Notices

Caroline Knapp's book (other recommendations)

Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caroline Knapp's book (other recommendations)

I've been sober for about 5 weeks. I'm happy and not tempted.

I've been reading books on women alcoholics. I loved Hepola's book and I couldn't put it down (it felt like when I was a kid and I couldn't wait to retreat to my room and read). She mentioned Knapp's book. I read Hepola's in a couple of days. I've already invested time into Knapp's book so I'll finish, but I don't find it compelling or very interesting. She refers too much to her family (even outside of how it relates to her and her alcoholism) and she also introduces random people into her narrative. I don't care what Linette, etal did or didn't do. It's distracting.

Anyway, I'm looking for other books on this matter along the lines of Hepola. I'd prefer to read about women for whatever reason.

Thoughts on these books?
Old 07-15-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Disclaimer: I haven't read Hepola's yet. However, I absolutely loved Mary Karr's memoir, "Lit".
Old 07-15-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sure people will add to this thread but FYI there is also a sticky on this topic- lists of books.
Great that you are reading, I find it a nice addition to my recovery toolbox.
I loved both of the books you mention.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Confronting the Bottle
Emma Bushen
Ive read all the women alcoholic books I could get my hands on, this one is one traumatic story! I don't know why it hasn't gotton as much attention as some of the more well known books. Maybe because it's set in England, so has a smaller audience?

Drunk Mom
by Jowita Bydlowska

I found this one good too.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 07-16-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Huge reader here! And my life was very similar to Hepola's when drinking. So glad it is not like that anymore.

Some suggestions:
Drunk Mom- by Jowita Bydlowska
Sober is the New Black by Rachel Black - some AA work, mostly "Secular" work getting sober
The Interventionist by Joani Gammill
Diary of An Alcoholic Housewife by Brenda Wilhemsen (very good read even if you are not a mom- apropos to many 30 something drinkers)
Parched: A Memoir byHeather King
Everything I never Wanted to be by Dina Kucera (a book about family-wide addiction and their journey)
Unwasted- My Lush Sobriety by SachaScoblic

I would also recommend Dry by Augusten Burroughs, and Christopher Kennedy Lawford's Moments of Clarity- this one is a compilation of stories from men and women, famous and not, and their stories of alcoholism and drug abuse.

So many more out there- the book list noted above has lots on it I want to try in my next big go 'round. My psych told me that reading a book is like my own private, mini AA session- totally!