Notices

Drinking Dreams

Old 07-06-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Dreams

Drinking dreams are so upsetting! Everyone has them, at one time or another it seems.
For some, they start up right after quitting. For me, I didn't have my first drinking dream until I was about 6 months sober. In my dreams, I only have that one glass of wine, but it was still a slip and I'd be upset with myself. Waking up is always a relief.

I'm going to a wedding at the end of the month and it concerns me a bit. Already thinking of how to refuse champagne and still toast the bride and groom. I think my concern is creeping into my dreams.

Today I am 8 months sober. Last night, I dreamt I was a at a large dinner party where wine was served. Even though I refused, I ended up with a glass. But lo and behold, the glass stayed untouched throughout the whole meal.

I woke up with a smile on my face and gave myself a pat on the back.

I have so totally got this!

Happy sobriety, Everyone!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

I hear you about the relief of waking up from a drinking dream!!

I just went to my nephew's wedding and, although alcohol was there, it wasn't pushed. There were lots of non alcohol options available.

When I read your post it just occurred to me that I didn't have to repeatedly say "no thank you"! I just shook my head at the server's and kept a bottle of water nearby. It really does seem to be true, the obvious over drinkers were far and few between, they weren't the norm.

And I realized that I would have been the obvious over drinker a year and a half ago

I hope your experience is as easy!
Old 07-06-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope it didn't mess with you too much x
Old 07-06-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 8 months lynnmarie!

Dreams fade but recovery is real

D
Old 07-06-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG you just reminded me I have had one! At first when I started reading your post, I though "huh, maybe I will around 6 months too" then...

I had a stunning one, as in it stunned me awake and I desperately thought it was true for a few seconds. I dreamt that I had gotten drunk - don't really remember the details - but it must have included typical things like a glass of half-drunk vodka on the coffee table and food ordered and not eaten while drunk...because I woke up and actually went to the kitchen/living area - afraid I would see something like a bottle on the counter and a pizza box - and was beside myself with relief that everything was just fine, as I had left it (soberly) the night before. Oh my gosh, the feeling of relief!!!
Old 07-06-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

I still have drinking dreams. Recently I've had a few episodes of very strange drinking dreams in which I'm head-spinningly drunk. And really, in my dream, my head's spinning. I didn't even know a person could be dizzy in their dreams. It's beyond icky!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I still have drinking dreams. Recently I've had a few episodes of very strange drinking dreams in which I'm head-spinningly drunk. And really, in my dream, my head's spinning. I didn't even know a person could be dizzy in their dreams. It's beyond icky!
I know what you mean! Sometimes I'll have a dream where I swear I can taste and smell foods that I'm eating. It seems so real. I'll also dream that I'm speaking in a foreign language and it all seems to make sense but then when I wake up I can't remember what I was saying in the dream and it was all gibberish.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Speak of the devil. Woke up this morning mid dream that I was pouring em down. After waking spent what felt like an hour (probably less than one minute) telling myself it was just a dream. Had a minor panic attack which is rare for me. Nothing would derail me faster than drinking right now. There was no more going back to bed after it.