Notices

Keeping up hope

Old 07-08-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping up hope

Hey guys,

It's been a while ... On January 4th, 2016, I finally quit drinking and made it a good solid five months. I was feeling better and better. I didn't have cravings, my health was improving, I felt like the foggy years of daily agonizing hangover-drink-hangover-drink were finally in the rear-view. I was cruising along!

Then on June 2 I inexplicably walked into a pub and you can guess the rest. The whole month down the tubes. Gross, excessive binging every few days interspersed with two to three day hangovers. Now I'm sitting here in anxious terror wondering if I've finally pushed my body over the point of no return healthwise, or if these symptoms are just withdrawal again and will get better in a few days.

On the positive side I am back on day three now. My last drink was Tuesday night.

I am so ready to get my momentum back. Can't believe I lost the last month and put myself back at the beginning again UGH. But I love being sober so whatever happens today I will go to bed tonight sober.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Stay committed Thanos. We've all tried a dozen times, and it can be discouraging to relapse after such a long time sober. But, don't let your relapse diminish that accomplishment--you had it working before, and you can do it again, this time a little bit wiser about staying away from that next binge. Right now it's hour by hour and day by day. Congratulations on day 3.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back and congrats on day 3 Thanos. Hope you can stick around..maybe joining the July thread could help?
Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks username ! I am definitely just focusing on hour by hour today, and it's helping with the anxiety. I appreciate the kind words of encouragement.

Thanks Scott, I will jump over to the July thread to participate.

Also, I am checking out a lunchtime meeting in my area. I never really gave it a fair shake, but I have to use all the tools in the arsenal.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Thanos!

You can do this again and good job on Day 3! Do you know what was happening in your life and your mind when you walked into the pub?
Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry this happend but I'm glad you're back in the saddle! I've done the same!

I will be never be cured of my drinking problem, however I can manage it by being involved with SR as well as AA every day!

I have to spend a few hours each day and take my medicine, chatting with my online friends and attending meetings daily. it's a very small price for me to pay for the gift of soberity!!

Wishing you the best!!
Old 07-08-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

On a lighter note, how's the search for the Infinity Stones going?
Old 07-08-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anna, I am not sure how my mind switched over so suddenly. It's sort of scary because it was so out of the blue. I had been under a tremendous amount of stress at work ... and I didn't eat that entire day due to deadlines. I suppose HALT would have helped. I should have just had a sandwich haha !

Thanks Dave for the well-wishes. I will be posting more regularly as part of my own daily dose.

Username, I actually have never read those comics haha ... I chose the name "Thanos" because when I write my signature really quickly it sort of looks like that even though my full name is much longer. So I chose that name and the avatar to go with it ...
Old 07-08-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your honesty, Thanos, and good for you on starting over. It's not easy, I know.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Thanos,

It's great to see you here. Hey have you read anything about the 'pink cloud' syndrome? I've only just heard about it through this site in the last two days and now I'm reading as much about it, and ways to combat it, as I can. I've recognised that my six/ten month sober stints have been spent largely in that cloud and it was a bit inevitable that I was going to crash again. Might be worth doing a little research and seeing if any of it fits with your situation, it's helping me immensely.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Pixus, that certainly seems to fit the bill. I'll look that up and also tips to stay on guard ...
Old 07-08-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Hey guys,

It's been a while ... On January 4th, 2016, I finally quit drinking and made it a good solid five months. I was feeling better and better. I didn't have cravings, my health was improving, I felt like the foggy years of daily agonizing hangover-drink-hangover-drink were finally in the rear-view. I was cruising along!

Then on June 2 I inexplicably walked into a pub and you can guess the rest. The whole month down the tubes. Gross, excessive binging every few days interspersed with two to three day hangovers. Now I'm sitting here in anxious terror wondering if I've finally pushed my body over the point of no return healthwise, or if these symptoms are just withdrawal again and will get better in a few days.

On the positive side I am back on day three now. My last drink was Tuesday night.

I am so ready to get my momentum back. Can't believe I lost the last month and put myself back at the beginning again UGH. But I love being sober so whatever happens today I will go to bed tonight sober.
Thanos, I don't know if you've seen any of my posts, but I too have quit quite a few times. I'm currently on day 1 and experiencing the worst anxiety I've ever experienced on day 1. It typically lasts a few days for me so while I'm not looking forward to day 2 or day 3, I'm optimistic they won't be worse than today. Stick with it and may you have happy, sober dreams!
Old 07-08-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Thanos
Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great to hear you're back to quitting. Don't give up, you've seen the amazing benefits this brings to your life.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Really glad you are back, Thanos. I did the same thing a few times. You will do this.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, it is really encouraging! But I am at ER with very high fever and some abdominal discomfort. Hopefully it is something that can be fixed
Old 07-08-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hi Thanos,

hope you get the stuff sorted that took you to the ER.

"inexplicably"...you say. yes. i could never satisfactorily explain it to myself, either. not for lack of trying.
this is why in some circles it is referred to as "cunning, baffling, powerful".

stunned me, to find myself doing such irrational stuff in spite of decisions to the contrary.

stick around.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Take care..... Wishing you all the best right now.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your back & committing to sobriety Thanos!
Old 07-08-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

HibThanos,

I'm glad you are back, and sorry to hear you are in the ER. Please let us know how you are doing.