Notices

1.75 years sober but back to square one

Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1.75 years sober but back to square one

My story is probably oh too common. After being sober for a year 3/4ths, I convinced myself I could moderate my drinking. It seemed to be going reasonably well. I would just have a couple of beers a coulle nights a week. Then I got liquor and made pina coladas with my girlfriend and I quickly was drinking on a Sunday night like the rum was coca cola again. I missed work since I got up and was too drunk to drive. Anyway, I'm back and I think I will give a substance abuse counselor a shot.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you went back out and tried to moderate as many of us have before only to find ourselves back as bad as ever or worse . I'm glad you came back here and told us what you done . You now know that moderation isn't an option and thank you for reminding us of that . I relate so much to the progression you describe in your post . Please don't look at your 1.75 years as wasted , look at it as experience and what led you to pick up again .

Good luck with everything .
Old 06-30-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
I'm sorry you went back out and tried to moderate as many of us have before only to find ourselves back as bad as ever or worse . I'm glad you came back here and told us what you done . You now know that moderation isn't an option and thank you for reminding us of that . I relate so much to the progression you describe in your post . Please don't look at your 1.75 years as wasted , look at it as experience and what led you to pick up again .

Good luck with everything .
Thank you very much. It's hard to be positive a couple days sober but your words help.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good to see you back, now you know you can't moderate stick with sobriety & stay in touch bud
Old 06-30-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Good to see you back, now you know you can't moderate stick with sobriety & stay in touch bud
Thank you!
Old 06-30-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did exactly the same thing after roughly the same period (1.5 years for me). We can't moderate. We know this!! I also know that life drinking is infinitely worse than life sober. I don't know about you but I like having control over my life, not signing it over to the bottle, who will never have my interests at heart. Just never drink again. We can do it!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back!! I attempted the moderation thing in the past as well, and found the same results as you! You had close to two years sober, that is a great amount of time, what worked for you during that time? Seeing a substance abuse counselor sounds like it may be a good idea as well.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome back.

it's a lesson hard-learned, but a powerful one.

and it could have been worse.

may you use the power of this experience to redouble your commitment to sobriety.

stick around!

Old 06-30-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I'm in the same boat mate. After more than 18months sober I'm back on Day 2 following a binge after convincing myself I could moderate and finding it really hard to not drink. Let's get back on track - we've done it before!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Phillyphan

A substance abuse counsellor sounds like a good start - what else are you planning to do for your recovery?

D
Old 06-30-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This helped me when I slipped. You may have read it, but I thought I would share just in case. Take care.

If you slip, do you return to day one?

Some people without hesitation, a slip means you return to day one. This type of attitude motivates some people to not have slips, and remain committed to their sobriety. Others find resetting the clock disheartening, and actually makes it harder for them to stay sober. Be honest with yourself, but choose the approach that best serves your sobriety.

Dr. Charlotte Kasl writes, “A slip does not erase the days of sobriety that preceded it. You can never take away a sober day. Some people think they have to start counting the days and months of sobriety all over if they relapse or have a slip. I think it is important to say the whole truth: ‘I stayed sober for two years, then I had a slip, and I’ve been sober for four years since then.’ It all counts.”

Indeed, it all counts: every day, every decision, every slip or relapse. The important thing is not to allow a slip or even a relapse to undermine your sober future. A mistake is not the end of your journey. It merely informs where you go from there, as you make your way down the road to recovery.