OT: Just Anvil.....

Old 07-15-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Just Anvil.....

so hank decided he wanted to travel to his home town and see his mom and friends and family, coinciding with his BD (tomorrow). AND he wanted to go for a whole week. we've kind of been at loggerheads lately so i cheerfully made his reservations!!

this week was also THE optimal week for ME to take some time off of work before things heat up again - i asked my boss for maybe a couple days and she said why don't you take the whole week??? well, gee, if you INSIST!!! (see how i played that????)

he left last sunday and since then it's been just me.....and the hounds. they had a couple days of confusion and hunger strikes, but now i am the center of their universe. i swear it's like being on maneuvers.....the whole "company" has to go!!! guys, come on, i'm just going to the bathroom, i promise not to climb out the window!!!

there have been some things around the house that i have wanted to do or have done for a long time.....some of them i was sort of waiting for hank to do, others i just never got myself motivated enough TO DO.

for example our spare bedroom, which is really just an extension OF our bedroom (weird house) had also become tool and whatnots storage from when hank remodeled our bathroom 3/4 years ago! i had asked a "few" times if perhaps we could move the tools now??? but he insisted he needed them close as there was still some trim to finish........there is also a tiny hall closet that serves as a coat rack, non-perishable goods pantry and.......more tools storage.

i found this super awesome rolling clothes rack with hooks and shelves and super sturdy and placed that order to arrive AFTER he left.

i also have wanted some type of rod near the laundry, downstairs, so i could hang clothes up down there rather than having my living room look like a dry cleaners......so i found another cool rack system and ordered that! i also wanted to ditch our two rather pathetic plastic laundry baskets downstairs and ordered a wheeled, three section laundry bin that fits under the shelf perfectly.

each of these things arrived on a separate day and they became my Projects. now i should add, a clean organized home makes me VERY happy so these were FUN projects for me. the spare bedroom looks sooooo much better now - the coats are no longer crammed in the small closet so you have to fight them to find the green beans and all the tools are neatly tucked away!!! it doesn't look like a garage anymore!

and my laundry room set up just rocks. i have hung a bunch of shirts up but haven't taken them OFF the rack yet, cuz i'm still so darn pleased with myself.

i did a bunch of yardwork, puttering, tidying, de-cluttering....

also it turns out my TV is NOT defective......if i leave the room it stays ON the same channel?? no electric shocks when i pick up the remote. i can watch WHAT i want, WHEN i want. and if that means a romantic comedy, so be it. i caught the last half of Love Actually and cried like a baby. I watched the dog movie Max and cried. evidently i had some untended emoting to do?!!

i've eaten worse than a bachelor........stouffer's mac n cheese, TWICE! finished off the frozen fish and fries last nite. i'm eyeballing oatmeal or popcorn for later..........there IS one last jimmy dean breakfast sausage biscuit in the freezer.........

it has been SO quiet. well except for the barking.......of all the pets to get, our stupid neighbors got a CAT. and outdoor cat. Bucky thinks all cats are EVIL, so you can imagine how that's going.

i'm learning to fetch. Bucky LOVES for us to THROW the ball, but he just s*cks at RETRIEVE AND RETURN. i managed to round up/find 5 tennis balls, and it usually takes at least two....one your throw, he fetches, then another to throw so he drops the first one. then i have to collect the extras. we've done this a couple hundred times now....he's 10, it's hopeless.

ah speaking OF dogs....since Della the American Bulldog has issues with food, we had to separate their food bowls....hank mounted a wooden shelf thingie with two holes - one for water, which she does not mind sharing and one for her food dish. well over time the side that hold the water bowl has just gotten disgusting....AND hank has SAID many many MANY times he plans to replace it. it finally dawned on me that i will be RETIRED before this ever happens.....

so off to Petco and then PetSmart i go in search of a new free standing dog dish. found my prize. now all i have to do is get the damn wooden thing FREED from the wall! did i mention hank is in masonry and builds things for a living?? i was able with much effort to get two of the screws off, but the other two holding the bracket would not budge. i even found the wireless drill, after some searching, and then realized i know nothing about power tools. with some help from Impurrfect and a google video i got the right bit in, put it in reverse and.......nothing. basically if there was an earthquake, followed by a CAT 5 hurricane, the blasted thing would still be affixed to the wall.

boo. made me very sad. i did NOT want to wait for hank to get back and have HIM do it....that was so NOT the point. i am demonstrating my self-sufficiency. temporarily i just bent the shelf down as the bracket was bendy. found some WD40, that didn't work. cussing at it didn't work. today i went over and just reefed on it up and down thinking maybe the elbow part of the bracket thingie would just give way...and pop it came OFF one of the screws!!!!! a bit more SHE RAH reefing and pop, the other side came off! VICTORY IS MINE!!!

so what if the two stupid screws are still IN the wall, you can't see them for the snappy new dog dish in front of them!

and just a few minutes ago, UPS delivered my final project. i had a crazy thought to paint the front room and then realized that WAS a crazy idea. then i thought about vinyl wall art......which i agonized over before placing the order. 47 pieces of self-adhering removable fun, which will eventually be a tree! now where o where do i PUT it?

this is the longest hank and i have been apart in like forever.....and it's been really REALLY ok. better than ok for me. i have gone on some work trips and got to stay at the Hyatt hotels and enjoy the nice room, big bed and little soaps, but that isn't the same. and a long time since i've had a week off (or more). i have been the Queen of the Castle. the very nice clean tidy shiny castle! and i still have til Sunday at 3pm when his flight arrives! i had to keep counting on my fingers....i have HOW many days??????

wish me luck on the wall art!!!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!😼
Old 07-15-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LOl.....I picture you as one of the Village People....the one with the hard hat....

