Notices

This was my day off.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This was my day off.

I mowed the lawn, weed wacked, power washed the patio, assembled a bounce house, moved way too heavy furniture to the basement for next garage sale (sure I'll be feeling that tomorrow) and drank half a 750ml of vodka in the process.

Felt weird posting, yet spent time perusing the posts the last 3 weeks without a drink. Thought I'd write while I'm coming down. Thought earlier about writing, before I was going up.

Today I funk'ed up. I am 20 vs. 2.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thought earlier about writing, before I was going up.
I think writing before you drank wooed have been the best thing to do, hands down.

Why do you think you didn't?
D
Old 07-18-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Knew it wasn't the best idea before, thought of SR. It's a start.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think dees hit the nail on the head there Emdeavor. It seems you only come here lately after you are drunk. If sobriety is what you seek, you need to find a way to seek help before you start drinking.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are both right and I don't know what to say. I don't enjoy looking at calendars with X's in the days, but I think I might need another one.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
You are both right and I don't know what to say. I don't enjoy looking at calendars with X's in the days, but I think I might need another one.
How about saying "I am an alcoholic and I need help". Or "I will go to an AA meeting tomorrow". Or "No matter what, I will not drink today".
Old 07-18-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Stick around, Endeavor. Eventually SoberRecovery will work its way into your brain and make it harder to drink.

Maybe read around the "Friends and Family" section to give you some perspective on what your drinking does to others.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Stick around,Endeavor. Eventually SoberRecovery will work its way into your brain and make it harder to drink.

Maybe read around the "Friends and Family" section to give you some perspective on what your drinking does to others.
Thank you.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd really encourage you to do more than mark off the days. You'll get back what you put into your recovery Endeavour, so give it all you've got

D
Old 07-18-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You'll get back what you put into your recovery Endeavour, so give it all you've got

D
I'm trying Dee.

I just tossed a half bottle of Tito's out, drank like a gallon of water and I'll be totally fine tomorrow. I'm a cheap bastard and that hurt more now than the good I will likely experience later by doing it.

Life has become so much about work and family. My wife and I are great friends, but this is the one thing I keep quiet. It's like a past she knew of and we grew out of, but I still do it on my 'day off' if quoting yourself is ok.

What's f'd up is when I do take that day, I think I do so many things to counteract it, it's never an outward problem. We have substance and there is joy, but there is a real self destructive side to myself I am trying to starve.

Since I started counting it's 20 vs. 2, which equates to 10% shizhead.

As I said, I'm trying.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My addiction counsellor said to me early in treatment "alcoholics in recovery don't get a day off". I hated him for it because sure I deserve the "odd day" off here and there. But of course, he was quite right.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
totfit

Oh, I have done very similar in the past. I think it was to make me feel better about drinking. Thing is, it neither did that, nor made the drinking "better". Still wound up pretty much the same, just drunk and craving.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you could try to focus on what you could do to support your recovery, besides stopping drinking. You might be surprised how small changes in lifestyle help to make you feel better about yourself and therefore encourage sobriety.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Oh, I have done very similar in the past. I think it was to make me feel better about drinking.
Yeah, definitely feeling that furniture moving this morning. I'm in my office, sore as hell. Don't feel hungover thankfully, but holy hell I clearly overdid it with my booze muscles.

I'll try for no more days off for as long as I can.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Maybe you could try to focus on what you could do to support your recovery, besides stopping drinking. You might be surprised how small changes in lifestyle help to make you feel better about yourself and therefore encourage sobriety.
This is good advice.

I've been thinking about taking up bike riding again. I'm going to try to remember or condition myself so the next time I think about picking up a bottle, I'll throw on my helmet and ride a 5-10K around the area.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is good advice.

I've been thinking about taking up bike riding again. I'm going to try to remember or condition myself so the next time I think about picking up a bottle, I'll throw on my helmet and ride a 5-10K around the area.
Do it. Cycling was my go to recovery activity. I especially cherish my early Sunday morning rides. The world is yours because most everyone is still passed out. But what you also need is a sober plan. Fill up your days with things to do. And make sure you leave room for focusing on your recovery too. Meetings, therapy, books, movies, writing SOMETHING that puts your focus on why you are not drinking anymore. You can't just ignore this problem and hope it will go away. Face it, deal with it and be proud for what you are doing. You seem to be on the cusp, you just need to accept reality and let the healing begin.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Some good advice here Endeavor.

Your post really rung a bell for my. All those days I spent being "super productive" while drinking. I'd build things, paint things, mow things, clean things, etc. I'd be really proud of myself and tell my wife, "look how good a job I did!" Then I'd come back the next day (whenever the hangover allowed me to get out of bed) and look at it all, and I'd realize that the things I built didn't have one right angle, that the things I painted were sloppy and needed to be re-done, that the things I mowed were rough and uneven, and that the things I cleaned really weren't that clean.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0percentABV View Post
Do it. Cycling was my go to recovery activity. I especially cherish my early Sunday morning rides. The world is yours because most everyone is still passed out. But what you also need is a sober plan. Fill up your days with things to do. And make sure you leave room for focusing on your recovery too.
Used to do 70 mile rides a few times a year and local 5-10K's, I miss it. Even now, no matter what I do Friday night, 9am I'm out doing something with the kids so I can never really take it too far. Funny how you'll see me here on an off Monday night bitchin, or some lazy Sunday. It still sucks either way, I see your point and it's helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
Some good advice here Endeavor.

Your post really rung a bell for my. All those days I spent being "super productive" while drinking. I'd build things, paint things, mow things, clean things, etc. I'd be really proud of myself and tell my wife, "look how good a job I did!" Then I'd come back the next day (whenever the hangover allowed me to get out of bed) and look at it all, and I'd realize that the things I built didn't have one right angle, that the things I painted were sloppy and needed to be re-done, that the things I mowed were rough and uneven, and that the things I cleaned really weren't that clean.
OK, this one gave me a laugh. You're right of course, but it was never done wrong. I just don't get that belligerent using power tools! Yet, I will admit, I do tend to leave a few things undone which should have been done, but must tend to it the next day if I'm really working hard on that 'day off' of mine.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

OK, this one gave me a laugh. You're right of course, but it was never done wrong. I just don't get that belligerent using power tools! Yet, I will admit, I do tend to leave a few things undone which should have been done, but must tend to it the next day if I'm really working hard on that 'day off' of mine.
Yeah, YMMV, but it turns out that I wasn't nearly as competent while hammered as my drunken self was leading me to believe!