarious and so fun to talk to - I wasn't thinking about getting up to get another drink (though sometimes to go to the bathroom bc I had so much diet coke!). We talked more about how "normal" people behave at parties and the times we were the drunks, etc. It feels nice- and going to things are fun, probably more fun than when we were drinking.

This is a good mental image of a time to remember any time I might feel "weird" or whatever being somewhere I am not drinking.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

How crafty is this?

I was at a friends place for supper and drinks (this was about 6 years ago) and of course wine was involved. For me - plenty of wine. There was a couple there that I met for the first time and I was enjoying talking with the wife. She was drinking heavily (for her) and started slurring her words. Of course, like two drunks we were having a very heart-to-heart conversation. I remember her commenting that I didn't seem very drunk considering I was drinking as much as her. Do you know what I did? Within 5 to 10 minutes I started acting drunker. I didn't want to be seen as someone who could drink so much and not appear drunk. Isn't that crazy!
Old 07-20-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Since I've quit drinking I made a huge discovery. Hardly anyone drinks to excess. I've been to many social events that serve liquor and most people only have a couple of drinks. They will bring 1 bottle of wine to share between 2 people, often leaving the bottle unfinished. They will bring 6 beers for 2 people. Not many people drink to excess.

When I was actively drinking, I knew I drank more but I didn't realize just how much more I drank. Sure I had a few friends who drank like me, but when I think back to the social parties I went to, I'll bet I was one of the few people wandering around those places drunk. I know I got a reputation in those social circles. I remember one painful moment when someone I hardly knew said to me "oh yeah, you're the one who likes her wine". OUCH. And yet - I drank to excess for years afterward.

I would always worry whether there would be enough booze for me. Should I bring a big bottle of wine? Two bottles?

If I hosted something at my own home, I would have extra for me. I could top up my glass, or I would steal sips from my ex-husbands glass.

I don't know exactly when it happened that I started hiding booze. I'd buy that extra bottle and when my ex would come home I'd open up one for us to share and of course I had my extra one. Getting rid of the empties when he was at work. Trying to act sober when he came home. Make sure I had enough wine in the house (we lived in the country) so that I would not be drinking and driving.

Now that I'm sober I am amazed that most people hardly drink. I can spot the drinkers (takes one to know one). I don't like talking to drunk people - they make no sense, repeat themselves and are just not pleasant to be around. It's embarrassing to remember that I was once "one of those people".

People don't care if you don't drink, but they do care if you drink too much because you might be the one who will break something, punch someone, start an argument, drive somewhere and kill someone, or you might be that person who starts crying and feeling sorry for themselves, or the one who hangs all over people telling them how much you love them....a slobbering mess.
I could have written this, pretty much word-for-word.
How embarrassing when you realize you were one of the few drunk people. That's why I tended to hang around more with people who drank like I did. Then we were all stupid together. I hardly ever see those people anymore - they still drink like that and it's just boring and annoying to be around them after they get going. Sometimes I'll still go to events with them, but I politely leave when the drunk behavior starts.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I agree 100%. That's why I always had to bring more beer with me wherever I went, I'd keep it stashed wherever I could ( In the trunk of the car, hidden in a cooler somewhere, etc ). Wouldn't want anyone to realize how much of their beer I was actually drinking!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have had this same revelation! Most people don't even think about drinking. And when they do drink, it's only a few before "it's enough" because they feel full or otherwise uncomfortable.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I don't remember where I read that only 30% of people drink more than one drink a month, also the other interesting fact is that the 10% of alcoholics buy more than half of all the alcohol sold.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Where I live, there is no shortage of heavy drinkers, unfortunately...it's the culture here. Not to say there aren't plenty of non-drinkers or occasional/rare drinkers, but I believe there are more heavy drinkers than many other places.

I do find those heavy drinkers irritating now, though. When you go watch music, the ones that are the first (and only) ones out there, (clumsily) dancing. That was me once, I am so glad it isn't anymore!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Yup, that was me
Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I tell my normie wife she is abusing alcohol when she leaves half a glass of wine. In my book not drinking all of a drink is clearly alcohol abuse
Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My wife rarely drinks to excess but the parties we go to just about everyone gets smashed , I find it funny because most of them are wine connoisseurs but after 5 or 6 bottles of expensive wine it seems like a waste of money. Concerts and nightclubs are different not so many people out of control maybe because drinks are so expensive 8 to 10 dollars for a beer, no thanks.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cherrybreeze View Post
Where I live, there is no shortage of heavy drinkers, unfortunately...it's the culture here. Not to say there aren't plenty of non-drinkers or occasional/rare drinkers, but I believe there are more heavy drinkers than many other places.

I do find those heavy drinkers irritating now, though. When you go watch music, the ones that are the first (and only) ones out there, (clumsily) dancing. That was me once, I am so glad it isn't anymore!
I'm in Wisconsin, too. It does seem to be part of the culture, more so than other places I've lived. Especially in small towns like mine, and it's a college town, too. Hard to escape alcohol or find activities that don't include it somehow. I have had to learn quickly to be around it without it bothering me, or I would have zero social life.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Over half the people in the world don't drink period. Anyone who drinks at all is in the minority.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to think EVERYONE drank.
turned out it was just the people I hung with. tons of people at the same bars I went to that actually weren't there to get knee walkin drunk.
and quite a few not even drinkin alcohol.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The hiding, the planning ahead whether there will be enough etc has been me over and over again. I don't think I've ever come home sober from a social event or a party. And if I happened to have only a couple of drinks I'd always continue drinking as soon as I got home. For me there's nothing like 'a glass of wine' , I would have the full bottle and more.
The realisation that most people aren't hungover every single weekend has been quite a discovery for me.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

When I reconnected with old friends this past year, that's when I really discovered that 30 years ago when we were young, we'd really PARTY. They, however, grew up and most of them hardly drink anymore. They can take it or leave it. I finally grew up, and realize that I can't take it, I have to leave it.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My M.O. was to be at least half in the bag by the time I arrived at the party. That way I only drank half as much in front of others as I had actually consumed.

Pretty shrewd, huh? Except, using my method, I risked DUI's both to AND from the party, and I was, of course, still a drunken mess at the end of the party.

I am so glad those days are over.....
Old 07-20-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah I almost always had a couple before any social event. I blamed it on social anxiety - I needed a couple just to get relaxed enough to walk through the door. Partially true, but really, it was so I could be sure to get the buzz I was after even if there wasn't a lot of booze at the party, or in case it was an event where it would look bad if I went to the bar 6 times.