Notices

Chickenlady's Accountability thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chickenlady's Accountability thread

I hope that this is appropriate, I think having a thread that I can view my journey and check in each day would be a good idea for me. So here goes day one. Recommitting to sobriety and keeping a clear head. At the beginning of summer I decided I was going to work on being a healthier, well rounded person in my 30s and generally better than I was in my 20s. Which led me to thinking I could drink as long as I practiced moderation. It worked, but only for a little while, and I'm embarrassed that I couldn't be like my other friends and just have a cocktail and be done. It's terrifying having to be an all or nothing person.

So here I am being a non-drinker, I have no idea why I have so much shame in that when I will proudly state that I quit smoking and am a non-smoker for many years now. I feel like my sobriety has to be a secret like it's a bigger judgement being labeled an alcoholic in recovery and my drunk black out state is romanticized. Society is funny that way I guess.

So another thing I'll do here is daily gratitude and a one liner about something beautiful in my life (be prepared to read a ton about my baby girl, sorry in advance lol!) I'm currently reading Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project and I'm catching a lot of inspiration from it.

🌻When you feel like giving up on recovery, remember why you've held on for so long.🌻
Old 06-29-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Accountability threads help, I believe. And I love hearing about kiddos.....I have a big baby girl so I'll relate!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent idea
Old 06-29-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a great idea chickenlady. I look forward to being on this journey with you and seeing you grow xxx
Old 06-29-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great idea! I know posting in the June class thread has helped me tremendously with my accountability.

I definitely hear you about the shame. Unfortunately, our society is such a catch 22. Alcohol seems to be shoved in your face almost everywhere and then for those of us that can't handle it we are shamed and ostracized. I think the tide is starting to turn slightly on that though. I am just now starting to get comfortable with admitting I am an alcoholic and I have secretly known I was for about 8 years.

I've heard a lot of great things about that book...I might have to check it out
Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support!
Haley, so far I like it, makes a lot of sense for my life right now. I live a really good one, but I'm constantly negative and feeling unhappy for no good reason. Add in the excessive drinking, and it's a miserable life for such a lucky gal. So I'm out to appreciate my family, my work, and myself and not dwell in negativity. Kicking the booze to the curb will add so much happiness to my life, I know it will.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rocking the baby to sleep so taking a moment to reflect on day one.
First, I'm grateful to have a place like sr that I can reach out in a moments notice and find people that want me to succeed.

Today's beautiful moment: watching our 7 year old son walk our 8 month old daughter around the house, her tiny hands wrapped around his dirty fingers.

Life is beautiful, I can do this sobriety thing, I can make my life something well lived and not just a blur ending in a painful alcohol related death.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Getting day two underway! Here's my plan for the day, be firm but gentle with myself. Stay busy, stay positive. First I've got to work, blech. 😣
After work I'm headed to Crossfit to lift some weight, then heading home for a big dinner, shower, play with my kids, finish folding laundry, then in bed early to finish the Happiness Project book. I also need to make some plans for this long weekend we're about to have. Since I'm sitting in my car, I definitely need to add cleaning the car to the list. It's pretty gross, but kids destroy your stuff.
🌻🌻Positive vibes only for today. 🏖🦄
Old 06-30-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Doing great x
Old 06-30-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love your thread!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your doing great!
Plans are huge, especially early on. Great that you realize that. Now just keep building on it
Old 06-30-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That sounds like an amazing day you've got planned!!!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all!
Haley, I've failed so many times before and I know it's because I didn't have a real plan.

My workout was good, I actually cried because I couldn't make the lift like I wanted, but it's all in my head and I just need to keep practicing. I failed my jerks, it's a pretty tough lift for me and I just couldn't get myself under the darn bar. I got stuck at the gym due to the downpour, so I hung out and worked on progressing my pullups till the rain died down.
Got back, ate a ton of food, chatted with hubs, played with kids, now I just need to fold the dang laundry. I really hate it for some reason, folding laundry is just awful.
Told the hubs that I was putting maximal effort towards quitting drinking, he agreed that it was definitely time and he'd been worried about how many bottles were going into the trash. Basically, I gotta do this or I'm gonna die.

