Worried for kids health

Old 07-17-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried for kids health

My X needs to attend AA meetings, instead of talking to our 9 year old twins about his sorrows. I cannot control his actions.....How many more chances should he get before I say enough is enough. Tonight, he has been sobbing to me over phone and texting, while it is his parent time. This happens regularly, 2-4 X/mo.
Advice?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would think that enough is enough already. Children do not and should not have to take on adult burdens. This is what their father is doing, and it is not fair to them. It is important for them to have stability from both of their parents. If their dad cannot provide that for them right now, you need to. I am not saying that he shouldn't see his kids, but probably not for extended periods of time, as it is apparent that he cannot handle it. Is he in counseling? AA can be great, but it seems that his issues go much deeper than what AA can provide.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

bherenow.....first of all....do you think that he is drinking while he has the kids?
Crying and sobbing and lamenting sorrows sounds suspicious of intoxication......

If it is happening during parenting time, primarily....sounds like the parenting time might be too much for him to handle, like bherenow has suggested.....

dandylion
Old 07-17-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You need to put a stop to this.
My dad would sit and cry and unburden himself onto me, from me being 5
Then, while I worried myself to death for days about things he had said, he would sober up, not give it a second thought probably not even remember while I was in mental and emotional anguish.
I felt it was my responsiblity to make him feel better.
Years later a therapist told me, this is what is known as emotional abuse, and it's very damaging.
You must step in and protect them, like you would if it were physical abuse. Whether he's drunk or not, it's damaging to your babies
Old 07-18-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

^^^^^^^agree.

dandylion
Old 07-18-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I strongly agree. My parents did this too. Unburdened their adult problems onto my child size shoulders. Caused me a lot of harm.

Children need protecting.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fripfrop View Post
You need to put a stop to this.
My dad would sit and cry and unburden himself onto me, from me being 5
Then, while I worried myself to death for days about things he had said, he would sober up, not give it a second thought probably not even remember while I was in mental and emotional anguish.
I felt it was my responsiblity to make him feel better.
Years later a therapist told me, this is what is known as emotional abuse, and it's very damaging.
You must step in and protect them, like you would if it were physical abuse. Whether he's drunk or not, it's damaging to your babies
I endured the same--and now pay the price as an adult alcoholic myself.
You are very right to think it is impacting your son's health.
I had an ulcer by age 13 thanks to treatment like this,
and now as an adult, have fear of intimacy and difficulty with emotional engagement
which is no small part due to treatment like this as a child.
No adult was there to stop it, and it never stopped.

Please do whatever you have to to keep your son away from being
an alcoholic's emotional dumping ground--it will have lifelong
consequences.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would put a stop to this. My X usto do this to our kids, and it did it's damage to them. They are not his counselor, they are children.

So sorry!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bherenow, can you talk with your twins and empower them to know they can walk away from any such conversation their dad tries to start. (Assuming it would be safe for them to do so.) It's a little different because it was phone calls, but from the time DS was about 5-6, he knew he could hang up on his dad (or anyone else) when he called and sounded drunk. Even if AXH kept right on talking, DS would say, "OK. Bye." click.

For his visits with his dad, DS and I safety planned and worked out what he could do if he ever felt scared.

Like Dandylion, my first thought was also that your X might be drinking when he does that. Is the custody/visitation order set up to where your kids could call you and come home if their dad's drinking?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd like to add my voice to those who experienced this sort of treatment as a child. It causes permanent scars and damage that will show up in all subsequent relationships until it has been worked thru. Please do what you must to stop your kids from going thru this; stop the damage from being passed on to yet another generation. They are not prepared and do not deserve it.

I am NOT trying to shame you, just making sure that you know this is serious business. Check out the "Adult Children of Alcoholics" section of the forum if you doubt it.

Wishing you clarity to see what you need to do and strength to do it.