Back to the Bakery for Me

Old 07-15-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to the Bakery for Me

theuncertainty's thread made me think about this, but I don't want to hijack her thread:

I am returning to my old bakery job after a year at a huge laboratory corporation as a courier. The current job has absolutely no soul and the culture of the company is either complete dishonesty or complete confusion, I can't tell which--not sure if the high rate of untrue statements/unmet promises is on purpose or b/c no one has a clue...

When I took the job a year ago, I was delighted--I needed a job w/benefits (bakery job had none) and I had hopes of working as a courier as a while and then perhaps moving up, since it seemed the company encouraged this. A year later, the job bears only a passing resemblance to what I signed the written offer for last June, and there is no way I would ever consider doing anything for them that required me to be more deeply involved w/the company.

My old boss had contacted me twice since the first of this year, saying they now had health insurance, 401k, etc., and he'd like to talk to me. I made polite but noncommittal answers each time. More recently, he emailed me to say he really wanted to talk to me and I could "name my price." Well! That has never happened to me before!

Long story short, we worked out a deal that both are happy with and Monday is my first day back. I know the frustrations and problems I'll be dealing with, and I KNOW I'm going to be struggling at first, since I'm not used to that level of physical work any more. However, I also think they have excellent products (it's a scratch bakery, not frozen crap in a box from Sysco), and I know I can make the place run so much more smoothly in a zillion different ways. They need someone to provide organization and attention to detail for the wholesale delivery team as well as inventory, ordering and other behind-the-scenes work, and I thrive on that.

I have learned that I really, really need to be engaged in my work. I simply cannot handle being a passive onlooker, going thru the motions, no matter how much "easier" it might seem. I'm very grateful that this opportunity arose and grateful that, once again, I left on good terms, having done good work, so that when things changed, someone actually sought me out to ask me to come back.

Have a cinnamon roll on me, everybody!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's excellent!! I am very happy for you.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My dear friend, I am thrilled for you! It feels so good to be wanted professionally, particularly by people you respect.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

awesome!! Good for you!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you!!!! Sounds like they will really value you, that's so important! Congrats!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great news! Congratulations. This is a good testament to leaving jobs on good terms whenever possible.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats honeypig!! So happy for you!!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its such a gift to love what you do and be valued for it! Congrats
Old 07-15-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How exciting for you! This is exactly how recovery is supposed to look. So introspective and honoring your integrity.

I will PM you my address so you can FedEx me some. . .stuff. . .

Well done!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulation, honeypig!!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

honeypig.....I am smiling, because I am thinking of you as one of the Keebler elves.......

dandylion
Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's wonderful HP--sounds like a much more soulful job and
that you and your work are appreciated
Old 07-15-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

bimini, I'll watch for that address!

dandy, I kind of feel like a Keebler elf sometimes, and I think I'd actually really LIKE living in a hollow tree...

Thanks to all for your wishes. I could never have imagined just a few short years ago that I'd be living/feeling/thinking/believing as I am now. I will never cease to be amazed at how recovery really and truly is "in all our affairs."
Old 07-15-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

YAY - I am SO happy for you!!

My neighbor brought me over one of the most beautiful 4 ingredient sourdough rounds I have ever see last night. It was delicious! I have some starter that's been in our family since the 40's and that one pretty round of bread inspired me to bake this weekend and made me so happy last night after a long day...

CONGRATULATIONS - you get to do that for people for a living!!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i thought for sure there was going to be a HARDWARE STORE reference in this post!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS and good luck in your next grand adventures!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

fb, I always felt proud to tell people where I worked when I was at the bakery--almost invariably the response was "wow, their stuff is AWESOME!!" Sure made me feel good.

Anvilhead, I am laughing at your post--it didn't even occur to me that I was making a title that could surely be understood in more than one way!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I read the title of this, I thought it was going to be a metaphoric post about going back to the bakery for bread, instead of to the hardware store....
Is that the saying... or is it milk?
I don't know, but in any case, what a great post!

I'm really happy for you!!!!

Old 07-15-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yay!!!!!! Good for you!! Doing what you love...... The world is yours girlfriend, go get it!!

PS. It's actually a joke in my family how much of a terrible baker I am! Lol. I'm jealous.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How awesome, Honeypig! Congratulations!!