I have long lived in a community where ;most of the men have been in the trades...and, very successful at their particular trade....
Really--some of the funniest stories that I know are about the domestic skirmishes within their own homes.....between them and their wives regarding deferred improvements.
For example.....I know one woman who decried a dripping shower head for two years!...her husband owned a plumbing business.
We hired him to redo a part of a bathroom.....She came over to our house while he was working in the bathroom....and brought her lunch. She said to him that she wanted to see what it was like when someone got their bathroom fixed......
I was in the hallway...laughing my ring off.....

I though about getting one of those trees. myself, once...but, couldn't make up my mind......

dandylion
Old 07-15-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG, too damn funny. since hank IS in masonry, we drive around and see his work all over the place. he helped build Century Link field where the Hawks play, for example. i have been AT his work sites before, seen him action.....i watched him build our upper deck, by hand, no kit, just a sketched out drawing.....but one simple wooden shelf with two holes in it?????

i have piece #1 on the wall...............
Old 07-15-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
LOl.....I picture you as one of the Village People....the one with the hard hat....
LOL. Thanks to the title, I was picturing hands framing face like "Just Jack" from the show Will and Grace.

Sounds like a productive week, Anvil!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

He sounds like he is uber talented. I think that these guys give it all at work and just don't have any appetite left when they get home......?

He is gonna love what you did with the house when he gets home.....

dandylion
Old 07-15-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with stouffers Mac n cheese twice. Hell, have it every day! Now you have me craving it...
Old 07-15-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

they weren't no lean cuisine size either! lol
Old 07-15-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Loved how you worked in the "hounds" into the story. I have two dogs myself, I sure needed that today .
Old 07-15-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hell, we bought this house so Bucky would have a yard!!! lol
Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like you and the doggies are doing just fine. Enjoy your nice clean place.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ah yes, the beasts from hell.....bucky, the rott/blue heeler mix , 75 pounds and della rose the 125 pound bulldog......we're a chummy crew!
Old 07-16-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like it has really been a fun few days...don't lie now

I hope the crew appreciates their new food and water dishes and Hank will love the wall art once he gets back!!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'd tell you to enjoy the rest of your down time but it seems as if you haven't had any! Lol. I'm exhausted ready your post!!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Anvil.....I feel compelled to share another story with you.. from the world of deferred improvements by spouses in the construction industry....

The wife of this very skilled/experienced spouse in residential construction, had been complaining for a very long time about her l aundry room needs....specifically, the need for more shelving and a very old washer and dryer.
Her husband had finally decided to gift her new shelves and a new washer and dryer for her upcoming birthday! " Praise the Lord", says she..".at last my prayer is being answered!" How excited she was!
After putting up new shelving .....he was off, with his best buddy to pick up the new washer and dryer......
while standing in the laundry room...the shelf, over the washer came tumbling down, spilling cleaning products everywhere and bring chunks of dry wall with it.....
While on a wide toll road, the washer came flying off the back of his pick up truck and bounced off a barrier on the side of the road.....
Upon arriving home...the wife knew something was up...because his buddy refused to come I nto the house....
He announces.."Good news...we have a new dryer!" "What about the washer?", she asks.....
"OH, there have been some shipping problems....but, nothing that can't be fixed", he says......
After she went out to the pick up and interrogated his friend....the guys went to the bar to contemplate their fate...and, she gathered the kids and went to her mothers for the night....

So, Anvil, I hope that you can cut Dear Hank some slack on the little ole feeding shelf.......

dandylion
Old 07-16-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Anvil, what a great post, thanks for sharing! I know what a huge difference it can make to get things moved around so they work well and look good. I'm currently doing a year-long online "clearing" class that is really opening my eyes, both literally and figuratively, to what does and doesn't work for me in my house and yard. It sounds like you've known for some time what needed doing and lacked only the opportunity to actually put your plan into action!

dandy, I think you're right about how guys in the trades simply don't have any more juice to give when they're done w/work and get home. I know my brother (of the infamous shed) was exactly like that, and that is how the shed got so out of control.

And Anvil, I cannot tell you how much I love the name Della Rose for a bulldog! There is a big, beautiful, strong pit bull that I see at the farmer's market w/some regularity, and her name is Lulu. I adore Lulu and have been known to run thru the crowd, yelling Luuuuuuluuuuu! My darling Luuuuuluuuu! to catch up w/her. I'm guessing Della Rose works much the same way...Delllaaaaa Roooose! Dearest Delllaaaa Rooooose!

What a fun thread!
Old 07-16-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh lordy, I am laughing so hard, Bubba wants to know what I am reading....I am not going to tell him or I will make something up. "Anvil told a funny dog story" is my cover.

I would love to comment more but I am busy plotting how to get Bubba to leave for a few days and online shopping for some closet organization shelves...he too is a talented and qualified tradesman who is hopeless around the house. Nuclear size industrial pipe is no problem, kitchen faucets are MY hands off boundary.

Love you, Anvil, I really do. Can't wait to read the update on this. Hugs to the dogs from their Auntie Ann.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ack, stupid Windows 10.....going to try to upload a pic of the wall art one more time! i gave up trying to follow the template and just let my Inner Artist take over....I am personally rather impressed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wall art 2016.jpg (65.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ann - Over Stock Dot Com! just sayin'...........
Old 07-16-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Anvil.....just lovely! Adds just the right amount of interest.....

I love Overstock...use it a lot....

dandylion