Notices

does it ever get easier?

Old 07-19-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

does it ever get easier?

Every night seems to be this hard process of will I get one, will I not.

Its only night 3 but not getting any easier!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Of course. There are any number of folks here on SR that can attest that it gets easier. . .

But not in three days. Not in a week probably. And depending on how long you've been drinking and struggling to quit, perhaps longer.

I think as alcoholics we want recovery to provide the same instant gratification that drinking provides. That isn't how it works. But stay strong, stay sober, you'll see it's easier.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Of course. There are any number of folks here on SR that can attest that it gets easier. . .

But not in three days. Not in a week probably. And depending on how long you've been drinking and struggling to quit, perhaps longer.

I think as alcoholics we want recovery to provide the same instant gratification that drinking provides. That isn't how it works. But stay strong, stay sober, you'll see it's easier.
Thanks am trying, 11 years and a bottle of wine per night it is a struggle to quit. Especially quitting full stop, no medication and no cutting it back.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what carl said.
we wouldn't be here if it didn't get easier.

I took time for the craving,compulsion, and obsession to be gone. It was about 6 months before I made a full 24hrs without even thinking about a drink.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 32 and can tell you it does get easier once your old habit is broken. Hang in there. Use this site as often as you can. It helps .
Old 07-19-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes it gets easier tambdy it's not overnight but bit by bit things get better

So much better than any of my dark days drinking

Can't tell you how much you will love this feeling of no longer being a slave to alcohol
Old 07-19-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
I'm on day 32 and can tell you it does get easier once your old habit is broken. Hang in there. Use this site as often as you can. It helps .
Congrats on day 32 feels like a lifetime away the now.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Yes it gets easier tambdy it's not overnight but bit by bit things get better

So much better than any of my dark days drinking

Can't tell you how much you will love this feeling of no longer being a slave to alcohol
The only good thing SW is my sleeping. Touch wood am sleeping like a baby from 11pm to 7am. I usually wake up all through the night.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
what carl said.
we wouldn't be here if it didn't get easier.

I took time for the craving,compulsion, and obsession to be gone. It was about 6 months before I made a full 24hrs without even thinking about a drink.
6 months is great, how long are you on now?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

It definitely gets easier. I'm a year and a half in, and I almost never think about drinking now. And when I do, it's more like "I could drink, but why in the world would I want to?"

I noticed I slept better almost immediately, too. Some people have trouble with sleep patterns after quitting for a while, so you are lucky that way, too. I slept A LOT right at the beginning. My body and brain needed time to heal.

Give it time. It really does get better.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
It definitely gets easier. I'm a year and a half in, and I almost never think about drinking now. And when I do, it's more like "I could drink, but why in the world would I want to?"

I noticed I slept better almost immediately, too. Some people have trouble with sleep patterns after quitting for a while, so you are lucky that way, too. I slept A LOT right at the beginning. My body and brain needed time to heal.

Give it time. It really does get better.
I definitely need time to heal, I was/am falling apart and in pain which will repair itself, I am just really struggling and only on day 3.

Day 4,5,6 are terrifying me.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I promise you it will get easier and easier as long as you put in the work that is needed to reach a solid and lasting recovery.

You can't just stop drinking and expect everything to be perfect. You need to put in the work- exercise, eat healthy, get a doctor behind you, pick a recovery method- AA, Smart Recovery, Life Ring, Rational Recovery etc., substance abuse counseling can be very helpful, volunteer, get a support system of sober friends or family or both. Journaling has always been very helpful for me.

As long as you continue to move forward and refuse to go backwards it will get easier and easier.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post

...I noticed I slept better almost immediately, too. ..
me too :-)
Old 07-19-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by AdelineRose View Post
I promise you it will get easier and easier as long as you put in the work that is needed to reach a solid and lasting recovery.

You can't just stop drinking and expect everything to be perfect. You need to put in the work- exercise, eat healthy, get a doctor behind you, pick a recovery method- AA, Smart Recovery, Life Ring, Rational Recovery etc., substance abuse counseling can be very helpful, volunteer, get a support system of sober friends or family or both. Journaling has always been very helpful for me.

As long as you continue to move forward and refuse to go backwards it will get easier and easier.
Healthy eating is a major problem for me, I don't like salad or veg. This I know is a big issue and I don't know where to start.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

It definitely gets better. I'm not sure how to handle or what to say to the nuances of "easier", but with time 'it' definitely gets better.
The goods news too is that it doesn't get more difficult. Worry about days 4,5,6 etc when you are 'in' them. The AV , the addictive voice, the little voice in the background of your thinking is trying to use the idea that it will or can be more difficult to weaken your resolve to stay quit.
Right now, this very moment, you are able to not drink,yes? And now in this particular moment too, yes? It may be difficult and uncomfortable right now, but rest assured it will get better, not worse or more difficult.
You can do this, you're doing right now , and you can do it in any 'now' you find yourself in. Rootin for ya
Check in here often, read post ask, use the great support here at SR
Wish you we'll and hope to see you around(it gets better, promise)
Old 07-19-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It gets easier. And life gets better. I guarantee you that both of those things are true.

But, if you start drinking again, it will get harder. And your life will not get better.

Bear down. Grit your teeth. Get through this day. And if you aren't sure if you can get through the day, then get through the next hour.

Stay close to SR. Keep posting. Avoid HALT (Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired)

You can DO this tambdy!
Old 07-19-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it gets better. I noticed at about six months I no longer thought about drinking (or not drinking) all the time. Stay sober and allow yourself to heal.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
It definitely gets better. I'm not sure how to handle or what to say to the nuances of "easier", but with time 'it' definitely gets better.
The goods news too is that it doesn't get more difficult. Worry about days 4,5,6 etc when you are 'in' them. The AV , the addictive voice, the little voice in the background of your thinking is trying to use the idea that it will or can be more difficult to weaken your resolve to stay quit.
Right now, this very moment, you are able to not drink,yes? And now in this particular moment too, yes? It may be difficult and uncomfortable right now, but rest assured it will get better, not worse or more difficult.
You can do this, you're doing right now , and you can do it in any 'now' you find yourself in. Rootin for ya
Check in here often, read post ask, use the great support here at SR
Wish you we'll and hope to see you around(it gets better, promise)
The AV was strong tonight but now the shop is shut it is not bothering me at all.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
It gets easier. And life gets better. I guarantee you that both of those things are true.

But, if you start drinking again, it will get harder. And your life will not get better.

Bear down. Grit your teeth. Get through this day. And if you aren't sure if you can get through the day, then get through the next hour.

Stay close to SR. Keep posting. Avoid HALT (Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired)

You can DO this tambdy!
I will stick to it, thanks for your words of support.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by least View Post
Yes, it gets better. I noticed at about six months I no longer thought about drinking (or not drinking) all the time. Stay sober and allow yourself to heal.
6 months seems such a long time away.