Notices

Can someone help me get through today

Old 07-04-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can someone help me get through today

Hi

Can someone please just give me a simple list of just how to get through today without a drink...just today...I cannot think past today, I will worry about tomorrow tomorrow. .my head is so foggy that I cant think straight but if I have a simple list I will just go do them and try not to think about anything else...

Have been drinking for about ten years, stopped last year when I got pregnant but started again practically as soon as I came home from hospital 16 weeks ago, drinking every day since.. I am disgusted with myself that I am back here again..every day I feel that death is getting closer. I get palpations and feelings of shortness of breath now that I never felt before..im so tired of feeling like this..I want to get better..but even now as I write this I want a drink..

Please help me x
Old 07-04-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First, if you have booze in the house, dump it. No excuses.

Second, figure out six other things to do during the time of day you normally drink--go for a walk, bake cookies, take a bath, etc.--and write them down.

Third, stock up on other, healthier liquids. Coconut water, seltzer, juices. Also try to eat lots of protein and raw vegetables and fruit at frequent intervals. Low blood sugar makes cravings worse.

Fourth, if you think you'll cave and go out for booze, have someone you trust hold your wallet and keys.

The first few days are the toughest. If you start to feel really physically bad, call 911 or go to the ER. Depending on your level of addiction, withdrawal can be life-threatening, so don't fool around.

And stick around here...I pretty much lived here the first few months and some weeks I still do. It's a terrific source of support.

You.can.do.this.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Elisha the best way is to take it by breath by breath heartbeat by heartbeat keep posting here interacting with others take it by the min take it by the hour

Have you tried Urgesurfing?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 07-04-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Elisha

I got through the first days by posting and reading here as much as I could. Every one wants to help - and you'll find a lot of support.,

Soberwolf's links are very helpful, as are Aries tips

Why not check out our Class of July support thread as well - it's for everyone who's quitting this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-1-a-4.html

D
Old 07-04-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA meetings were very helpful for me in the beginning.
I knew that these people were drunks such as myself, yet they were sober and staying sober.

It's good to get outside and get fresh air (taking some very deep breaths).

A nice sober day wished for all,
M-Bob
Old 07-04-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I should add, if you're feeling short of breath and your heart is going funny it's probably best to see a Dr just to be safe and sure

is there anyone there who can look after the baby?

D
Old 07-04-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great list above as well as the other suggestions.

I don't know what you think about AA or all that but I do know that here, groups often do a big "thing" on holidays. There is a cookout after the noon meeting and it is hugely attended- everyone seems to come and it is fun. Perhaps you can google and find the bigger clubhouses in your area and give it a try. You are early in the day for finding things to do!

Also- I still use the phrases "send myself home" and "put myself to bed" - these to get me out of situations that are starting to overwhelm me, whatever they are. I didn't see people besides my parents in the beginning. Naps were my best friend besides not drinking. Going to bed early - there will be fireworks next year! - a great idea.

Good luck - remember, you just don't have to drink for TODAY.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, keep reading all the content on here as everyone said, I find distraction on the first few days is the key plan to do something different or get out for a walk or watch a new TV programme or start a book... and there will always be someone to talk to here! good luck! x
Old 07-04-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do you have friends, family or doctors who are supporting you? Any chance you are self medicating for post part depression on top of being an alcoholic? Is your baby safe?
In the first couple of weeks your only job is to not drink. Curl in the fetal position and let time pass if you must but don't drink. Watch TV. Stay in bed.

Sober support helps a lot - on line if that is all you can bear, or just go to a meeting and listen. They won't bite. If your insurance accepts it, a formal treatment program is the easiest way to become sober. Telling family or friends you trust is also important - if you are hiding it it may be out of shame but also so you can "leave the door open" to drink again.

There are many paths to sobriety and many who have gotten there. It is hard work.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How are you doing Elisha? Please call for help of you need it, your baby needs a sober mom and you need a sober you.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Elisha, from a health standpoint, as others have mentioned, don't hesitate to seek medical attention if you feel in danger. Otherwise use the tips provided to you. First days are hard, second days are usually harder. I wish you the very best and keep us posted.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Read the suggestions, I can't add any. I can say that you must Actually do some of them. If you do it will make getting through a day much easier...easier to the point where you Will make it.