Notices

Day 3 the worst?

Old 07-08-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 the worst?

I relapsed earlier this summer, and went back to even high amounts. I am detoxing at home with medical supervision.

Many say that Day 3 is the worst. Others say that at that time, withdrawal symptoms seem to subside.

In past detoxes, I felt better on that day. Not this time.

I am wondering if others would share their experiences.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Should mention that I am on day 2, and feel shakes today. Didn't yesterday, but I was taking the ativan prescribed on schedule.

I just miss when Day 3 came, and my body had evened out and I felt great. Would hope that for some this was the case. Seems the opposite is true for others.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 3 the negative physical effects that I feel start declining. Day 5 is when the negative emotional effects start declining. This is me.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

With kindling, where the withdrawals get more horrific with each relapse and return to sobriety, it's hard to pin down a "worst" day. The whole thing is worse. Period.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

In the end I was a binger, drinking 2 to 3 days a week.

I felt flu like symptoms for about 4 days typically.

Then I would relapse.

When I finally quit past about 2 weeks, my anxiety ramped up big time.

Releapse.

Quit past a month, relapse.

Quit for good now. 14 months.

At 80 days clean I thought I was losing my mind. Found SR. SR saved my life.

No meds here. Anxiety was horrid for 6 months, began to quell.

Now it is Situation driven.

For example, under certain driving situations, anxiety. When I was in a crowd, at altitude in Mexico Intl. Ap, axiety. Had to sit down. Etc.

So...stay clean is the moral no relapse. No withdrawals. God help me.

Thank God.

Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keeppushing View Post
Day 3 the negative physical effects that I feel start declining. Day 5 is when the negative emotional effects start declining. This is me.
Thank you. I have a big day on Monday, which will be the morning of Day 5. I need most of the physical symptoms to be gone by then. I can handle the anxiety. I am a pro at that. :-)
Old 07-08-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I echo what Carl said, if you are experiencing kindling, that timeline will change, and usually it changes to "longer" than the last time. Hang in there, glad you have someone with you.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
With kindling, where the withdrawals get more horrific with each relapse and return to sobriety, it's hard to pin down a "worst" day. The whole thing is worse. Period.
Completely accurate. And I have spent so much time researching kindling, so was aware of that. Hell, it is even hard to type with my hands in this shape.

Had coffee for the first time in three months, so this might be attributable as well.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 4 was the worst for me, physically, even though I had been reducing my intake for several months prior AND I was a one beer and 2/3 of a bottle of wine a night drinker at my worst.

It was a wake-up call, for sure. Damage was happening, no matter how healthily I ate or how much I ran or my weight on the scale. Poison is poison and it's cumulative.

Good for you...once you get through this, it will get easier. I'm over six months now and I can honestly say I rarely have a craving anymore.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post

I felt flu like symptoms for about 4 days typically.

Then I would relapse.

When I finally quit past about 2 weeks, my anxiety ramped up big time.

Releapse.

Quit past a month, relapse.

Quit for good now. 14 months.

For example, under certain driving situations, anxiety. When I was in a crowd, at altitude in Mexico Intl. Ap, axiety. Had to sit down. Etc.

Thank God.

Absolutely agree
Old 07-08-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post

Thank God.

D122y, I feel your pain as anxiety is my trigger as well. And it appears when I'm driving, plans change, I never know what will trigger it.

I did discover cutting back on caffeine helped me tremendously. The anxiety isn't totally gone but it's more manageable. My last binge wasn't even anxiety related, it was due to not having a plan, which I am working on. Wish I could be more help but hope you can manage yours soon.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
Completely accurate. And I have spent so much time researching kindling, so was aware of that. Hell, it is even hard to type with my hands in this shape.

Had coffee for the first time in three months, so this might be attributable as well.
I certainly do not want to tell you what to do, but avoiding anything that give you an energy "boost" I would avoid. I compared withdrawing and kindling like I had both lightning bolts and shattered glass going through my body and brain. I did everything in my power to remain calm.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's odd... you say you have spent "so much time researching kindling," and yet you still seem to be clinging to the notion that you can predict your withdrawal severity and duration based on past experience, or even less pertinently, other people's experience.

The very definition of kindling is that successive withdrawals are unpredictable and can get suddenly and markedly worse. And there's no chart or timetable that says, "Well, this is my 7th detox so the withdrawal symptoms will last exactly 5 days and 11 hours." It doesn't work like that.

The only way to ensure you don't suffer worse or longer-lasting withdrawal symptoms in the future is to make this detox your final one.

Hope your symptoms abate in time for your big day coming up. I agree with others that avoiding caffeine will help with the anxiety and shaking.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have also found kindling very unpredictable.
Anxiety took several days longer the last time I quit to abate,
but since I've quit for good, it has gone away.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi. I found day 3 very hard aswell. I relapsed at day 9 and still not on the wagon. Keep going. Believe or not I'm jealous of where you are now and looking forward to my crappie day 3 again because at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel when we are counting days.. hang in there .
Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
I relapsed earlier this summer, and went back to even high amounts. I am detoxing at home with medical supervision.

Many say that Day 3 is the worst. Others say that at that time, withdrawal symptoms seem to subside.

In past detoxes, I felt better on that day. Not this time.

I am wondering if others would share their experiences.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back C4G

D
Old 07-10-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
It's odd... you say you have spent "so much time researching kindling," and yet you still seem to be clinging to the notion that you can predict your withdrawal severity and duration based on past experience, or even less pertinently, other people's experience.

The very definition of kindling is that successive withdrawals are unpredictable and can get suddenly and markedly worse. And there's no chart or timetable that says, "Well, this is my 7th detox so the withdrawal symptoms will last exactly 5 days and 11 hours." It doesn't work like that.

The only way to ensure you don't suffer worse or longer-lasting withdrawal symptoms in the future is to make this detox your final one.

Hope your symptoms abate in time for your big day coming up. I agree with others that avoiding caffeine will help with the anxiety and shaking.
Maybe I am a bit prickly, but I am not clinging to any notion. Nor was I presuming that my experience would be like others. I was/am under no illusions that I can predict how this will turn out.

I was simply asking about other people's experience. If anything, my post could be a testament to others about how kindling works.

Thanks for your feedback nonetheless, and I say that without any snark intended.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry if I misread the intent of your post. Asking about other people's experiences just to feel some strength in numbers when suffering from withdrawal is one thing; using their responses as a kind of barometer to measure or predict your own experience is another.

How are you feeling today?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Last time in April day 3 was the worst and things started to subside after that. This time day 4 and 5 were the worst days in terms of emotions and symptoms. I was also extremely sleep deprived and still rather malnourished though so that probably didn't help.

Either way it gets worse every time for me. That I am certain of.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Sorry if I misread the intent of your post. Asking about other people's experiences just to feel some strength in numbers when suffering from withdrawal is one thing; using their responses as a kind of barometer to measure or predict your own experience is another.

How are you feeling today?
I feel pretty amazing today. Swam laps outdoors and ate a huge brunch afterwards. I slept for 10 hours last night so that helped.