Notices

Bad news

Old 07-18-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad news

Well, we just received some bad news today. Maybe In a couple months from now it won't feel like bad news anymore, but today it is.

The house we rent is my moms. My husband and I have lived there for 9 years. My mom told me today that we have until September first to find another lance to live. She is not working now and neither is my stepdad and they are on a fixed income. They are selling their current house and moving in to the one I'm in.

I knew we couldn't live here forever. Heck, just yesterday I started writing down 5 year goals that included buying a house, whether it be this one or a different one.

One thing I have anxiety about is being embarrassed at the things they will want to fix before they move in. It's nothing major, and things that need replaced over time due to normal wear and tear, such as a garage door that need replaced due to coming off the hinges. I just don't see the house being up to their standards really, which is non of my business either.

The good news is that my husband has an acquaintance that has a house for rent and will fit our needs as we have pets and chickens. Private owner, no income or credit check. We look at it as soon as we found out this morning. Seems like it'll work out. I am worried about finances though.

Also, we don't have a bunch of stuff inside the house, just basic stuff and not a lot of clutter. But the garage is another thing. We have a junk removal business and buy/sell stuff, she the garage and outside areas have a bunch of crap that we need to get rid....

Everything happens for a reason.

And my mom will be 1-2 miles away from me instead of 25 miles away. So I'm guessing g I'll probably see her more too.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also wanted to thank anyone who reads this. I just needed to get it out. I'm a mess.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At least you have found another place and as you say everything happens for a reason. Maybe you can have a big garage sale to help clean out and raise funds! Good luck to you.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel ya, I had to move a couple of months ago. It can be stressful, for sure. But I dealt with it a lot better being sober than if I'd been drinking. It would have been totally overwhelming, because I would have looked at everything that needed to be done, all at once, instead of just one thing at a time, one moment at a time. You'll get through it. Just remind yourself that "this too shall pass."
Old 07-18-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Know were here Jillian always x
Old 07-18-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all. We just met with my mom and it went well. I get the feeling they are selling the house though and not moving in, and that's ok. It's not my house, it's hers. And it really only makes sense since they are retired to sell and downsize. I just wish we were given notice sooner, a lot sooner, but it is what it is.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I'm dealing with a similar situation as well. My wife and I moved from Vermont to Colorado last summer. We went from owning our home that we put ten years of love and sweat into, to living in a tiny apartment in a complex with 1800 units. So we had to downsize, sell stuff, throw things away, and get it out here. And now, we have just bought a house here in Colorado, so I'm reliving the emotional turmoil of the last move. Being taken out of my comfort zone and thrown into this apartment was a real challenge for me. Unfortunately, it led to me giving in and picking the bottle back up last summer. Now I'm dealing with all of this, and it's hard, but I am actively engaged with my recovery every minute of every day. So I'm using this new house as an opportunity to live somewhere that I have never been a drunk. It's a fresh start, and a return to privacy and freedom for us. Plus, we now have a yard for our dog, instead of this crappy communal courtyard that she shares with hundreds of other dogs. Seeing my dog happy alleviates so much of my stress. So, for a few more days, I will be busy, overworked, tired, and not sure what I need to do next. But Thursday night, I will close my eyes and go to sleep in my new home. It's a horrible hassle, but growth always hurts.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Having to move on short notice stinks. That is true. However, maybe you could look at it as an opportunity? It was probably easy just staying in the house, so maybe this is just what you need to start moving forward with that plan? I'm kinda a glass-half-full guy, but it seems to me that this might be just what you need in order to kick it into gear and start making that 5-year plan a reality.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
So I'm using this new house as an opportunity to live somewhere that I have never been a drunk. It's a fresh start, and a return to privacy and freedom for us.
I didn't think of it like that. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
Having to move on short notice stinks. That is true. However, maybe you could look at it as an opportunity? It was probably easy just staying in the house, so maybe this is just what you need to start moving forward with that plan? I'm kinda a glass-half-full guy, but it seems to me that this might be just what you need in order to kick it into gear and start making that 5-year plan a reality.
I think it will be very good. I'm feeling much better now. Who would've thought I'd be told to move out AND find a house to live into in the same day? There IS a reason this is happening, and it seems it's actually for the good now. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Moving is always incredibly stressful, it seems. It sounds like you're really focusing on the positives of your situation. Good job.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jillian

I was in much the same position a few years back, but not only did things work out, they worked out brilliantly.

I trust and believe it'll be the same for you too - more to the point, I know it can be done sober

D
Old 07-18-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Moving is always incredibly stressful, it seems. It sounds like you're really focusing on the positives of your situation. Good job.
I am trying too but it's hard. I grew up moving from place to place to place and changing schools all the time. This is the one place my son knows. But where we think we are moving too is in the same schools so that's good. We told my son tonight, he seemed upset but he also was interested in looking at the new house. His room will be smaller and was bummed out about that but in stating positive around him.