Notices

All I want to do is sleep

Old 06-30-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All I want to do is sleep

I've never been so exhausted after coming off the alcohol. Maybe its because I've totally stuffed up my body and are feeling the aftereffects. The pains have died down but the anxiety is killing me. I can't even deal with my boyfriend, now I'm off the alcohol, he comes across as abusive, critical and downright horrible. I'm planning on telling him we need time apart. He seems to be a trigger for cravings. I don't know what I've done to myself but I'm just not bouncing back this time. I'm turning 49 in a few days so maybe its an age thing. It would be nice to hear from people who have managed to get through this. I'm wrestling with feelings that its too late for me to recover.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No! It's never too late! I'm 55 and I managed to finally quit after 25 years of drinking.
I will be celebrating 8 months of sobriety on July 4th. That is an amazing statement for I never thought I could do it. I had just finally had enough.
It was very hard in the beginning on many levels and I went through a stage where I couldn't keep my eyes open during the day and had insomnia at night. But things are SO much better now. You just have to stop and stop for good.
It's never too late to improve your life.
You can do it.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not too late for you to recover, but I do believe it gets harder both physically and emotionally to bounce back. I really felt that it was my last chance when I stopped drinking. I could not go through any of it again.

It may be that you were able to overlook your boyfriend's abusive behaviour when you were drinking, but in sobriety you see it for what it is. Abuse of any kind is not okay, ever.

Try to be patient and kind with yourself and you can get through this.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Never too late to recover friend!

That's the ole AV talkin' trying to tell ya it's too late don't bother...
Old 06-30-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear that it is never too late. It probably is the AV saying that. I hadn't thought of that. Sober at 55 is amazing, that gives me great encouragement. As for my BF I was sober before I met him and had 2 friends in Australia who I met on another forum. They both ditched me because of him; one he actually rang and went off at her. So I'm thinking he is a major problem but not sure what to do.