Notices

Suggestions??

Old 07-19-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suggestions??

I know that everyone's walk is different. but I am interested in ways that you've changed and habits and hobbies that have helped you not only stay sober but change your quality of life. Im really looking forward to a new life. Well, my and life just sober and enriched. Your suggestions can be boring, adventurous, free or cheap. I'm open. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One thing that came to mind right away is that I am accepting invitations to things that sound fun, but that I might have ignored in the past. Examples - this past Sun, I saw a friend post on FB that he was playing at a local restaurant - casual BBQ place. I have seen his posts about it a million times, love to hear him play and sing, and never went; mostly bc I had "better" things to do like drinking. It was a great time. Next Sun, I am going to an afternoon BBQ another friend let me know about bc she is trying to help her friend launch his business; it will be an afternoon with mostly people I do not know, other than my friend, one I invited along and maybe one or two others.

I have gotten back involved with a volunteer org that was important to me in the past. In AA, service work is a big part of recovery, so this is one of my ways to do it.

I read - and am trying to put some books on spirituality in my rotation that may challenge me. Just started reading The Untethered Soul.

I started running again; just had my first race last Sun and have two more planned for Aug, then into the fall at increasing distances.

I don't spend time hanging out in the restaurants I used to go to, where I sat at the bar reading or working; I'd go alone or by myself. Now I do about one thing a week, maybe two, social things like dinner with a friend out somewhere; I don't mind places that serve alcohol, but I do typically stay away from my old regular spots.

I come home from work and change clothes, whether I am going somewhere again that night, exercising or just staying home; I don't keep alcohol at home so I think I just instinctively started changing any post-work habits I had.

I go to AA meetings - usually 5-7 a week. My MWF lunch group is my favorite.

Just a few ideas...
Old 07-19-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by FaithfulAndFree View Post
I am interested in ways that you've changed and habits and hobbies that have helped you not only stay sober but change your quality of life.
I had hobbies when I drank. Hobbies weren't going to get me sober. I did ingrain new habits, the primary one being the habit of recovery. Every day was a day I actively engaged in addressing my alcoholism and learning to live and love a sober life. Every day.

Successful sobriety for me didn't hinge on just not drinking. I had to understand the malady and fix my maladjusted coping mechanism. The drinking was but a symptom.

Did I have to find stuff to distract me from drinking, to ride through the cravings, to relieve the "supposed" boredom of early recovery? Yes, but that was just a small part of my plan.

And do I have hobbies and passions now? Yes, but they are the result of my sobriety...not my recovery plan.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One switch I made was that I had a weekly pub night with a particular group. I switched to playing music instead, arranging rehearsals for an amateur band I'm in for the same time. Helped me to break that 10 year old habit. And am a much better musician now as well. I try and catch up with the ones in the pub group I consider friends rather than drinking buddies for morning or afternoon coffee instead.

If music is your thing, try taking up an instrument, or pick one back up that you used to play as a kid. I find it's a fantastic stress reliever.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have a great Sticky post about things we've done. Personally, I started walking a lot and got back to my love of music and reading.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

While I am not an addict, I have some habits that I am trying to break myself. Some helpful distractions recently have been doing some cooking, actual planning of recipes, prep, and cook. I have a DD who likes to help, so tonight we will be making dinner together.

I have also been walking a lot, I live near a park. My older DD likes to come with me, gives us some good quality time. I have also met lots of other nice people and dogs there.

My other project has been landscaping my yard this year. I have done some cheap things (got perrenials out of my moms yard, mulch, new boarders, etc). It's been a long project, but it's been fun looking out for the sales, and rewarding to see it all come together. I plan to host a nice outdoor BBQ once it cools off a bit, and let both of my kids have a little outdoor get together for back to school.

What do you like to do? My older DD just started taking Zumba and Yoga at the local gym. You just pay a couple bucks per session. Our library actually offers free Yoga classes to the public during the summer. She is also caught up in the Pokémon Go thing, and has met lots of nice people LOL.

My younger DD likes photography, so for X mas I got her a camera and she started going places and takes some really nice photos.

I think you should determine what your interests are, and go from there. I live in a town of about 10k people and there are literally tons of things to do here in the summer, you just have to research a little.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-19-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Learning to play guitar was the big one--
I also like puzzles, reading novels, keeping a journal.

Physically, I started hiking and a yoga practice as well
as returning to the gym.

Cooking gourmet food and going to Farmer's market weekly
were also things I began to do regularly, and since
I no longer drank alcohol, I got some books on herbal teas
and started blending my own--lots of bulk organic herbs for
cheap on Amazon.

Making jewelry (stringing beads / gemstones) is going to be my
focus this Fall. Again, inexpensive relatively speaking if you
go someplace like Firemountaingems to get basic materials.

I spend far less on all these things than I did drinking, and love
my quality of life much more.
Sobriety is great!