Notices

isolation

Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

isolation

I've brought this subject up before and am probably sounding like a broken record, but just had to get this off my chest. It always feels better putting stuff out there.
Saw my doctor today for a regular checkup. He expressed his concern about me being so isolated during the summer. He knows I don't work during the summer, so have plenty of time on my hands. Even though I manage to stay pretty busy between AA meetings and the gym, I still have a lot more time on my hands.
My doctor knows my history what has happened when my structure is gone and no way to fill it. It's never good. He gave me a few ideas on what I could do to help with this, and I'll look into them.
Anyway, after leaving his office, it really hit me how isolated I really am. It kinda brought it to the surface. All of a sudden, my world seemed really small and I felt like I am trapped in it.
So, I'll look into his suggestions and hope that helps. John
Old 07-05-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're looking to ease out your isolation, John. Since you have time on your hands, have you considered volunteering in your community? It's a great way to give back and to meet new people.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Catch 22

It's not easy to just jump out of isolation. Also perhaps not wise. I find great comfort and enjoyment in reading.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you a more solitary person by nature? I think I am. Most of my social outlet lately is in AA meetings and through work.

If you have the time over the summer, maybe take some classes? I always want to take a pottery class. Or metal working class. But they are all in the morning when I'm at work.

But I think the main thing you're having trouble with is the feeling of your world shrinking? That can be scary when you start examining your life very closely. I sometimes feel the same when I realize how old I am and what choices I've made. We can each do something about the choices we make from now on. If you have always tended to isolate, maybe you're too comfortable? I guess it depends on how well your doctor knows you. Sounds like he knows you and has your interests at heart.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anna's suggestion is excellent volunteering helped me give back when I first got sober
Old 07-05-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The suggestions to volunteer or to take a class sound very good to me, John.

I like that you are still pursuing AA and going to the gym; they sound like good outlets also.