Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Well I quit drinking for 4 days. But don't think it will hold. Plus a few questions.

Notices

Well I quit drinking for 4 days. But don't think it will hold. Plus a few questions.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

As I've posted before my drinking has escalated of late from weekend binge drinking to just about every day, about 5 days a week. My weapon of choice is a bottle of red wine plus 1 to 4 tallboy beers a night. I noticed however that I was getting more and more anxious the longer I drank. But I didn't want to stop. I wouldn't get much in the way of a hangover but by 1pm the next day I was feeling withdrawal, anxiety, cold hands and feet, etc. Nothing crazy but hard to take. Possibly because I take Prozac I would feel the withdrawl effects sooner than others I'm not sure.

At any rate I decided that I had to go at least a few days sober till I felt better. Today is my 4th day without drinking and I feel pretty good. But I can also feel that I'm not likely to be able to keep it up. I need something to replace it with.

I have a few question for others too regarding withdrawal side effects. After about the 2nd day I noticed that along with the anxiety I had some other worrying side effects. The first was what seems like an inability to keep my eyes focused on things. Like my focus would go in and out or drift, or even my gaze would wander. And second I would feel a strange type of anxiety in my head, like bees buzzing under the surface of my skull, right behind my eyes. This would go away if I shook my head or squeeze my eyes shut tightly for a second, but it would come back. I say it's anxiety because that's what it feels like but it also feels like something is about to "happen" which is an odd explanation. Can anyone relate to any of the above?

Like I said I don't know how come I could be such a ******** idiot as to want to go back to drinking again given I feel better now and had the above negative effects. But damn it if I almost know for sure that I will drink tomorrow, a day off for me. Feel free to get angry at me. :-(
Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Smilax, it might be a good idea to check with your doctor about detoxing and your symtoms. A DIY be dangerous. There are meds you can take to ease the side effects and make it a lot more comfortable. It's much easier to stay sober if you're not physically miserable.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Just in terms of SoberRecovery, I think it would be good for you to post more often. Have you been to any recovery meetings yet?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi smilax

if you're just sitting there gritting your teeth and white knuckled then chances are, yeah, you'll drink again.

Thats not me putting a downer on you.

'White knuckling' makes you tired...you have nothing else to turn to when you're tired ...and you drink. I've done it a hundred times myself.

It doesn;t have to be that way tho

The more things you can think of to do to support your desire to be sober, the better chance you have of staying sober.

The more options you have, besides drinking, the greater the chance you won't drink

Thinking of strategies, of ways to find support, and of other options besides drinking is a recovery plan.

There are some great ideas for recovery plans here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 07-17-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The longer there is between your last drink and the current moment, the less intense and less frequent the cravings will be. So, you've just been through some of the worst ones. If you choose to take a drink now, it's just like feedings and reinforcing your AV (addictive voice) so when you have finished with your day off of sobriety, then you'll be left with dealing with it from day 1 again. Who'd want that???

Yes. We do need to put something in the place of alcohol. That thing is Recovery. Dee's links on making a recovery plan have helped many, many people. Please have a good old read of them and make a plan.

At the moment you are sitting looking at some fairly unpleasant feelings, and feeling like you need to act on them. To DO something about or with them. One of the biggest things I have learned in recovery is that feelings don't need to be acted on. They can be observed, accepted, and they do just float away when you've stopped staring at them. If we hold onto the feeling. Decide it is ourself. Then those feelings can't just float away.

Please don't drink. Take care of yourself. Read the links and make a plan. And be wary of the HALT triggers (Hunger-Anger-Lonely-Tired ) as they make us more susceptible to cravings.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. Thanks for the resources Dee! Trouble is I've never found those kinds of structured plans to be very successful for other things in my life. What I feel I need to do is replace my drinking, and indeed my job right now with some kind of passion. I am very dissatisfied with where I am in life right now I drink because I feel a failure, because I'm a loner and have few friends. The job I do is technically not that difficult and I'm actually fairly good at it, assistant manager at a retail store. But retail is unfulfilling, degrading and far below my hypothetical potential. When I went to school, and into university I was always considered the smart one in the small circles I walked in. I got good grades in even difficult subjects. I had a love for math, psychics and all the sciences and dreamed of getting a job in one of the sciences, or engineering. I also have a love of the arts too however, I am something of a skilled amateur photographer and have thought of trying to go professional though that road is very tough. I don't say this stuff to brag but in an attempt to explain my own personal reasons for drinking. I tried university for years, dropped out over 5 times due to emotional problems despite good grades. Since then I've worked retail jobs off and on for years. Lived with my parents until recently. They continue to financially enable me more than they should. I drink because I feel a failure in life. I know this all must sound like a terrible whiny pity party and indeed it is. But it's not to me personally, factually it might be, but where the emotional rubber meets the road, within myself it's serious despair.

I feel until I take serious steps towards regaining my sense of dignity, until I start working towards one of my passions, that all the recovery plans will fail.

And yet paradoxically I'm somehow too comfortable where I am now to risk taking the steps towards something better. It sounds stupid but the status quo I have now which I guess I could sum up as melancholic resignation, is somehow sadly comforting. At least it is until maybe I hit some king of rock bottom? All it would take is for me to reach out to my friends, start dating, etc and the loneliness would start to fade. All I need to do is sign up for some courses at a local school pointing me in the right direction. Or put together a portfolio of my photography work and shop it around. But no, too scared to actually get better, might as well drink to forget it seems.

