Notices

Today is day 4,Im feeling edgy...Is this normal?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is day 4,Im feeling edgy...Is this normal?

Good afternoon,My name is Debbie and I am an alcoholic. Today is merly day 4 for myself. Yesterday I felt almost normal,whatever that means,right?! Yet today is a different story. I am very tired and feeling just simply run down ,axtious and irritable. Is this normal ,and what should I be expecting? I am very nervous ,but I have put my foot down,I WILL NOT stop trying. Success is the key. I would love to hear from any of you at anytime. Thank you all and God Bless!
Old 07-13-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We all have different experiences but I would say it is normal to be up and down for a little while. It took me about a month or two to feel better but, like I said, it's different for everyone.

Hang in there and just know that it does get better.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pope on a Rope

Originally Posted by deb85 View Post
Good afternoon,My name is Debbie and I am an alcoholic. Today is merly day 4 for myself. Yesterday I felt almost normal,whatever that means,right?! Yet today is a different story. I am very tired and feeling just simply run down ,axtious and irritable. Is this normal ,and what should I be expecting? I am very nervous ,but I have put my foot down,I WILL NOT stop trying. Success is the key. I would love to hear from any of you at anytime. Thank you all and God Bless!
Run down, irritable and anxious are all normal feelings that you will have. They'll come and go.

Stay strong and remain positive and you will achieve your goal.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MB8

I'm also on day 4 and am feeling similar symptoms. I have been going to meeting each day. They definately have helped. Maybe give it a shot.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you'll find that many people feel "off" for a period of time. Maybe wait until you add a zero to that 4 (as in 40 days) and see how you feel. Wish you the best.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds normal and ok to me! Like others' have said, it's different for everyone- but it's also not, bc the stuff you mention is very common. If you just keep NOT drinking, you will feel better. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie, welcome! What you are feeling sounds very familiar, and normal. Although everyone is different, one thing is certain. The longer you go without drinking, the better you will feel - physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm also day 4 and I'm super anxious and edgy so I'm going to say yes! Probably normal!!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Your body is just starting to miss the alcohol. I used to drink to take the edge off. Not drinking will certainly feel edgy!

Things get different, then they get flat, then you start to live life sober again!!!

Keep moving forward!!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is normal--your body is trying to adjust to no alcohol and learning to
cope without numbing yourself or using drinking to help you sleep, relax, etc.

Be patient and take care of yourself. It will get much better,
but everyone has their own timetable for this.
Staying sober is the key--you can do it Debbie
Old 07-13-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very normal. I always turn into a super mean person on day 3-4. I have only gotten to day 11 ever and it does get a bit better. I am hoping it goes away! I am on day 2 today and i feel edgy already!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

Yes, normal. There are a lot of physical changes in the first couple of weeks for many of us. The edginess definitely gets better. Stick with it -- being sober is great!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Perfectly normal. They refer to this as being 'restless, irritable and discontent ' in the Big Book of AA. I remember it well. Horrible feeling, but will go once you have been sober a while, and have been doing some work on recovery so that you have developed a set of skills to help you feel better without reaching for physical / external solutions for an inner problem.

There are some triggers which set the cravings off and intensify that horrible feeling. You'll start to learn yours (slippery people and places and times or occasions). Ones that are common to us all are the HALT triggers (Hunger-Anger-Lonely-Tired ) and being ill.

Try to take some good deep calming breaths and go for a walk and focus on the experience (what you can see, hear, touch, and smell) . It's pretty hard to exhaust those feelings, or fight them. I found it easier when I accepted them for what they were (a sign I was sober and ready to get better), and remembered that those feelings can't hurt me. (Sometimes I felt they were so strong I might even die). It's fine to acknowledge the feeling but best not to sit there giving it all your attention. If you have a dog, that's always handy. As you care for it, It gets you some GOD going on 2 counts . Great Out Doors, and Good Orderly Direction (some selflessness and routine). We can often do for others (esp animals) what we are unwilling to do for ourselves.

Hope you get a little relief from those feelings today.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 4
Old 07-14-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 4 was always the worst for me as well and that's when the cravings start to come back in full force.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deb85 View Post

day 4 for myself. Yesterday I felt almost normal,whatever that means
Believe me, sounds like things may be smooth for you in no time.

To feel almost normal on day 4 is something
that most drunks sobering up just don't get to experience.

I've sobered up a few different times in my life.
Usually also went very well for me.

But, this last time sobering up was hell for many, many months.
Take what you have and run with it.

Mountainmanbob
Old 07-14-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome.yes,what you are experiencing is usual in the very early days of being sober.So stay calm and know that in a few more weeks you will feel so much better.I am almost 8weeks sober now,after 15years of drinking.This is my 1st and last recovery.Will never go back to using alcohol as a crutch.Stay strong and close to SR.