Notices

Could use some encouragement please

Old 07-09-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could use some encouragement please

Day 2 and my husband is at our friends house at a party where there is A LOT of drinking going on. I decided to stay home because honestly that's just too hard for me now. I can't shake the feeling that I'm somehow missing out on something as I sit here by myself. Realistically I know I'm really just missing out on making myself sick, setting off the insatiable need for more and more alcohol, a possible blackout, and feeling like death tomorrow both physically and emotionally. I'm trying to stay positive but could really use some reinforcement ...
Old 07-09-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you aren't missing a thing, hon. people drinking too much, getting loud, obnoxious, at least one person ends up puking in the bushes, and MASSIVE hangovers tomorrow. there really IS more to life than that.

besides your addiction now CANCELS out the privilege of ENJOYING alcohol. it wants to OWN you.

pfft, screw that. don't be owned. be FREE!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, what anvil head says. I know what it's like to feel left out but you will be so glad you didn't drink tonight in the AM. Can you find a good book or rent a good movie? Do something for yourself.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tonight you just have to take it one minute, then one hour at a time and tomorrow will be day 3. When you wake up in the morning you'll be so proud you made it through last night. You can do it...... Try to stay busy with anything. Post more here, read a lot here, bake maybe, go for a walk, take yourself out for ice cream!? Just stay busy!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 2 as well and need you to stick with me for the rest of today because I know tomorrow is going to be a great Day 3 for both of us!
Old 07-09-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

There's nothing in it for us anymore, Eliasson. The days of being able to enjoy it are long gone, & they aren't coming back. Plus, as Anvil says - you aren't missing a thing. We can't risk the danger & uncertainty it leads to - stay free. Keep posting & let us know how you are.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so grateful to have people here who understand, and thank you I love the idea of being free.
Optimist I'm staying with you so we can greet Day 3 together.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Eliasson and Optimist - see ya on Day 3.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you go out for a walk? It's a beautiful summer evening here.

You will make it to Day 3!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Elliason, I know its so much easier said than done, but try and get the alcohol "thing" out of your head. For us, its a road to nowhere. Not only the potential regrets of what comes out of our mouths or the way we act, but our health. It kills people. It's a big hurdle to overcome, I get it. When you get over that hurdle, it will become very clear (hopefully).
Old 07-09-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So...blacking out literally means you can't recall a period of time, yet you're missing out when you're NOT drunk? Pure craziness! The only time you're missing out is when you're blacked out or hung over! Trust me. I was a blackout drinker for 12 years, yet every time I tried to stay sober for a night or two I'd wind up in tears because I felt like I was missing out on all the fun. Totally nuts.

In the last few years I've done more and had more fun sober than I did in my 12 years drunk. Just hang in there and I'm sure you'll experience the same for yourself.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Eliasson, Optimist - I hope you both made it. A hangover free Sunday awaits
Old 07-10-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I've realized that even though I'll be able to attend events where there will be alcohol, under no circumstance will I ever attend an event where the total goal for people is to get trashed. What a waste of life!

Eliasson, were you aware that there was going to be a party? What I used to do was to plan things to do so I wasn't at home bored and thinking about what people were doing at the party.

I'm glad you posted and I hope to see you and Optimist posting this morning about how good it is to wake up feeling great.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done for playing the tape forward, and for asking for support. Its all good.

My OH still goes drinking all weekend and returns with very tedious tales of who did and said what, and how bored or peed off he got (but never thinks to stop and come home, as I once didnt).

Have you got any sober friends? Life got better for me when I made a few close sober pals. I've also realised that going to the cinema or the theater alone is a pretty good solitary treat. Or buying a few pamper items and watching something my OH would hate, and generally making the most of having the flat to myself.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You made a fantastic choice, staying home.

That is the kind of choosing and honoring of yourself that will yield results in sobriety and in a rich and joyful life.

You won't always have to make choices to avoid situations where drinking will be happening. It will change over time and you will not feel this 'left out' feeling. But in the early days it is incredibly wise and shows commitment.

Keep it up, you're on the right track.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I fell asleep, early, and woke up hangover free and feeling grateful for that.
Ready for Day 3! Thank you all for your support! ❤️
Old 07-10-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just for today........
I CHOOSE not to drink.
I CHOOSE to be free.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Relieved to hear it, Eliasson. Knew you could.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I fell asleep, early, and woke up hangover free and feeling grateful for that. Ready for Day 3! Thank you all for your support! ❤️
Well done xx