Get busy living or get busy dying, to quote Shawshank. I seem hopelessly stuck in the middle.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the resources Dee! Trouble is I've never found those kinds of structured plans to be very successful for other things in my life.
If you read it all through smilax it's very much about you making a plan that is based on what you see as your needs.

Replacing your addiction is a pretty obvious way to go but if you find yourself not able to continue your replacement therapy for any reason - like if you turn to exercise and pull a muscle - you'll be in real trouble.

A recovery plan is about options - things you can do when you're triggered that aren't drinking

D
Old 07-17-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Everyone has a choice to make like you quoted get busy living or get busy dying

Here's the brutal truth, your addicted it might feel like your in the middle now but trust me it's a slippery slope a downward spiral

The only way to stop this is to stop drinking no ifs no buts just a realisation that you don't want to live like this no more

It's up to you but I darn well know that when I was active in my alcoholism my life was in pieces it wasn't a life and I felt like death warmed up every day

That's not a way to live and now just entering my 3rd year sober I am so grateful I done what it took to stay sober it wernt pretty & some days were straight outta hell but you know what things got better

Trust me on that
Old 07-17-2016, 10:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Smilax View Post
I feel until I take serious steps towards regaining my sense of dignity, until I start working towards one of my passions, that all the recovery plans will fail.
I think until you take serious steps towards recovery, you will not find your passion or sense of dignity.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I think until you take serious steps towards recovery, you will not find your passion or sense of dignity.
LOL good point, thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Regardless of your potential, intellectual abilities or your feeling that you deserve a higher status job than retail, drinking and mulling over these things is changing nothing.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I took 12 steps and found exactly that. Passion, diginity, self respect. Time couldn't fix me, but action did.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You are in a catch 22. Can't quit drinking until you recapture your passion and dignity...and can't do that until you quit drinking.

Sadly, you could tread water like this for years. You think you have regrets now? Wait ten more years of drinking, or twenty. I quit when I was 54. Take my advice to heart--quit now. Make sobriety your passion and you will finds lots to feel passionate about.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Trouble is I've never found those kinds of structured plans to be very successful for other things in my life.
How does drinking 5 nights a week rank among the things that propel you to success in other things in your life?

I'm not an AAer, but I could go to an AA meeting every night of the week, read the Big Book in my spare time, work the 12 steps with a sponsor, and still find more success in other areas of my life than if I was drinking 5 nights a week.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You say you don't get hangovers but those feelings you described are some pretty hard effects of alcohol withdrawal and they're only gonna get worse the longer you keep drinking, trust me
Old 07-18-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As I've posted before my drinking has escalated of late from weekend binge drinking to just about every day, about 5 days a week. My weapon of choice is a bottle of red wine plus 1 to 4 tallboy beers a night. I noticed however that I was getting more and more anxious the longer I drank. But I didn't want to stop. I wouldn't get much in the way of a hangover but by 1pm the next day I was feeling withdrawal, anxiety, cold hands and feet, etc. Nothing crazy but hard to take. Possibly because I take Prozac I would feel the withdrawl effects sooner than others I'm not sure.

At any rate I decided that I had to go at least a few days sober till I felt better. Today is my 4th day without drinking and I feel pretty good. But I can also feel that I'm not likely to be able to keep it up. I need something to replace it with.

I have a few question for others too regarding withdrawal side effects. After about the 2nd day I noticed that along with the anxiety I had some other worrying side effects. The first was what seems like an inability to keep my eyes focused on things. Like my focus would go in and out or drift, or even my gaze would wander. And second I would feel a strange type of anxiety in my head, like bees buzzing under the surface of my skull, right behind my eyes. This would go away if I shook my head or squeeze my eyes shut tightly for a second, but it would come back. I say it's anxiety because that's what it feels like but it also feels like something is about to "happen" which is an odd explanation. Can anyone relate to any of the above?

Like I said I don't know how come I could be such a ******** idiot as to want to go back to drinking again given I feel better now and had the above negative effects. But damn it if I almost know for sure that I will drink tomorrow, a day off for me. Feel free to get angry at me. :-(
You've made it 4 days, the worst part (in theory). Commit to a 30 day abstinence, and make no further plans after that. This is what I did, and I'm on day 28 - and I plan to stay sober after the 30 days are up! A consistent string of sober days has given me the gift of clarity and I got out of that weekend rut of binging. I almost was punching the clock on Saturday night to do it.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that if you start by not drinking, you will begin to feel more positive about yourself. That, in turn, will give you the encouragement you need to move into a more fulfilling job and work towards the life you dream of. I think there are two parts to the process and the first one is stopping drinking. The second part is to do things on a daily basis that support your recovery.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, the plan is working towards the dream, or should be.
I don't like "constriction" either, but a plan gives me simply
a quick answer to "I wanna drink now, what can I do right now instead"
and it helps you become aware of your drinking / craving patterns.

Quit for a month--you already have 4 days, and honestly reassess where you are.

Believe me, you won't find your potential at the bottom of a bottle or can.
I wish I'd realized that twenty-five years ago, but even at 50, I am getting
a great deal done towards my dreams of creativity and financial freedom
now that I'm sober.

You can do it if you are ready to really go all in