Sobriety...again

Old 07-05-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety...again

Hello everyone. I had a name on here years ago but decided to make a new one for privacy purposes. I'm the wife of an alcoholic who is currently in recovery again. Well, I can not say he is in recovery because he isn't in any program. He just started counseling last week but he does not go to any meetings.

Anyway, this is his 5th attempt or so (maybe more, maybe less) at becoming sober from alcohol. He got sober from alcohol and drugs and then nearly 4 years later decided a beer wouldn't hurt and most of us know how that goes.

So anyway, he is a little over a month sober now. I'm hoping he starts attending meetings but I know from past experience that I can not force him to do so. We do have a bit of a co dependent relationship. There are several reasons that I can not attend AL Anon. Trust me I want to very badly but I can not do so unless the meeting is online. I guess that'll be better than nothing.

But here I am once again. Just really feel that this place can help me as it did once before. He's been very very giddy and in a wonderful mood lately and while I'm so thankful he is, part of me wonders if he hasn't possible replaced his alcoholism with some other substance. I feel horrible saying that but he acts like he did when he was abusing pain pills years ago. I've read it could be the honeymoon phase but I don't know..again I know it isn't my disease but still..I love him and I care and just worry.

I will be back later on but wanted to post this. I hope everyone has a good day.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you made your way back to SR, wifeofrah. Your own recovery is not dependent on his, and I hope you find support and hope for yourself here.

Wishing you strength and clarity in the days to come.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and glad you are here. SR is helpful in any situation in my opinion!

I would just say that more will be revealed. Until then, any support you can reach out to for yourself would be a great thing.

Glad you are here!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I just want to say that I totally understand how you are feeling. I'm in a similar situation. My AH had about 3 years sober before slipping and ultimately relapsing (now, the second time in 7 months.) I so understand the ups and downs and constantly feeling as if you are always on guard, wondering if he did, if he didn't, if he can stop, etc. etc.. My AH has been through treatment, he is active in AA, has a great sponsor, and yet still this creeps up on him. I also can't get to live meetings and have been relying on a lot of strength and hope from these boards which have been amazing. I do hope that you can find some peace and release from the worry. I have found a lot of comfort and common sense in these forums. There are really good people here who totally get it, and that in itself means so much.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He's been very very giddy and in a wonderful mood lately and while I'm so thankful he is, part of me wonders if he hasn't possible replaced his alcoholism with some other substance. I feel horrible saying that but he acts like he did when he was abusing pain pills years ago.
Trust your gut!!!!

And remember................history doesn't repeat itself - people repeat history.