Notices

Don't suffer in silence

Old 06-30-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't suffer in silence

Hello everyone hope everybody is as well as can be, I just want to say that if your suffering with depression of any kind your not alone SR and the good people within it are here to help the mods here are kind patient caring & are really helpful to ask for help if you don't feel like posting on a thread send a pm no one here will look down on you I myself suffer with depression

Just want to say were a team all of us were in this together

Special thanks to Dee74

Edit: if your a guest or a newcomer the class of July has just opened up where everybody will be getting clean/sober around the same time as each other
Old 06-30-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, what SW said I've suffered from anxiety/depression for years myself. And hello to all the lurkers out there. I was a lurker myself for quite a while before I actually posted.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Soberwolf.I'm definately depressed.Many thanks for the reassurance of knowing we can pm.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anytime
Old 06-30-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Depression and addiction very often go hand in hand. Cause and effect, chicken and egg kind of thing. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder. I drank to feel less sad, but drinking made me even more sad. I didn't realize that until I quit drinking. My depression got a lot better. And through AA and therapy I have learned new tools to deal with life's challenges and deal with feelings of sadness. depression is a disease, not a moral failing. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've suffered from anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember. Alcohol made it wayyyyy worse. Sobriety is helping me work through my anxiety and depression. Things aren't perfect, and it's not always a linear process, but life is getting better Thanks for the post, Soberwolf!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for encouragement SW .
Old 06-30-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks SW

D
Old 06-30-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Absolutely, sw.
The SR community - for it's certainly that - is especially helpful for any of us who are literally alone in our suffering, for whatever reasons; chronic illness, social isolation, geographic isolation (where there's simply few, if any, sources of f2f comfort or support, or the person lacks the means to get to them), stuck mostly at home due to carer duties etc, a million different obstacles.

Here, we receive and offer real connection. It never ceases to amaze me.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I suffer from both alcoholism and depression also. They make good bed fellows. For along time I tried to treat both separately as if the weren't connected. I failed miserably at each attempt. I've now taken steps to work on both at the same time. Life's getting better little by little. Still got work to do but, I feel more confident in my efforts. Not overconfident though.

If you suffer from both please try to treat both. It works better that way. At least in my case it has.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

You guys are awesome x
Old 07-01-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

depression, anxiety and Borderline Personality Disorder checking in. i was a rock-bottom alcoholic and lost everything through drinking.

i'm over 2 years sober. if i can do this, you can.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
You guys are awesome x
And you are one of them!

xx
Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Hello everyone hope everybody is as well as can be, I just want to say that if your suffering with depression of any kind your not alone SR and the good people within it are here to help the mods here are kind patient caring & are really helpful to ask for help if you don't feel like posting on a thread send a pm no one here will look down on you I myself suffer with depression

Just want to say were a team all of us were in this together
Hi Soberwolf, thank you for posting this. It helps me to feel less alone. My depression has been kicking my a** lately after the highs/lows of making amends.

I've then let my mind tell me that my recovery must suck, because if it didn't, I wouldn't be depressed. Truly recovered folks don't get depressed so this is my fault and I suck. Maybe I really didn't have a spiritual awakening because if I did, I wouldn't be feeling this way.

Then my mind goes to the place of thinking that all that hard recovery work and therapy work was for nothing. No thoughts of picking up, no white knuckling, but who knows how long that will last? Plus I still have zero motivation to fix other aspects of my life, and I don't know why, as much as I want to fix them. It makes me depressed that I can't motivate myself to change my life in other ways that I want to.

I was told that depression and anxiety are lifted once you recover, because we're depressed and anxious because we're alcoholics--and not the other way around. I feel like an utter failure that this hasn't occurred for me. It reminds me of when my psychiatrist gently repeated my words back to him when I said to him, "I thought good nutrition would cure my depression and anxiety." How embarrassing but I needed to hear it.

It's the worst catch-22 ever. When I get depressed, I can't find the motivation to live in Steps 10, 11, and 12 and connect with God. I just fall into that big black hole of depression and I get completely stuck.

Depression keeps me from being able to work my program, and it sucks.

My depression didn't go away from not drinking. My depression and anxiety seemed to temporarily go away with my step work, but it seems to have come back. Then again maybe it's just that I haven't processed through everything that I need to process through, I don't know. I should talk with my therapist about this.

Maybe you can start a thread with how you handle your recovery with depression? That would be helpful to me and I'm sure it'd help others, too, who are going through the same thing.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow my post was all ego....sorry about that! It really goes to show just how much depression in my experience is related to my thoughts. I need to stop thinking so much.