Notices

Scared to take a blood text

Old 07-15-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared to take a blood text

I know it sounds crazy but I am absolutely petrified about taking a blood test in a few days. I have been worried about this since I started drinking heavily. I have been drinking for about 6 years. I'm just so fed up.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean. I was scared to look at the results of mine. But I forced myself. I was OK for the liver tests. I had been drinking heavy for years. I was scared, but it is something everybody must face. I hope things go well for you. Even if your results are off, it is never too late to quit.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Foodyfox,

I understand how you feel. My situation was a little different in that I needed to take a blood test after finding our my ex was an IV heroin user/was hanging around with prostitutes. I was so paranoid, I put it off for months, which in turn made me even more anxious (and mad at myself,) but I'm so glad I finally did it. I had no issues on my report and was relieved to have it done with!

Either way, it is better to know than to not. You have a lot of support here, keep coming back.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi FoodyFox try to not think about it but be resilient and do make sure you go it's a super quick procedure & painless

Old 07-15-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Every thing will be ok. Our bodies can heal if we don't drink.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was terrified of going to the doctor for years as well, until I finally said enough and did it, and it became one of my best decisions. I have a good relationship with her now and actually look forward to my checkups instead of complete fear. It's always been to know if something may be wrong in the beginning stages to fix a minor problem, rather than putting it off before things possibly might be too late.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Foodyfox View Post
I know it sounds crazy but I am absolutely petrified about taking a blood test in a few days. I have been worried about this since I started drinking heavily. I have been drinking for about 6 years. I'm just so fed up.
I was scared to death as well. And, I didn't which wasn't good because my body was in decline, severely. This all landed me in the hospital (my failure to act) and then not one test was left underdone--I'm talking blood tests around the clock, MRIs, ultra sounds, swallowing tests, more blood tests, etc.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So much can be learned these days from blood test. Our medical carrier suggest we have at least one per year.

Best to just go with the program.

MM
Old 07-15-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm due for one and haven't gotten it yet due to the same fear. I've been sober for 19 months, so I shouldn't feel this way. I've had one before that turned out "fine" ( those were the doctor's words), amazingly enough.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Don't let it freak you out too much, and definitely don't let it "motivate" you if it comes back normal. If you are on this forum, there is a reason. I wish you the best.