Notices

Shouldn't it be harder?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shouldn't it be harder?

Hi everyone, I've been sober for over 8 months and have enjoyed the benefits of being able to remember things, feel good in the mornings and so on. The only thing I don't like about it is my sweet tooth!

I found it a little uncomfortable at first, maybe because drinking at 5pm was my habit for many years. Sometimes I wish I could have a glass of wine at dinner if I'm out at a restaurant. And I've avoided evening social events where the alcohol flows freely.

But overall, I haven't found it difficult to remain sober. My ex says it's because I haven't had any real challenges to face. Oh? Let's see, I guess if you call going through a divorce, seeing your kid only 50% of the time, not having a source of income because you stayed home to raise your children, having your triplets all leave for college at the same time and worry about how you're going to help them financially, having to move from the house you've lived in for 20 years, having no nest egg at 52 ....EASY, then I guess I haven't had any "real challenges." Yeah, I'm just sailing through life here!

I don't want to be arrogant at only 8 months in. I've read here about the disastrous results of taking your sobriety for granted. And I empathize with those that find each hour of sobriety almost impossible to accomplish.

I dunno, I guess I should just be glad that it's not a daily struggle. Maybe I haven't been sober long enough to even write this.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 8 months be grateful you have found it not as hard even with what you have been through which i commend and keep up the good work bud
Old 06-28-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
Hi everyone, I've been sober for over 8 months and have enjoyed the benefits of being able to remember things, feel good in the mornings and so on. The only thing I don't like about it is my sweet tooth!

I found it a little uncomfortable at first, maybe because drinking at 5pm was my habit for many years. Sometimes I wish I could have a glass of wine at dinner if I'm out at a restaurant. And I've avoided evening social events where the alcohol flows freely.

But overall, I haven't found it difficult to remain sober. My ex says it's because I haven't had any real challenges to face. Oh? Let's see, I guess if you call going through a divorce, seeing your kid only 50% of the time, not having a source of income because you stayed home to raise your children, having your triplets all leave for college at the same time and worry about how you're going to help them financially, having to move from the house you've lived in for 20 years, having no nest egg at 52 ....EASY, then I guess I haven't had any "real challenges." Yeah, I'm just sailing through life here!

I don't want to be arrogant at only 8 months in. I've read here about the disastrous results of taking your sobriety for granted. And I empathize with those that find each hour of sobriety almost impossible to accomplish.

I dunno, I guess I should just be glad that it's not a daily struggle. Maybe I haven't been sober long enough to even write this.

And you know what the scary thing about all this is? One day, you will wake up thinking how good you feel, how many stressful scenarios you've overcome, and then decide to drink for no reason other than it's a bright and sunny day, lol.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Sorry for all the turmoil. Well what does your ex know anyway right? haha!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with soberwolf - that is a gratitude bullet-point right there.

I didn't find it particularly difficult this time either - after the first six months.

But I was sober for 18 years previously.

Let me just reiterate that picking up that first drink again will lead back to misery.

Got the tee-shirt.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know that its a guarantee that uncorked, or anyone else, will do this.

I can only speak for myself....and today I won't drink
Old 06-28-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you have been through a lot and congratulations on 8 months, I relate to your story big time one thing we can do is stay sober today have a game plan and keep moving ahead and stay connected to recovery
Old 06-28-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was sober for 9 months, several years ago. I went to an outpatient therapy group twice a week, and I was one of the few who were not court-ordered to be there. Drinking was causing me problems with my husband, but I was still managing to excel at my full-time job, attend graduate school, and fulfill my responsibilities as a parent to two toddlers.
The other members of my group really seemed to struggle, but I was feeling good (not to mention pretty smug, if I'm being honest).

I ended up going to a party on Christmas Eve and having a couple of glasses of wine, thus putting in motion years of off-and-on HELL. These days, I am terrified of complacency and that is the only thing I would worry about if I were you...that the worst could be lying in wait.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

8 months of sobriety is great...stay the course
Old 06-28-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"My ex says it's because I haven't had any real challenges to face."

you can believe her blahblahblah
or
see that you are having challenges but you've decided alcohol isn't the solution for crap and decided to live life on lifes terms and live in the solutions.

you not having a daily struggle to drink is awesome!
just remember that can change in a split second and keep on being greatful youre not having a struggle.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvmygirls View Post
These days, I am terrified of complacency and that is the only thing I would worry about if I were you...that the worst could be lying in wait.
I agree. That's my fear, being complacent because it's not a daily struggle. Which is why I put it out there for the more experienced abstainers. Thank you.