Notices

Perspective

Old 06-30-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Perspective

Day 11 since my last drink, and Day 17 since my last all-out binge. I'm past the worst of withdrawal, feeling physically fit, mentally aware, and like I'm ever-more present in this life. I've had some thoughts rolling around in my head for a few days regarding the perspective I've gained in the past few weeks, so I thought I'd jot a few down.

When I started on day one, I never knew that I could be this at-peace with myself. I still have challenges in my life, but I am now committed to facing them head-on, and am confident that I can do so without alcohol.

My family is truly amazing. They are a literal God-send. I have four magical kids, and I'm glad that I will not miss any more weekends with them due to booze, blackouts, and hangovers. Thank goodness I quit before I lost my kids' entire childhood to drink.

When I think of all the dangerous and stupid things I did when drinking, I am so thankful to have made it to this point of recovery without injuring anyone or myself, and without getting tossed in jail. I try to think of those things every day, so that I can remain committed.

Life on Earth is a fantastic thing. I sit here at 6 in the morning, having just watched the sun rise, with the morning light filtering through the verdant greens of a Wisconsin summer. Birds are singing outside, and I now have the peace and mindfulness to sit here and enjoy it, even with the hectic day that I have in store.

For the first time in years, I'm looking forward to the future, rather than dreading it.

Feel free to add your own new perspectives. More later. Have a fantastic day everyone!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

Awesome post, thanks for sharing, made my day!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep up the great work, Username. You can do this!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Just remember this perspective when things get a little rocky (and they will) and you'll be fine.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning and thank you! I'm so happy for you....you're doing great and your post is inspiring.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just over 4 months sober...For the first time in a very long time, I am not concerned with trying to be the best at everything, just so I can fail and have a reason to hate myself for being a "loser." I'm starting to accept myself. For the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to the future. For the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to letting go of my childish dependency on drugs and alcohol so that I can become more emotionally and socially mature.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Just remember this perspective when things get a little rocky (and they will) and you'll be fine.
^^ This.

Pink Cloud time is wonderful - enjoy and learn and really practice recovery steps during this time. You will need it as the time goes on - which it will, you can do it!- in early recovery and in life.
See: http://alcoholrehab.com/addiction-recovery/pink-cloud/

Here's a good read: https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

You don't sound like you are suffering significant physical effects but there can be a lag in those catching up- esp as life inevitably comes in- and it will probably be unexpected. "Whoa, I was feeling on top of all this sober stuff!"

I write all this as much to myself as to you - I was fortunate to have much of my first 100 days as pink sky (as I call it)- and have just in the last couple of weeks had the emotionally thawing REALLY come out. I am at 129 days today.

Good luck, shore up and keep going!!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

August and doggone, thanks for the insights. Yes, that is exactly why I'm writing this. I know that there are challenges to come; I've been sober for a while before for about 4 months. I want to keep this thread bookmarked so that when those challenges arrive, I can review and re-affirm the value of living life sober.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great to hear! And- have you seen the "Class of" threads? Perhaps join the June class where you will find others who have quit this month. I have found the Feb class a good place to read and engage.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Yup, I've been taking part in the June thread since I first logged on.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I really like your perspective. My biggest gift I have given myself is the ability to say no. No, I cannot plan that party for you. No, I cannot babysit your children this weekend. No, I don't want a drink. I was always terrible at saying no. Took sober eyes to see it.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Here's another (albeit small) one: For the first time in months, I'm scheduling appointments on Mondays, because I know I won't be suffering from a raging hangover.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Day 12. Overcast this morning, but supposed to be sunny and beautiful later and throughout the weekend. What I thought was just a sinus infection is doing something weird to my TMJ and lower jaw, causing a heckuva lot of pain, so it looks like it's back to the doctor today.

Anyway, here's today's thought coming out of the new perspective that sobriety has given me. It's amazing the lengths your AV will go to, in order to normalize your drinking. When out and about while binging, I would convince myself that most everyone I saw was also drunk or drinking, and that was the normal way of the world (I used to think this when I smoked a lot of weed as well). I wasn't that different or crazy from the rest of the world, because everyone was doing it!

Hope everyone has a great Friday.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Username
Old 07-01-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your post - great stuff Username

D
Old 07-01-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Thanks for sharing. I really like your perspective. My biggest gift I have given myself is the ability to say no. No, I cannot plan that party for you. No, I cannot babysit your children this weekend. No, I don't want a drink. I was always terrible at saying no. Took sober eyes to see it.
I didn't realize how much of a pleaser I was, either- not really. This is a BIG one for me now that I am sober. I'm going to practice my No's, just like you wrote out Thanks!
Old 07-05-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Day 16 since my last drink, day 22 since the last binge. Some tough times over the holiday weekend, but made it through and happier for it.

Today's new perspective--I've realized that as I get further along in my recovery, I've had to begin re-evaluating just what I'm capable of. Drinking held me back from accomplishing so much and meeting my potential. This realization came over the weekend, as I finished several household projects in a few days that would have taken me a month to complete had I still been drinking.

Happy Tuesday all!
Old 07-05-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, Username. Good wishes on your sober journey.

At 2.5 years sober there are ups and there are downs.

I am learning to manage expectations, foster self-compassion, become more aware of judgmental thinking.

I am no different than anybody else and when I think I am? I need to look at myself more closely.

Someone at an AA meeting said this: "I used to care what people thought of me and I didn't care how I made other people feel. Now I care more about how I make other people feel and I don't care what other people think of me."

To me this means, act with kindness towards self and others and stop worrying about the opinions of others. Something to work towards.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
Here's another (albeit small) one: For the first time in months, I'm scheduling appointments on Mondays, because I know I won't be suffering from a raging hangover.
Awesome!! Doesn't that feel great?! My day is Wed for "Stuff" since it is my one week day completely off.

While it is one way really UN-fun to deal with bills (medical debt - ugh) I am also able to set aside specific times to address those. Took me a couple of months to be able to do that.

Keep going!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Day 17 since my last drink, and Day 23 since my last binge.

Today's perspective: I turn 41 tomorrow, and for the first time in a long time, I'm "present" enough to contemplate getting older, and be excited for what the next year will bring.