Notices

Question about scars/employment

Old 06-28-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Question about scars/employment

Oops, new thread. Oh well, I hardly ever post here.

I have no one to really ask about this, but I have a lot of scars in visible places from many years of cutting myself. If you had scars, would you apply for jobs on the basis of whether or not wearing long sleeves all year was a problem? I normally don't really give a s*** about who sees my arms, but with employers and coworkers I feel a bit differently because I have my mask on at work. I don't even know if that's something you can be fired over (is it??). I also have tattoos, but tattoos are considered relatively normal these days, so I'm not worried about those.

Anyway, I'm applying for welfare tomorrow. :s F***ing useless degree. I wish I could roll back time and go into engineering or geology or something where there are jobs. #poorlifechoices
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a cutter, so I have no experience to share.
What have you done at University or in previous jobs?

D
Old 06-28-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not a cutter, so I have no experience to share.
What have you done at University or in previous jobs?

D
I took molecular biology, and I have experience being a photolab tech for 5 years. That's it. I didn't do too well in school though, my average was like a B+/ A-. Sucks.

There's nothing to do with just a degree in bio.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello,

Not sure your exact specialty, but I know jobs in the sciences are huge in California. Were you in a lab/research setting? Have you considered working with a head hunter to help with he job process? Which online sites have you used? Are there some particular to your field?

As for the cutting, I would wear a long sleeve shirt on the interview if that is what makes you feel comfortable, but I think what you wear after is again up to what makes you most comfortable.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would say focus on your sobriety 110%
Old 06-29-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How long has it been since you cut? Many of the the scars do go away in time. Try using Vitamin E oil and coconut oil on them.

Yes, wear a long sleeve shirt...lots of light weight materials out there. Work places are AC'd so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have plenty of scars and I don't hide them. I have tattoos as well, and I don't hide them either. But if I were going to interviews now, I would wear long sleeves, simply because I would want them to hire ME and not my problems.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I run a recruitment company play it safe keep them covered up - depends on your line of work I guess - but as a general rule etc.
when people hire never forget they are usually looking for reasons to say NO not reasons to say yes. Not consciously it's just how people think.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post

I have no one to really ask about this, but I have a lot of scars in visible places from many years of cutting myself. If you had scars, would you apply for jobs on the basis of whether or not wearing long sleeves all year was a problem? I normally don't really give a s*** about who sees my arms, but with employers and coworkers I feel a bit differently because I have my mask on at work. I don't even know if that's something you can be fired over (is it??). I also have tattoos, but tattoos are considered relatively normal these days, so I'm not worried about those.

Anyway, I'm applying for welfare tomorrow. :s F***ing useless degree. I wish I could roll back time and go into engineering or geology or something where there are jobs. #poorlifechoices
I wouldn't think twice about long sleeves. I had to wear long sleeves for two weeks after my recent hospital stay. (I had IVs all up and down my arms). I'm now wearing 3/4s sleeves. Thankfully, all the bruises (from being drunk, not eating, alcohol) have gone away on my legs. I am able to wear shorts again.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As part of receiving welfare, do you have an employment case manager? Although you may not have the most relevant degree, if you are highly motivated to work, can present yourself professionally (long sleeves or not), and follow through on your commitments, you should be very well-positioned to find a job, even if it's not in your chosen field initially.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Looks like you're in Canada and I do not really know what the labor laws are out there; however, in the US most states have laws on the books which would prevent this sort of discrimination. It could also be in violation of American's With Disabilities Act(ADA), because depression and its symptoms (self-harm can be covered by this) are protected disabilities. Many states, however, have 'At-Will' clauses which allow an employer to terminate you without providing any formal reason. At-will terminations without cause (meaning there was no gross misconduct such as theft, violence, etc.) enable employees to be eligible for unemployment benefits. I would be inclined to believe that Canada (a much more progressive nation than the US) has similar or more enhanced protections on the books.

Maybe seeing if you are entitled to welfare benefits could be a good option for you. Perhaps it can enable you to continue your education to get a degree that you really desire? Or possibly obtain certifications which can enhance your degree and make it easier to find a job?

Regardless of what you decide to do I wish you the best. It does not sound like you are practicing self-harm anymore and I want to commend you for that. Keep focused on your mental health and well being. Also consider using the services of a staffing agency. Your degree may have transferable skills to other industries that you may not understand yet.

Good luck and keep coming back.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I took molecular biology, and I have experience being a photolab tech for 5 years. That's it. I didn't do too well in school though, my average was like a B+/ A-. Sucks.

There's nothing to do with just a degree in bio.
whoa there, young lady. time to stop beatin yourself up. B+/A- average rocks!!!

MAYBE, just MAYBE some of what ya learned in molecular biology can be applied to another degree?

you've got a lot of life ahead of ya. youre already making changes.
give time time.