Notices

Reading the 'Friends & Families of Alcoholics' section.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading the 'Friends & Families of Alcoholics' section.

I've been on SR pretty much constantly the past two days. Im in a different time zone from most users though, so I end up spending a fair bit of time looking over old posts as I wait for things to liven up again. Today I started reading the 'Friends & Families of Alcoholics' section. I've been avoiding that one because I was worried it would leave me a little teary, emotional and lets face it, guilty.

What I wasn't prepared for was the intense rage I started to feel towards the alcoholics and addicts that these people have been dealing with. How easy it's been for me to hate these fellow addicts once I read how they're affecting others! The disproportionate amount of rage and disgust I was feeling was a bit strange and over the top given the circumstances and that made me suspicious. It quickly made me realise I actually hated the mirror these posts were holding up to me.

I guess it's that classic thing of fixating and disliking the exact same behaviours in others, that you actually hate in yourself. Those 'awful, manipulative addicts' are me.