Notices

keeping things simple

Old 07-12-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

keeping things simple

I read somewhere that overthinking alcoholics are the most dangerous kind. Maybe that means that we are the most prone to relapse and have a million ways to justify it? So starting today I'm going to give myself the gift of keeping things simple. I'm not going to get upset about my lack of productivity at work, I'm on day 17 and I'm sure the brain fog will lift eventually if I am patient. (I didn't expect to have any brain fog since I drank one night a week and even on that night it was for total of two hours! But this mind fogginess shows me how harmful even that kind of binging can be, that my brain has to rewire itself from that) And for any athletes on this forum, please reassure me that my energy will return soon! I am in the middle of crazy intense training and though I am pushing through, I feel like napping in the afternoons when I would usually be working frenetically. So maybe I should just allow myself to nap? Part of my complex overthinking in the past has actually been to ignore exhaustion and keep going instead of allowing myself to rest. Here's my new philosophy (someone shared it on another post here so thank you to whoever it was) that I just need to keep repeating : "I don't drink no matter what and I'm not changing my mind."
And from now on, it really needs to be that simple. I will nap, put my work on hold and do whatever I need to do to do this. Being "present" for my children at the time I usually binge in the past couple of weeks has been an incredible blessing. thank you everyone on here, I haven't been able to get to any meetings so your support has really been getting me through!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The brain fog does lift eventually. Just keep plugging away.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too have been a go getter. Getting things done, cannot stand it when things are not orderly or neat. Early on, I had to let it go. I had to do what I could that day. If I didn't something done it would be there the next day. I had to be as gentle on myself as I could. I was/am still exhausted. Part of my drinking issues were the stress of my always full plate. I had to learn to listen to my body, my mind and go easy on myself. I had to let things go. Some of the things were NOT that pressing or urgent in real life. They were self created deadlines by myself that were pretty unattainable.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Someone told me once to "wear the world like a loose overcoat."
Old 07-12-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In early sobriety, I keep reminding myself that I am recovering from a serious illness. Sure, I could rush it and "suck it up," but I would do so at my own peril, undermining my longer term progress...a marathon, not a sprint, if you will.