Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When people talk about alcohol's numbing effect, what about when not drinking?

Notices

Old 07-01-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've just been thinking that normally when we talk about drinking to numb ones self I am thinking about the acute period when one is drunk. The few hours when you are actually drunk and high. But it occured to me that even when I'm not drinking, the next day I'm in a hazy numbish fog. I'm not drunk then but feel like I'm walking through a haze, like post sedation. There is also quite a lot of full body anxiety associated with this feelking too though. I never really thought of this as also being a numb state but I'm guessing this is also very much part of it?
Old 07-01-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The full body anxiety is probably detox?
Old 07-01-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perhaps although I feel that the very next day when not drinking. And I don't drink that much compared to many. I think in my case it could also be exacerbated or made worse by the fact that I take anti depressant / anxiety medication. I think the alcohol interferes with it's functioning and that some of the anxiety I feel is withdrawal from those meds. Yes I know mixing the 2 is not smart.

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
The full body anxiety is probably detox?
Old 07-01-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I would not mix the two - at best the anti depression meds will not work - at worst you may be putting yourself in danger?

D
Old 07-01-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

for me, it also "worked" in that i simply didn't need to really "deal" with what was going on at the moment because i knew that i'd drink later.
in that way, it resulted in a not-being-present to what was actually happening, how i was feeling, how others were feeling, ...because my escape plan was always in place.
so i never really stayed in/with where i was really at.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is my opinion that when actively drinking, an addict has tunnel vision. The primary focus is on the alcohol. Whether it be the drunken period or the haze that follows....looking or waiting for the next drunken period. My 2 cents.