Proceeding with caution....

Old 06-30-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Proceeding with caution....

Well - first he makes the conscious decision to drive himself to the hospital and tell the world he is an alcoholic and needs help. Goes thru detox.....

Now, today he tells me he has made the call for professional help, he did this on his own.

He tried to hand it off to me and I said "No, this needs to start with you." And he actually called - and I actually wasn't on his ass to make the call....

Baby steps, but I'll take them. I know recovery for all of us will be hard.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Awesome--very promising start!

It's important to keep "rolling" with something like this. When I went to my first AA meeting FOR MYSELF (I'd been to dozens in support of other people in my life) and said something very definite like, "My name is Lexie and I think I'm probably pretty much ready to admit that I'm probably an alcoholic," there was no going back, in my mind.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You know, it's funny. I hear people over on the "alcoholics" side of the forum say things like, "Oh, that's so shaming--I don't know why AA has people say that." They are the ones, I think, who are still in denial.

I never felt SHAMED by that statement. Once the words were out, I felt incredible freedom. Nobody in AA is REQUIRED to make that statement. But for me, and for many others I've talked to, it's a reminder. Being an alcoholic doesn't define me in any way, but it IS a part of me--just like the need to wear glasses or the tendency to gain weight if I don't watch it. I can't ever forget it, because doing so puts me at great personal risk of harm. It's also humbling, but in the most positive sense of the word. We are all there because we share the same kinds of issues. No one there is "better" than someone else. I don't get to feel superior to the guy or woman who just got out of jail, or off the streets. I'm luckier, that's all.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I never felt SHAMED by that statement. Once the words were out, I felt incredible freedom.
Yeah - I felt the same way Codie-wise. I didn't believe I was codependent for a looong time. HA - I always thought I was too INDEPENDENT to be a Codie. Then one day it hit me, I believed it - I ACCEPTED it, and after the initial shock, I felt free as well. Like I finally knew what was wrong the whole time, and finally had an idea about how to deal with it.

((((knowthetriggers)))))

Hoping the absolute very best for you all!
Old 06-30-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have and always will say, the more work (including getting it all set up) they put into their own recovery, the more they will get out.

Good for him, and for you too!