Notices

Feeling more depressed

Old 07-13-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling more depressed

It's been a couple weeks since I stopped drinking and my depression seems to get worse everyday. I never considered myself a depressed person before. Now I tend to look back on how all screwed up my life became because my life had became so centered around drinking. I would binge drink twice a week so I spent 2 days a week being drunk out of my mind, and 2 feeling like a complete hungover piece of crap. Now I just feel like crap everyday. I keep thinking about how screwed up my life has become because of my drinking. I gained a lot of weight over the past 4 years and I always had a lot of pride in my health and how I looked. I got in massive debt. I used to shop a ton when I was drunk. I feel like just woke up and now have to deal with this horrible aftermath. It really sucks. Will I always feel this bad??
Old 07-13-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, it won't always be that bad. The early days are the hardest when we have to stop and really look at the messes we've made and it's so tough. But, there is no way around it, but to go through it. Maybe it would help if you started to make a plan to deal with your debt and to live a more healthy lifestyle. Take things in small steps and try to accomplish something small each day. Congratulations on 2 weeks sober!
Old 07-13-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

No it will not always be so bad. It takes a while before the brain chemistry sorts itself out. One day you will say to yourself, "You know what? Things are getting better."

One thing is for certain if you want things to get worse start drinking again
Old 07-13-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ryry, my emotions were all over the place the first month.

Maybe you can start getting your physical health in order. Exercising helped me with depression. I started to feel better about myself which enabled me to tackle some of the other things that needed attention.

Try not to overwhelm yourself, I was pretty fragile in early recovery.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh for sure surveying the wreckage is hard!

Please be gentle with yourself - I think making the "today I will not drink no matter what" is a good goal for now, and creating a plan for when cravings strike.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more than two weeks to start feeling better. Early recovery can be a bumpy ride. With more sober time your emotions will even out.

Congrats on two weeks sober!

One thing that might help is making a gratitude list. Find at least one thing every day to be grateful for. It helps you to focus on the positive.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
Maybe you can start getting your physical health in order. Exercising helped me with depression.
^^^^^^^^ YES. I can't emphasize enough how much working out a sweat helps lift up the mood. It truly works and makes a major difference. Find a physical exercise you enjoy. This is one of the things that you can definitely control. It's hard to get going, but always worth it.

Well done on the sober time, keep going, it will get better! Give yourself time and be kind to yourself but do know that you are in control of your life now and that's pretty darn amazing.