Notices

The illusion of greatness

Old 07-01-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The illusion of greatness

Not sure anyone will find this thread particularly helpful, but I thought I put it out there as food for thought. For folks that follow sports we have heard a lot regarding the downfall of Johnny Manziel in the last year. Heisman Trophy winner, professional football player...athlete.

I can tell you first hand that elite and professional athletes are some of the biggest addicts you will find. And for many, its the last thing you'd think. When I was competing at the highest levels and spending many hours in the gym, I saw and hung out with professional athletes a fair amount. We/they present the illusion of the epitome of health, talent, dedication and greatness. Well, when they are not on the field or in the stadium, many of them like to party...a lot. Alcohol, cocaine, ecstasy, marijuana and of course painkillers. At first it blew my mind, and then I found out over time that is was the norm. Sure, just like anything there were many highly dedicated guys that did things by the book. But I am of the opinion that most abused their bodies inside and out. Of course the temptation is even greater because they usually don't pay for a damn thing. They have no habit to support, its free. Not sure I have much of a point other than no one is immune to the destructiveness of addiction.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Addiction is equal opportunity. There are addicts in all walks of life.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear what you're saying, but I hope you won't try to 'normalize' addiction.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Guys Lady Security for 25 years here.. from Foot ball to Baseball to golf and lots of others.. saw it all .. back in the 1980's... as a Mom it was hard to watch the amount of pain they were under.. but then 2 hours later shoot up rubbed and taped they were ready for a hard night of drinking and party party party ... next morning I was watching a bunch of sorry butt mistakes wander in to be rubbed and shot up with stuff to have them march out as prime bits of beef in the best of health... ever see the movie The Last Boy Scout with Bruce Willis this is not pretend.. nope... I saw a bunch.. yep.. had them lean on me and a couple of times go into tears.. they were safe.. as with Mom.. but guys there was one day that I wanted to go in there and kick the **** out of a bunch of people ... just knew this was not good.. most of those kids and men were good people from nice families that tried so hard.. Heros that is the man that says no to it all. https://youtu.be/VVrsGHs2MCk
Old 07-01-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always wonder how they can do that and then run for 800 yards the next day. Crazy.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it takes an extreme personality, in many cases, to go through what some athletes do. I've known several triathletes (not pros or anything) that were all major partiers....including my late husband.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
I always wonder how they can do that and then run for 800 yards the next day. Crazy.
Often times its because they are druggies. Recreational drugs to relieve the stress and pressure. Performance drugs to earn the paycheck. Regarding endurance athletes....look into EPO. A well known tour de france cyclist used to take a helicopter and hover overhead while doing blood replacement/transfusions during the tour de france.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I think it takes an extreme personality, in many cases, to go through what some athletes do. I've known several triathletes (not pros or anything) that were all major partiers....including my late husband.
That is where I personally got extremely sideways (earlier) in my life.