Today's gratitude is for my understanding husband. He knows how big this is for me and I know he'll be supportive. Life is changing for us and we're growing up and changing together, this is a giant change for our family, but it is the best thing I can do for us.

Today's beautiful moment: I walked in to the bean's room this morning with a big smile and said, "HI GOOD MORNING BEAUTIFUL!!" and I swear she said HI back!! Also with a big fat smile for me.❤❤❤❤

🌻🌻"Every new day is a chance to change your life." 🌻🌻
Old 07-01-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I meant to write out my plan this morning, but didn't make the time. I think my baby may be getting a sinus infection, so I only worked four hours and then brought her home. Gave her some tylenol and sprayed saline in her nose, which she hated. She has a doc appointment next week and she's been pretty happy, I think she just wanted her mommy. So we ran our pre holiday grocery store errands, we have tons of meat and veggies, all very healthy food. I'm waiting for the hubs to get home, then I'm headed to the gym for a pretty brutal workout.
Friday nights we typically snack and watch movies, and I'm going to finally finish my book, since Wy wants to go to the library tomorrow afternoon. I plan to keep myself busy and if I start to feel fidgety then I'll just go to bed. I didn't sleep very well last night so I'll probably be ready to sleep by 7 tonight. I'll still do my gratitude and beautiful moment check in before bed, I just need to suck down some coffee before I get to the gym. Super tired over here. 😪
Old 07-01-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like a wonderful day so far. Keep it up you inspire me xxx
Old 07-01-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today has been a major challenge. I'm super emotional and some of that is probably due to my monthly chick hormones. Being a lady is the pits sometimes.
My best buddy came to me looking for booze when she had a rough day, and when I told her that I was getting sober she was less than supportive. I told her, good thing I wasn't doing it for her and told her she was being a jerk and that I was being serious. She is a normal drinker and really doesn't understand what the issue is. She ended up hanging out and chatting for a bit and we had a nice time.

Day 3 is over!! I am going to lie in bed, sip my tea, and read my book. Feeling pretty great about it too.

Today's beautiful moment, my baby has been sick and just wanted her mommy, so I rocked her to sleep. She has some sort of sinus flare up and her little nasal whimpers were just so adorable and sad all the same time.

Today's gratitude is for my gym and all the people in it. I am so grateful to be a part of such an encouraging and loving crossfit community. I killed my workout today💪. I didn't struggle with hydration and I felt like such a bad ass 🦄. My coach and gym mates were hollering and congratulating my efforts. Made me feel amazing. Love them!

🌻🌻The best project you'll ever work on is you.🌻🌻
Old 07-01-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good for you on day 3 it's tough for those without the obsession to drink to understand what it's like for those of us who have it. I can't understand compulsive gambling, for example. But I guess maybe that's cuz I'm such a cheapskate... And not optimistic about winning 😜

Glad u had a good workout. Do any snatches or cleans today?
Old 07-01-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did squats and bench presses and a nasty pull up ladder at my box today

Working out is fantastic sober!
Old 07-01-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

3 days - a wonderful accomplishment Chickenlady. Proud of you.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Zenlifter, I'm supposed to be working on snatches right now, but I woke up with a sore throat and feel like crud. Thinking my baby must have passed along her sickness to me. If I feel better later in the day, I'll make it my evening activity.

Hawkeye, this was nuts what we did: "DianneFranElizabeth” Complete for time of:
21-15-9
Handstand Push-ups
Deadlifts (225/155)
Thrusters (95/65)
Pull-ups
Squats Cleans (135/95)
Ring Dips
So I banded and scaled all of the bodyweight movements, I'm a big gal and these are tough for me, but I'm getting better. I Rxd all but the squat clean that I left at 80. But I still got 216 reps done in 40 minutes cap. So, I'm extremely proud of myself considering I only did 197 reps this time last year when I scaled everything...and was also pregnant but I'm still proud. 😄 And yes, working out fully hydrated is amazing. It gets so hot in my box here in Florida that I would feel like I was going to die, yesterday was awesome.
I love my Crossfit and will always keep going back. I've always been a bigger gal and I've done everything under the sun to stay fit, I even trained for and ran a half marathon once.😣 But crossfit and lifting is the only thing I enjoy and look forward to. Gotta do what you love.