Notices

Day 1 blues

Old 06-30-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 blues

I guess today is day one..... Woo fn hoo...... The depression has already started.... Can u believe it..... That quick.... But I guess it was already there cause of course I'm an addicted and I'm sure that's just one piece that I'm trying to numb..... It only took 5 hrs b4 my optimism was was crushed..... A reminder of what my addiction has cost..... Consequences..... Reminders that every time I try I fail... Every drunken fight..... Every~ I'm always right snip~ It.... . I'm terrible.... I'm a mean and terrible person...... But only when I'm drinking....Is it possible to repair years of drinkers remorse.... Is it ever gonna be ok again..... Am I ever gonna cry tears of happiness again... Instead of pain.... Idk.. .. But sad thing is...... The only way I know how to Let it go.... Let's drink and get high.... So now what.............................................. ....
Old 06-30-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, dmac!

The feelings of doom are a common consequence of alcohol withdrawal. While a few days sober will make those feelings subside, drinking again will only make them return with a vengeance.

Stick with us--we can help. Read around and post often!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 1 sucks....not as much as day zero though. Doesn't sound like this is your first rodeo. It gets better, pretty fast really. I'm on day 56. Much better than the day 1 when I was puking my guts out in front of 4 firemen (hot firemen I might add....ugh). But even now, I find myself looking back and thinking 'oh lord the things I've done....'. Could be stuff from years ago.....so much regret. But there's so much hope in each day that I'm sober.

You can do this.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

The addiction's "job" is to not let You break the cycle of returning to getting intoxicated for reason a , reason b, reason c ,ect( all those reasons are being supplied and accentuated by the addiction trying to keep the cycle going).
The good news is You get to make new rules , rules like No Matter What(rule number 1) and that for now you are allowed to not worry about anything else except rule 1, anything that tries to make rule 1 less than the Most important thing is the addiction striving to keep the cycle in place. The more times you dismiss thoughts that work against rule 1, the further you will be in having ended the cycle, it's extremely difficult , especially the first week or so, but it's doable and needs to be done, more good news: You Can Do It, fight for it , You deserve it.
Rooting for ya
Old 06-30-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep on truckin. I hate day ones. The anxiety and dread are horrible. Get through it. Tomorrow will be so much better. You know this. You can do it.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For every person in sobriety it started with day 1. There are no shortcuts. Stay close to this forum and try to learn as much as possible from the smart ones that are here.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

coming here was a great start dmac - you'll find support and encouragement here.

what now? you stay sober, work hard and you'll get yourself and your life back

D
Old 06-30-2016, 11:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Dmac
Old 07-01-2016, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm at day 56 as well. I deal with the results of my drinking every single day. I'm still waiting for things to get better. Working the steps and trying to live them are easier said than done.

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Day 1 sucks....not as much as day zero though. Doesn't sound like this is your first rodeo. It gets better, pretty fast really. I'm on day 56. Much better than the day 1 when I was puking my guts out in front of 4 firemen (hot firemen I might add....ugh). But even now, I find myself looking back and thinking 'oh lord the things I've done....'. Could be stuff from years ago.....so much regret. But there's so much hope in each day that I'm sober.

You can do this.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dmac. This is a great place to be.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, dmac20. Drinking is not the answer--give yourself some good sober time and you'll be amazed at the results. I know I have been.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dmac20 View Post
So now what.............................................. ....
Now what is don't drink!

Day 1- awesome!!!

If you keep going, you will feel better; you will also struggle. Just this morning, I had thoughts of "oh my God, I remember [ specific thing]" and had to reign my thoughts back in from going to a place of self-pity, etc (are you trying AA?? There are pgs like 85-88 of the BB that specifically address these feelings and what to do with them).

My point is- we (mostly) all have underlying issues that led us to drink and will come up.

Please be kind to yourself, don't catastrophize, and try not to be overwhelmed. What we did IS overwhelming and we work to learn to handle it.

But right now- RIGHT NOW- is for staying sober. That's it.

You can do it.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dmac20 View Post
I guess today is day one..... Woo fn hoo...... The depression has already started.... Can u believe it..... That quick.... But I guess it was already there cause of course I'm an addicted and I'm sure that's just one piece that I'm trying to numb..... It only took 5 hrs b4 my optimism was was crushed..... A reminder of what my addiction has cost..... Consequences..... Reminders that every time I try I fail... Every drunken fight..... Every~ I'm always right snip~ It.... . I'm terrible.... I'm a mean and terrible person...... But only when I'm drinking....Is it possible to repair years of drinkers remorse.... Is it ever gonna be ok again..... Am I ever gonna cry tears of happiness again... Instead of pain.... Idk.. .. But sad thing is...... The only way I know how to Let it go.... Let's drink and get high.... So now what.............................................. ....
The best part about storms (snow, rain, metaphorical)? Rent some movies, pop some popcorn, and let the movie marathon begin as the storm passes through.